• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DraicKin39

DraicKin39

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 16:44

First off, I would like to thank the whole development team for making this great game. The story was very well written and there were some very funny conversations you could have throughout the game. There was also two very interesting worlds to explore and the plot twists were epic in the game. I never played The Longest Journey or Dreamfall ever prior to just finishing Longest Journey just now in 2015. I think the game's story is definitely one of the best out there. I am a little upset though that it feels like by the end of the game there were several unresolved parts of the plot. Like whatever happened to Cortez and Jacob in Stark? Also, it just felt like I didn't make much of a difference in the world of the game. April helps a few people in the long run, but she doesn't change anything major in regards to the balance, Vanguard or the whole overarching story of the two worlds and the balance. I wish by the end I would have made some sort of significant difference. I haven't played Dreamfall, but hear it has a cliffhanger ending with many aspects unresolved supposedly. I'll have to find out for myself. Ultimately though, if the developers read this please by the end of Dreamfall Chapters try to not leave loose ends in the plot. I don't know if Dreamfall Chapters is a different story in the same universe, but I hope it at least resolves what happens at the end of Longest Journey and Dreamfall too if the game truly does end on a cliffhanger.

• Jecica, agirlnamedbob, khh and 4 others like this

#2 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 June 2015 - 21:23

Congrats for finishing TLJ. Dreamfall isn't a sequel to TLJ. It is follow-up set 10 years after TLJ wirh diffrent story. Its first part of Dreamer Cycle duology. It left tons of loose ends, much more than TLJ. Dreamfall Chapters are second and final part of duology. Its unlikely that Chapters will resolve loose ends from TLJ. To be honest DFC even don't resolve much of loose ends from Dreamfall as for Book Three. But there are ties to TLJ. There were/are plans for true sequel to TLJ titled The Longest Journey Home. It would tell story about April journey in 10 years between TLJ and DF and also after Dreamfall Chapters. Fingers crossed that TLJH will release oneday...

According to Lady Alvane April task in TLJ changed fate of Balance forever. It was impact point. She saved Guardian from Chaos. But you must know that according to prophecy April saved Balance in TLJ only to destroy it later. Stark and Arcadia will be reunificated. But this will happen sometime after events from Dreamfall Chapters during War Of The Balance.
  • Tiago likes this

#3 Future Markus

Future Markus

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:14

Heh, yeah, the TLJ saga is known for having lots of unresolved plot threads between games. Chalk it up to Ragnar's desire to leave himself breathing room for sequels.

Dreamfall was particularly bad in this respect, mostly because it was meant to get a sequel right away. But hey, now that you can play (part of) DFC, you don't need to worry about that. It is good, definitely worth a playthrough, especially considering it's not so incredibly long as TLJ. :-)

• Pawlo_86 likes this

#4 Tiago

Tiago

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 09 July 2015 - 21:41

The Longest Journey, Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters are all part of the same continuity. DF and DFC does have ties with TLJ, and shares some of the characters. Without spoiling anything, I can say that those ties get stronger in book 3 of DFC, when key events of TLJ are directly brought up under interesting circumstances. This raises some interesting possibilities about the connection with TLJ, but what they mean to the overall narrative is still to be seen though :P

By the way, I remember hearing that DFC will close the plot threads of DF, which does not means that all mysteries will be solved, and will have a proper end. That being said, the very first scene of DFC does address one of the major cliffhanger points of DF. Suffice to say that it is very emotional, especially if you have played the previous games in order to know the context.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

نDo4gzZF.png

#5 cerb998

cerb998

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 18:28

Also, it just felt like I didn't make much of a difference in the world of the game. April helps a few people in the long run, but she doesn't change anything major in regards to the balance, Vanguard or the whole overarching story of the two worlds and the balance. 

She did a lot more than help a few people imo. April saved the world from Jacob McAllen by "fixing" Gordon Halloway, also neutralising the threat of Gordon's individual logic and chaos aspects, and preserved the balance when the worlds were starting to cross over after the previous guardian disappeared. She saved the White Kin, her sister. She reconciled the Maerum and Alatien, and saved the Banda from the Gribbler. 

• Guyra likes this

#6 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1720 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:25

Nice to hear you enjoyed it!

I have to agree with cerb998; April helped a huge amount of people. In fact, "fixing" Gordon pretty much means her actions has had an impact on every living creature in both worlds, more or less. Though they'd be none the wiser. And that's in addition to the more direct impact she has, some of which cerb mentions above.

As far as loose threads, etc., Dreamfall is kind of like a sequel after a sequel that never happened. Hopefully TLJ Home will come out in a couple of years. It would be awesome if it did! :D That would be the game between TLJ and Dreamfall. And then Chapters is the direct sequel to Dreamfall, and instantly resolves perhaps the biggest and most discussed cliffhanger of Dreamfall. Of course, only to give rise to more questions. ;) 

Official Cannon Stroker :: Cookblocked!

bereft-banner.png

#7 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:37

Hopefully TLJ Home will come out in a couple of years. It would be awesome if it did! :D That would be the game between TLJ and Dreamfall.

The way I remember it, Ragnar has said it covers the time both before and after DF/DFC, but I could be wrong*.

*It does happen. Occasionally.

#8 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1720 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:57

The way I remember it, Ragnar has said it covers the time both before and after DF/DFC, but I could be wrong*.

Might be, though then they'd have some major time skips in the game. If so, I hope they'll be able to do it in a good fashion. :)

Official Cannon Stroker :: Cookblocked!

bereft-banner.png

#9 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:44

No, you're right. Do I really have to dig out the quote? Because if I spend hours searching it only to conclude it died with the Undreaming forum... :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#10 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 13:56

No, you're right. Do I really have to dig out the quote? Because if I spend hours searching it only to conclude it died with the Undreaming forum... :)

Nope. It didn't die there. Mostly because it was said in a GameSpot interview that they used as the reveal for the KS goal. 

"The Longest Journey Home will pick up right where The Longest Journey left off, filling in the 10-year gap unaccounted for in Dreamfall. But it will also extend beyond Dreamfall Chapters and conclude April’s adventure."

• Vainamoinen likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#11 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 16:01

Right. What died with the Undreaming forum was Ragnar's quote concerning the scenario of FunCom bankruptcy. :P

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#12 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 11 August 2015 - 16:53

Ah... Once again, I'm not wrong. This could get to being a habit...

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users