• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 farfalla8

farfalla8

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 22:07

So looking at Kian in the the Friars Keep walkthrough, it seems that Kian's skin tone is a lot lighter than it was in Dreamfall. I showed my sister who hadn't played the games a screenshot of Kian in Dreamfall, a screenshot of Kian in Chapters, and Kian's concept art. She said in Dreamfall and the concept art he seemed to be nonwhite, but in Chapters she thought he looked white. She pointed out that it could be because his hair seems to be more brown instead of black.

I wanted to bring this up because I love the diversity TLJ has as a series, and Kian has always been not white to me and you can definitely tell from looking at his concept art, but I'm concerned about his apparent lighter appearance in Chapters.

I'm hoping it could be just the lighting, or it could be just because it is pre alpha footage. Maybe his skin tone is the same and I'm just going crazy. What I do know is that Ragnar would never allow him to be intentionally whitewashed, so if it can be fixed, I sure hope it is. 

I am not attacking anyone whatsoever I just wanted to drop a friendly post on the small chance someone on the team might see it and put my fears to rest.

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:36

Kian has definitively not turned white in DFC,. I think it's the lighting in the Friars Keep playing tricks on your eyes.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 13:30

Actually, his skin has become kinda of pasty because he been sitting in a dungeon for so long. :D

#4 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 April 2014 - 17:35

So looking at Kian in the the Friars Keep walkthrough, it seems that Kian's skin tone is a lot lighter than it was in Dreamfall. I showed my sister who hadn't played the games a screenshot of Kian in Dreamfall, a screenshot of Kian in Chapters, and Kian's concept art. She said in Dreamfall and the concept art he seemed to be nonwhite, but in Chapters she thought he looked white. She pointed out that it could be because his hair seems to be more brown instead of black.

I wanted to bring this up because I love the diversity TLJ has as a series, and Kian has always been not white to me and you can definitely tell from looking at his concept art, but I'm concerned about his apparent lighter appearance in Chapters.

I'm hoping it could be just the lighting, or it could be just because it is pre alpha footage. Maybe his skin tone is the same and I'm just going crazy. What I do know is that Ragnar would never allow him to be intentionally whitewashed, so if it can be fixed, I sure hope it is. 

I am not attacking anyone whatsoever I just wanted to drop a friendly post on the small chance someone on the team might see it and put my fears to rest.

Kian is, in fact, quite a bit darker than he was in Dreamfall. At least, that's the intention: Kian was always dark-skinned, but he didn't look his best in the previous game. We've been very conscious of his appearance, especially since we've been tweaking and refining it over time, and it's important to us that Kian represents a different ethnic background and culture.

In Friar's Keep, Kian is quite shiny & sweaty, however, and so he might come across as a bit lighter than intended. Rest assured that this isn't a proper reflection (ha!) of his real skin tone. Kian has dark brown skin, and we're not messing with that.

• demi_person, Layara and BummsGeordy like this

#5 farfalla8

farfalla8

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:34

Wow, thank you so much for the reply, Ragnar! That's very good to hear! :) My fears are certainly put to rest now! :D

#6 gameshoes3003

gameshoes3003

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:43

Kian is, in fact, quite a bit darker than he was in Dreamfall. At least, that's the intention: Kian was always dark-skinned, but he didn't look his best in the previous game. We've been very conscious of his appearance, especially since we've been tweaking and refining it over time, and it's important to us that Kian represents a different ethnic background and culture.

In Friar's Keep, Kian is quite shiny & sweaty, however, and so he might come across as a bit lighter than intended. Rest assured that this isn't a proper reflection (ha!) of his real skin tone. Kian has dark brown skin, and we're not messing with that.

It's nice seeing the dev talk to the community about the small things :D

Can't play because of bugs or want to watch just ONE of many ways to play the game?

Watch my Let's Play!

#7 Jemobulas

Jemobulas

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBulgaria - Varna

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:08

True. It seems that the smaller the developer team is, the more care it shows about it's fans. Thumbs up to RTG!

Jemobulas: Eternal fan of The Longest Journey saga seeking to help for the development of Dreamfall Chapters in any way possible!

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 April 2014 - 17:08

True. It seems that the smaller the developer team is, the more care it shows about it's fans. Thumbs up to RTG!

My guess is that bigger teams care too, but find it harder to take the responsibility of keeping in touch.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#9 Jemobulas

Jemobulas

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBulgaria - Varna

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:34

Sometimes yes, but I've often times come across companies who find it hard to also take the responsibility of customer support & general wishes about how their games should be.

But yes ofcourse - I don't claim that all big companies are like that. The general purpose of my statement was to be a shout-out to our nice developer team here. ;)

Jemobulas: Eternal fan of The Longest Journey saga seeking to help for the development of Dreamfall Chapters in any way possible!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kian alvane, dreamfall chapters, kian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users