47 replies to this topic

#41 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 13:25

The Book itself was also very short. I didn't feel like very much happened.

From what I have seen most people reported around 4 to 5 hrs play time. Compared to Books 1 & 2 it is short. If I remember rightly, the entire game was originally estimated for a playing time around 10 hrs. Also, they intended it to publish the complete game, instead of books. If you look at all three books together, instead of separately, we have been given a game much larger than what they had originally planned. Again total play time for many people is close to 20 hrs and we still have 2 books to go. Ragnar said those books will be around the same length as Book 3, but that still adds another 8 to 10 hrs and a total of 30 hrs for the game. About triple the original estimate. It took me 57 hrs to play Dishonored and that was a AAA game and much more expensive to buy when it first came out than DFC.

For me and others it seemed like quite a bit happened.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the picture puzzle that many found annoying.

• Vainamoinen, khh and Crowboy like this

#42 Sarah_Stark

Sarah_Stark

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:55

From what I have seen most people reported around 4 to 5 hrs play time. Compared to Books 1 & 2 it is short. If I remember rightly, the entire game was originally estimated for a playing time around 10 hrs. Also, they intended it to publish the complete game, instead of books. If you look at all three books together, instead of separately, we have been given a game much larger than what they had originally planned. Again total play time for many people is close to 20 hrs and we still have 2 books to go. Ragnar said those books will be around the same length as Book 3, but that still adds another 8 to 10 hrs and a total of 30 hrs for the game. About triple the original estimate. It took me 57 hrs to play Dishonored and that was a AAA game and much more expensive to buy when it first came out than DFC.

For me and others it seemed like quite a bit happened.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the picture puzzle that many found annoying.

I think for me it was partly that I was expecting it to be the same length as the first two, and also that Kian and Likho heading onwards was going to carry on within book three, so was a bit startled to see it ending there. sure it makes sense now I know that is where it ended, but the initial feeling was ''that's it?''.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that plot-wise nothing happened - it very much did, such as a huge info-dump (I mean that in a good way) on the tube network, rather that interactions and choices felt less than in the first two. We also barely got to explore Stark. Well, we didn't actually get to explore Propast at all.

Incidentally, I do like with each visit, Propast feels ever more oppressive, which is juxtaposed well with the feeling - at least for Zoe - that Mercuria seems almost liberated by comparison. The whole colour palette makes it feel cheery, even the celebrating of a traditional festival, even though we know in reality it's no better than Propast.

I only took 12 hours with Dishonoured and 14h with Chapters so far, so overall length isn't that much of an issue with me.

The actual rearranging of pictures wasn't an issue for me either, though the finding them (which was the part I took umbrage against) was a bit bleh when I'd combed the area and didn't get an interact option in places where I should have - most notably on the top of the stairs, despite the light being turned on. And honestly, compared to the puzzle I mentioned that wasn't in Dreamfall at all, most are heaven-sent.

• Dmm likes this

I could of course be very wrong.

#43 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:42

Everytime a book finishes, my initial feeling is "Wait that's it?"

It's not related to the length, but to the immersion effect, and my desire for the story to continue.

It's the same as watching a tv show that ends with a "To be continued" and you'd go all "What the hell?" or "you gotta be kidding" etc...

Used to happen to me a lot in the first season of Heroes and the only season of Flash Forward.

• Dmm likes this

#44 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 13:23

I only took 12 hours with Dishonoured

You got through it that fast? I went strictly stealth and I played on the easiest mode and still can't imagine doing it much faster, even in a second play through. Probably would have taken me two to three times longer if I used the most difficult setting for game play.

#45 Sarah_Stark

Sarah_Stark

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 July 2015 - 20:45

You got through it that fast? I went strictly stealth and I played on the easiest mode and still can't imagine doing it much faster, even in a second play through. Probably would have taken me two to three times longer if I used the most difficult setting for game play.

My playtime stands at that, and I completed with low chaos, as well as ''dealing'' with a certain suspicious old lady. I'm not sure how I went through it so fast, but somehow did. Probably due to using the rats to eat every corpse, and as they don't count as plague-carrying, it kept the city clean - plus dealing with her. I loved the game, but haven't felt the desire to go back to it... Yet.

And what Crowboy says about the whole ''That's it?'' feeling pretty much sums up how I felt. I get into each episode and then it ends. The third one just jarred more than the previous two because of its comparative brevity.

I don't think any of the games in this series have had truly obnoxious puzzles, certainly compared to some I've seen over the years. The one I've mentioned about walls, ceilings, obstacles, tedium, and so on stands out, even if I've blanked the game it's from (likely the Moment of Silence, as I remember that had some really irritating ones), but things like some of the moments in Broken Sword games you can die in got annoying.

I think the most headache-inducing puzzle for me in all TLJ-related games was the first and needing an eyeball in the Police station. I didn't remove it from the monkey, and so had no way to swap it for his. Eventually I found out what I'd done wrong, and fortunately the game was designed well enough that I hadn't broken the whole thing, which I have done in other games.

I could of course be very wrong.

#46 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:42

I felt bad about killing the rat.  wasn't there a more humane way to contaminate the machine? If you needed animals then i'm sure some food would of worked.  why not some jam...I originally thought to use the jam but kian just kept eating it

Kian said himself, he is an aficionado of yam and I'm sure he would never waste it in such a way!

#47 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 July 2015 - 13:56

Heh, I was confused about the jam vs yam myself.

1. Tried to feed rats yams from the table, they don't like it
  2. Thought "wasn't there some jam in the pub?
  3. Went to the pub and clicked on the jars I thought contained jam
  4. Kian ate it again, saying it was yams
  5. *sighs*
  6. Finally found the cheese next to the yams after running around town a couple more times

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#48 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 16 July 2015 - 14:53

3773086934_563976bc19.jpg

• Tina and Ringtail like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: review