• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 16:45

I missed the drawing under the folding table in the kitchen.  I also got stuck in Marcuria because I didn't notice that I could listen to the guards.  I was literally wandering around for hours with my orb and drug in hand wondering why I couldn't do anything with the food on the table or the rats.  I got obsessed with Kian's comment about owls and started trying to find an owl.  Also, at the beginning of the chapter I thought I saw Crow, so I was looking for him.  I went to get help but i I just happened to wander by the guards and noticed I could listen to them before anyone responded.

I really don't like these puzzles which involve searching for interactive objects, particularly when the environments are large and the number of objects is tiny.  The puzzle in the warehouse was much better in my opinion.  The things you could work with were easy to find and you could experiment and observe what happened.  The only thing that I wondered about is whether there's any way to make use of the Kung Fu bot.  Is there a different way to solve the puzzle? I used stealth, hauler and catcher.

• Atrus likes this

#22 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRignano Flaminio(RM)

Posted 30 June 2015 - 16:55

I turn around in every room in the interlude for finding the painting, i can't see the switch on the stairs and the one up in the kitchen, when i use Kidbot i can't disable the alarm...i hear the catcher module says play game...but my mind don't get it lol. Let's hope Kidbot is safe :) 

#23 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 17:39

My favorite puzzle/gameplay in book three was the first one in the interlude that some hate. I found it really enjoyable and satisfying. I don't care about the suppose logic on why we should even be looking for her drawings in the first place, to me that was unimportant. I enjoyed walking around exploring the HoAW with Saga. The comments she made on her drawings and other things in the house I found delightful . She puts the drawings in order on the wall, a "door" opens and Saga walks through. I honestly didn't expect that. Where is Saga now?  On the streets of Sadir or in England or somewhere else? Maybe she is growing up in Arcadia to eventually become the mother of Kian... who knows? To me this puzzle created a wonderful sense of mystery concerning Saga's fate.

• Tina and Vincy85 like this

#24 Kokiden

Kokiden

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 19:24

I'm a little disappointed there wasn't a way to more clearly shut down Mr. London and his goons to save the poor guy they're torturing. Like...I didn't even realize I was supposed to use the bot to disable the alarm at first because I was trying to figure out if there was a way I could save the guy. 

Yes...i was thinking i should save the guy too

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Formerly known as Rookie1

#25 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 19:48

It's interesting how everyone sees it so differently.

I enjoyed the interlude, but it took me some time to find all the drawings. I had no trouble with the dark area because the light switch was very visible and I noticed it immediately knowing I had to turn the light on to get the area interactive.

I found the top drawing by looking everywhere and just finding an interaction point way up high.

I got confused by the books that I could interact with (Saga saying she wants new books) making me think I should do something with them, and also the trap door at the kitchen thinking I somehow need to convince dad to go down there with me.

The last drawing I found by mere chance. Since I ran everywhere I kept missing it. I eventually started walking and when going from Saga's room to the kitchen, there was a quick moment the cursor changed and I found the missing drawing.

I needed help with getting the metal orb because I was so exhausted from the interlude (it was also middle of the night here by then) that I didn't explore every area to its fullest and missed the pipes. The rest was pretty straight forward. Shitbot was nice. At first I thought I had to play catch with him so he'll throw me the dreamer, but eventually I figured that he needs to catch one of those electro thingies to disable the alarm.

#26 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 30 June 2015 - 21:10

The interlude was a fun puzzle.

It did not seem so special, I imagine that Magnus had displaced some, but the light took me some time.

And an intriguing end to the interlude.

I liked the different possible personalities for Shitboot, and how he finally found himself after the shock.

I hope that he'll be back before the end.

Marcuria in daylight is a delight!

I have the impression that RTG has worked miracles since Book 2. So beautiful, so smooth (playing the game on a 2012 Mac Mini)

Just walking through the city is a real treat.

And the return of Crow. I liked that he was the one to create the door knob puzzle.

There are several ways to skin a bear, and several solutions on how to kill a rat.

Cool options.

(Why on earth would anyone have problems killing a rat is beyond me)

I find some of the critics unjust. It does make sense to have to explore to find the solutions. 

And as an example pipes close to the port were remarkable in Book 2 already.

It will be a tough wait until Book 4

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#27 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRignano Flaminio(RM)

Posted 30 June 2015 - 21:13

There are several ways to skin a bear, and several solutions on how to kill a rat.

Cool options.

(Why on earth would anyone have problems killing a rat is beyond me)

I can't find a solution then i thought to join cheese and evensong, i never find another solutions...what are the others?

#28 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 June 2015 - 22:32

I can't find a solution then i thought to join cheese and evensong, i never find another solutions...what are the others?

You can use the straight bit of pipe.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#29 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 22:50

I had no trouble with the dark area because the light switch was very visible and I noticed it immediately knowing I had to turn the light on to get the area interactive.

My problem with that puzzle was that I saw the drawing immediately, so it didn't occur to me that I needed light.  I only found the light switch by randomly noticing "hey, there's something I can interact with.  Oh, it's a light switch."

#30 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:18

You need to turn down your gamma settings! ;)

• Kokiden likes this

#31 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:20

Actually it was probably caused by having a short shadow distance. It's fixed in the patch.
  • Tina and Dmm like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#32 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1926 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:28

I kept looking for alternate puzzles to getting past the gate at the end, but couldn't find any.  I kind of felt bad sneaking up on the guys, was looking for less violent solution.  Otherwise I didn't really have a problem.

The only drawing I couldn't find was the one up high because, you know, she's short.

I do think they were a little easier than the last two.

• Mr Moo likes this

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#33 ElDoRado1239

ElDoRado1239

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location203km from Přístaviště

Posted 01 July 2015 - 23:58

Saga's cleaning was a bit harder - or rather time consuming, not actually hard. If it was somewhere in the middle and stopped the story for ten minutes, it could have ended up rather annoying. But since it was the very first puzzle, it was ok.

And I've found Kian's puzzles exactly the right difficulty not to stop the story in its tracks for too long yet forcing you to think at least a bit about your surroundings and possible solutions. Except for returning the engineer's tools, which I really see as a gamedesign flaw. How could I know I don't need those tools anymore and should head back and return them?

• Atrus likes this

So, wake up, Miss Castillo. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*...

#34 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 July 2015 - 20:30

How could I know I don't need those tools anymore and should head back and return them?

They spesifically said it was for opening the access hatches. When you knew you didn't have to open access hatches any more, which you did before you entered the house, you knew you could return them. They also impress upon you the importance of returning them as soon as possible.

April Ryan is my friend,

#35 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 20:38

Except that you don't know how long the guards will be away from the door.  Going back to return the tools risks the guards being back or other guards having arrived to replace them while they clean up the mess.  And I don't believe you're allowed to return the tools before you put the rat in, even if you have already opened both hatches.

• Atrus likes this

#36 TheBigBad1013

TheBigBad1013

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 02 July 2015 - 20:51

One thing I have learned from this series is that I absolutely, undeniably suck at puzzles. Like...big time, horribly suck.

Still fun though.

#37 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 21:14

I think after you catch the rat, you can return the tools.

I returned the tools before making the guards go away.

And regardless, if you listen to the guards talk, you know that a rat in the system is an all nighter...

#38 Kokiden

Kokiden

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:10

Except that you don't know how long the guards will be away from the door.  Going back to return the tools risks the guards being back or other guards having arrived to replace them while they clean up the mess.  And I don't believe you're allowed to return the tools before you put the rat in, even if you have already opened both hatches.

I knew I needed the tools to open the hatches so as soon as I got the tools I opened the hatches and then immediately returned them...before I even looked at the open hatches.  I figured now that the hatches were open I could return the tools and they'd stay open

• khh and Crowboy like this

Formerly known as Rookie1

#39 Sarah_Stark

Sarah_Stark

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:52

I always find puzzles in adventures games flitter between inspired and insipid. The ones in this Books weren't quite as annoying as some in TLJ, or some in an endless list of games over the years. The issue I think is it's hard to come up with a new puzzle if it requires anything like rules, so they often resort to 'combine items', 'use x item in inexplicable way' or 'find random item in amongst so much clutter'. I'd prefer more dialogue puzzles, such as getting the two tickets at the WATICorp museum in Dreamfall, though even they can backfire, if one of the results is the dreaded ''Dreamfall Mortal Kombat''. I did find the illustrations a chore to find, and some were in ridiculous places. The Book itself was also very short. I didn't feel like very much happened. I suspect that's in part because it's a transitory phase, leading into the revelations that are surely around the corner.

I am relieved however, that the one puzzle I was dreading when replaying Dreamfall this week wasn't actually in the game! I think it may have been in The Moment of Silence. It involved trying to manipulate a spider bot thingy around a wall and ceiling with awkward controls whilst trying to activate various things and avoid nasty stuff. I thought it was in the WATICorp section, as I remembered there were spider bots there. I am so relieved this nightmare puzzle was not part of it.

I could of course be very wrong.

#40 Bluejay

Bluejay

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 04 July 2015 - 13:18

I had to catch the rats twice because I dropped the first one in the wrong hatch.

The only puzzle that was grating were the drawings because Magnus's complaint didn't make any sense to me when I had to "dig" around for them.

• Tina likes this

Faith Manages - Delenn / Babylon 5

"Throw it and you're bedroom shoes!" - Honor Harrington to Nimitz

Dester'edre shena Tale'sedrin

Home
Asheron's Call | LOTRO | SWTOR | Guild Wars 2 | Star Citizen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users