47 replies to this topic

#1 Kokiden

Kokiden

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:31

So what did everyone think of the puzzles for book3.  Which one did you need to look up help for?

I needed to find the answer to the first puzzle.  I couldn't find Saga's pictures without help.  It was too hard for me.  But it wasn't really a great puzzle in review.  All the pictures should of been Saga height.  That would of made more sense.  

The other one was getting the metal ball out of the pipe.  In retrospect it was pretty easy and I would have figured it out had I explored.  But I forgot about that whole area and then got impatient.  So I never found the extra pipes.  So it was a fine puzzle.  It was me that was bad

Formerly known as Rookie1

#2 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:08

The Saga drawings were okay, because I knew what I was looking for. Still very difficult, and I was frustrated at times.

The first puzzle I needed to look for help for, was the "incapacitate engineer". Because I really didn't have a clue how to do it, and the goats were hidden by grass when I was walking around. Really thought I had looked at every hotspot in the entire scene before I asked for help. Once I knew I was looking for goats, then it was okay.

The "get ball out of pipe" was easy for me, since I'd already explored everything (trying to figure out the "incapacitate" thing), and already picked up the pipes.

The last place I got stuck, was trying to get past the guard at the very end of the Book. I misunderstood why he saw me at the end and gave up to go to bed. Got some hints the next morning ("keep trying"), and finished quickly after that.

All in all, the puzzles weren't really that hard for me - at least when I knew what I was looking for :)

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#3 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:28

I couldn't find 2 drawings on my own. I also had to look a little bit at the locations for modules for Kidbot. Oh, and the door knob location!

#4 Constanse

Constanse

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationArendal

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:54

I promised myself not to use any walkthrough on this game, but when I was missing 1 picture and I had been through the entire house 10 times I gave up and found out it was in the cart in the kitchen. Had been walking around that one so many times, but never from the exact correct angle >.<

The rest of them was quite easy. I remember the Mole saying to find Evensong on the City Green (Just replayed that bit a few days ago), so guessed that was what I was looking for. 

I'm curious to what other way I could catch the rat though! Used the pipe + cheese. Anyone?

And did anyone use the ninjaMod on Shitbot? Seemed there were different ways of solving that part..

• Tina likes this

- Tina the OWCUWNCIWC  -

Can I help you? I'm at your cervix!

#5 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 15:19

I'm curious to what other way I could catch the rat though! Used the pipe + cheese. Anyone?

Evensong+Cheese, apparently :) (added bonus of Rat not being aware of being killed - Martin's gift to us, he said :P)

• khh, thelj, Constanse and 1 other like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#6 NomenLuni

NomenLuni

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 15:23

I played through book 3 without looking for help at all apart from one exception, the last of Saga's drawings (the one on the shelf in the kitchen). That had me stumped for ages.

#7 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 15:37

And did anyone use the ninjaMod on Shitbot? Seemed there were different ways of solving that part..

There's a different way? Nice. I used cheese+evensong=goodnight rat friend.

I used the ninjamod and, if i remember correctly, i dragged Shitbot to the lone guard and he attacked/grabbed him, the guard started yelling and i just got caught.

Puzzles....hmm.

The drawings aren't a puzzle in my book ( pun intended  :P ). The hot-spot hunting for a couple of them was so frustrating that, if it wasn't for the warm fuzzy feeling i got when i examined each drawing to keep me sane, i would have looked it up.

Kian's puzzles were very easy. Maybe because i had explored everything before i entered the pub. When the corresponding goals popped up, i didn't even think twice. I made a beeline for the goats, the panels and the pipe parts. Nevertheless, i enjoyed that whole part. It had an adventury feel to it.

Shitbot's puzzles required a little more thinking, especially the "catch the ball and use it on the door".

#8 Constanse

Constanse

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationArendal

Posted 27 June 2015 - 15:58

That was my conclusion (Or excuse?) as well, that looking for the drawings really wasn't a puzzle per se, so it was ok to look it up. I also started worrying that it was a bug ;P

- Tina the OWCUWNCIWC  -

Can I help you? I'm at your cervix!

#9 JACKofDiam0nDs

JACKofDiam0nDs

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 17:07

I liked Shitbot puzzles. I also liked finding drawing because of lore and rat puzzle was easy but actually good too. But for rest of the puzzles I think there was so in your face specially for the goats. You hear them as soon as you go to the green part of city and when we hear such thing in a video game we know something is going on

#10 Kokiden

Kokiden

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:12

The evensong wasn't too hard but maybe because i got lucky? I stopped nearby and a focus key alert popped up.  So I walked over to the goats.  after that it was kinda spelled out of you.  

I felt bad about killing the rat.  wasn't there a more humane way to contaminate the machine? If you needed animals then i'm sure some food would of worked.  why not some jam...I originally thought to use the jam but kian just kept eating it

Formerly known as Rookie1

#11 Barentity

Barentity

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:23

I used the ninjamod and, if i remember correctly, i dragged Shitbot to the lone guard and he attacked/grabbed him, the guard started yelling and i just got caught.

Same.

It'd be interesting if there is another solution to this section. As it stands, NinjaBot was unused.

#12 cerb998

cerb998

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 19:27

I utterly hated the picture search. The 2 in the kitchen were ridiculous and I don't like getting trolled by devs. One was literally "oops I forgot" hidden, and the other one was in an impossible place with the explanation given "idk lol". In the first place the premise for the task was nonsense. Almost all of the pictures were in inconspicuous places, which begs the question, what was Magnus's problem? Given how impressed he was when he saw just one of her drawings, I'd say he's barely ever noticed them. It was a task devoid of narrative logic, intended only to force the plot. These were the thoughts going through my head during my frustration at the impossibility of the task. Even the fantastic reward at the goal's completion was completely spoiled by frustration and the need to get help. It was all the more aggravating that this was the start of the game and it was holding me back from the rest of the story.

The second one I didn't like was the pipe. Once I found a pipe (the wrong one) it didn't occur to me that more pipes would be necessary. It doesn't help that you have to find the only two clickable ones out of a whole area of unclickable pipe boxes. As it turned out, it was the first one that was never necessary since the was another way to catch the rat. I also didn't understand why it wouldn't let me catch the rat out of turn. I had heard from the mechanic that rats break the machine so it was obvious I'd need one. It wouldn't let me catch the rat so I thought I was doing something wrong. At least if it let me catch the rat I would know that this part is done and I could focus on the machine again, instead of going back and forth all the time until after hours I found the second pipe. In TLJ you could fill your inventory with random stuff before you even knew their purpose.

These two puzzles - back to back and right at the beginning - make the worst start of all the books so far.

• Atrus, aprilryan2 and DNI like this

#13 crediar

crediar

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 23:46

First thing I always do when entering a new area is look around everywhere but when I got asked to find NINE pictures I was a bit stumped since I saw like two.

Especially the one up the stairs was annoying I could see it clear as day but you had to turn on the lights to be able to pick it up, thought it was a bug at first.

Since I played both the first and second game (like 8 years ago) I managed to almost get the picture order right only had 7 and 8 flipped.

For anyone who hasn't played them, what the hell are you playing this game before this!

Due searching every area I actually found the weed before even needing it so that part was pretty obvious to me.

The part with the pipe was quite confusing to me cause I found the straight pipe and stop searching for any more parts as I thought this is to get the ball out but he put it in the most dumb way possible.

Checked online and there is a second pipe you had to use.

I tried to look for different ways instead of using a rat, the food could have messed up the machine too I guess?

But no way around using a rat, again weed+cheese sounded like an obvious way to catch a rat.

#14 DNI

DNI

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:15

I agree. These puzzles when searching for several hidden objects shouldn't exist. And Saga should know where most of her pictures are hidden, so it is not logical for me to put in any effort in searcing for them cause i/Saga "should know" where they are (most of them). I am happy that there was another way to catch a rat, but kung-fu module for a bot, was it neccessary? If i get an object in this kind of game it immediately gives me a hint that i will find this object useful somewhere so i can logically think how could i use it so if there wasn't any meaning in putting that object in the game, what is the point? I still hope there is also an alternate way to use a dish that Kian liked (forgot the name), it was near cheese and rats didn't eat it, but i didn't have any moment to use it.

#15 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:19

For the Bot puzzle (Shitbot in my case) I used the Ninja mod to make him invisible and move one of the boxes far away. The guard went there to check the incredible floating box so I could pass by with no problem. I didn't use the Kung Fu mod at all.

#16 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:14

Having a red herring in there is not a bad puzzle, in my view. In real life we are surrounded by infinite red herrings, infinite ways we could try to do something that wouldn't work. It's impossible to put all that into a game so the designer must find artificial ways to hide the solution so as to make the player solve it themselves.

We're given 3 possible modes for the bot, then one more after a bit. Trying them all is the way we solve it. Trying the kung fu mode and failing is part of the learning experience, part of the game. I mean, all that happens is the guy turns around and says "Hey you!" and then you fade to white and try again. It's not like you die and have to start the game again.

This failure, plus other fails when you're walking around, reinforces the idea that being noticed is the main obstacle, so it naturally leads you to opt for invisible mode instead. It's very logical, in my view. And when you move the box, the guard moves towards it and never moves back to his original position, it becomes very clear that this will allow you to move across without having to knock him out with kung fu.

So the red herring not only invites the player to solve something by providing options that may or may not work, it also teaches the player about the nature of the solution. IMHO YMMV etc. ;)

• Edreamer Jamil, Mr Moo and Evi like this

#17 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:28

I was OK with the red kung fu herring – it effectively communicated "violence won't help you here".

An alternative puzzle solution clobbering some of London's henchman would, of course, have been appreciated. :P

• Sarah_Stark likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#18 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:34

I would love it if Zoe ended up beating London by reciting him some weird anecdote about a ball that is so electrified nothing can ever catch it coming up against a legendary catcher than can catch anything. In Klingon.

• Indrid Cold and Bruno like this

#19 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 13:42

I'm a little disappointed there wasn't a way to more clearly shut down Mr. London and his goons to save the poor guy they're torturing. Like...I didn't even realize I was supposed to use the bot to disable the alarm at first because I was trying to figure out if there was a way I could save the guy. 

• Vainamoinen, Mr Moo and Sarah_Stark like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#20 Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBruges, Belgium

Posted 30 June 2015 - 16:32

I didn't think the puzzles were that hard and I found the Interlude's drawings pretty quickly. I don't really need them to be more difficult, though, but I think they're fine the way they are. I did think there was a missed opportunity with Zoë and Hanna in the vents for a puzzle with the gates. It'd be a pretty basic logic puzzle, but at least it'd be an actual puzzle instead of another element prolonging the experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users