17 replies to this topic

#1 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6151 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 21:35

We're resorting to youtube videos a lot these days, because we can embed them without problems. But these are usually rather cumbersome, particularly when every post has two of them. Is there any way to make it possible for users to embed bandcamp tracks and soundcloud as well? I think it's possible on some forums...

The second request would be to, upon posting, automatically substitute the terms "SJW" and "Social Justice Warrior" with something like "funny hair and hat person". E. g. the Idle Thumbs forum has similar functions in place (with the term "politically correct", in fact, which you just can't write on this forum). :)

• Bruno likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#2 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:15

The second request would be to, upon posting, automatically substitute the terms "SJW" and "Social Justice Warrior" with something like "funny hair and hat person". E. g. the Idle Thumbs forum has similar functions in place (with the term "politically correct", in fact, which you just can't write on this forum). :)

Oh, I definitely second this! :D

• Vainamoinen likes this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 July 2015 - 00:31

I know a handful of embeds from other websites (beyond Twitter and Youtube) do work. So I'll play around with a few things and see if there's a way to do those as well. I think that's a great idea. I don't know when Morten will have a chance to look into it, but yeah.

As to the latter, if it's half as amusing as the browser extension that replaces "Millenials" with "Snake People" then I support this.
  • Vainamoinen and merryawe like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:05

I don't quite know if there is an existing hook/plugin that replaces certain terms as you mentioned, but I'll look around though.

I'm pretty sure there's something I can find to make it possible to increase the number of website links/features that can be embedded in posts. I'll look into this as well when I have the time for it. :)

• Vainamoinen, khh, merryawe and 1 other like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6151 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:14

Browser extensions limit the change to your own browser... not quite what I was going after here. The idlethumbs forum – and I think it's based on the same forum software as the RTG forum – basically implements that as a mandatory autocorrect feature.

You type 'politically correct', you hit the post button, and out comes 'opinionated in a way that is different from me', for everyone to see. :P

• Morten likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#6 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:36

I think Morten meant hook/plugin for the forum software, rather than for peoples' browsers. At least that's how he's talked about these forum software tweaks before :)

(I'm not sure if me understanding that V was misunderstanding is the correct understanding :P [and now that word has lost its meaning and I don't know if I'm Englishing well enough])
  • Morten, Vainamoinen and Bruno like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 July 2015 - 13:32

Okay. I just did a cursory look on Google to see what came up (because I'm curious).

It looks like at the very least, SoundCloud embeds shouldn't be too tricky? I mean...I'm not Morten, but they have a section on their website for how to set it up on forums that use BBCode. So...hopefully that means it's not too difficult. Though there may be an easy plugin that can just be nabbed and plunked in to make it even easier. BandCamp seems possible as well, though I'm not seeing a clear and obvious way to do it (like...you know...instructions on their website). 

So yeah, fingers crossed we can get one or both of those in the future. :) 

Oh, and the only reason I mentioned browser extensions was because I came across this one a little while back and it's amusing (to me) in a similar way.  

snake-people-1432762236.png?quality=0.85

I didn't assume it would work the same way. :) 

• Vainamoinen likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 02 July 2015 - 13:39

Oh, and the only reason I mentioned browser extensions was because I came across this one a little while back and it's amusing (to me) in a similar way.  

Ah, so it was you who mentioned the browser extensions, and that's where my whole misunderstanding-misunderstanding came from? That's what you get for skimming forums instead of properly sitting down to read :P

But yeah, afaik/iirc, most of the tweaks that have been done on the forum so far has been pre-existing IP.Board hooks/plugins. (but, um, I don't really know what I'm talking about here, so...)

#9 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 07 July 2015 - 00:39

Soundcloud track embedding would be awesome, especially for the "What are you Listening to?" thread.

• Vainamoinen and khh like this

#10 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6151 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 15:22

Soundcloud track embedding would be awesome, especially for the "What are you Listening to?" thread.

Or something like that, indeed. With six, seven, eight, nine youtube embeds on a single page, my browser staggers (and occasionally falls). The footprint of soundcloud or bandcamp embeds might be much smaller.

#11 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:23

Soundcloud BBCode: Check 

(Red Soundcloud icon in WYSIWYG. Instructions in popup BBCode form.)

First option chooses the visual style of the embedded player. ' ' (empty) or '000000' (hex color ID) will select the normal style with the selected hex color value as the color of the play-button.

Inputting "visual" in this field will embed the visual style player.

From my tests, these style options seem to bug out sometimes and only display the "visual" style player. (This may be due to cached content and me trying out different stuff in multiple edits of the same post).

To get the track ID; go to the selected track on Soundcloud.com, select Share -> Embed. In the URL/code that shows there, find the part with "tracks/XXXXXXXXX" (nine digit ID) and paste this ID into the Content section of the BBCode form.

• agirlnamedbob, khh, toremygg and 1 other like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:57

BandCamp BBCode: Check

Currently this only supports embedding an album by its album ID. This is because BandCamp embed links for specific songs need more information than only a track ID. For this to work, I would have to write some more extensive PHP code to process more info.

To embed; press the "Special BBCode"-button in the WYSIWYG (third button from the left on the upper row). Select "BandCamp".

To get the album ID; go to the selected album on BandCamp.com, select Share/Embed. In the URL/code that shows there, find the part with "album=XXXXXXXXXX" (ten digit ID) and paste into the Content section of the BBCode form.

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen, khh and 3 others like this

#13 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 August 2015 - 13:07

Normal SoundCloud embed:

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen and 3 others like this

#14 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 August 2015 - 13:10

Visual style SoundCloud embed:

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen and 3 others like this

#15 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6151 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 13:22

INCREDIBLE. Thanks!!

• Morten likes this

#16 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:00

BandCamp BBCode: Check
Currently this only supports embedding an album by its album ID. This is because BandCamp embed links for specific songs need more information than only a track ID. For this to work, I would have to write some more extensive PHP code to process more info.
To embed; press the "Special BBCode"-button in the WYSIWYG (third button from the left on the upper row). Select "BandCamp".
To get the album ID; go to the selected album on BandCamp.com, select Share/Embed. In the URL/code that shows there, find the part with "album=XXXXXXXXXX" (ten digit ID) and paste into the Content section of the BBCode form.

Note:
This embed breaks the mobile view a bit, at least on my phone (Samsung S5, chrome, mobile view). It is too wide for the post "box", so I can scroll a bit sideways when a topic has one of those embeds. Not a huge problem or anything (and I'm not sure if anything can be done about it), but I thought it was worth noting. All of the others resize/adapt correctly.

Again, not really a problem, since I don't expect the embed to being used enough for seeing it all the time (aka: if fix isn't easy, then keep it like it is rather than removing it)
:)
  • Morten likes this

#17 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 August 2015 - 13:16

Okay. Good to know. 

Might be some kind of tweak I can make so that the iframe doesn't take up too much space. Maybe it's fixable by tweaking some values in the embedded iframe. :)

• Tina likes this

#18 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 August 2015 - 13:43

Hmm.. Seems as though the BandCamp embedded player has fixed size values which does not follow the parent iframe, meaning I can't manage the size of the actual player to be displayed relative to the screen/browser window size unfortunately.

Though the URL for the player has a "size=venti" field, I can't seem to get any different results by changing this value (EDIT: "size" values are different fixed-size presets made by BandCamp, so this cannot be changed to other values). I'll try to figure out more regarding this at a later time. :)

• khh, Mr_Russ and br305893 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users