#41 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 30 June 2015 - 00:13

I actually hate the drawing search... this was an error. I'm pretty sure of it. (Maybe that alone merit minus 3%)

the second one in marcuria was a tad too hard if you don't look everywhere, at least, I found what I wanted not too long after it, but nonetheless...

but I don't see how these difficult puzzle are not as difficult as the one in the original TLJ, Beside the drawing, the rest was in line with the first of the series.

Puzzles in a point and click game would work differently than in a fully 3d world like this I am also getting a deja vu back to what people disliked with Dreamfall The Longest Journey when it came out, which was the actual gameplay.

I am also a little worried that this game will end on a cliffhanger and we will have to wait until after RedThread gets done with draguen to make the longest journey home ...... if that ever happens.

#42 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:30

Puzzles in a point and click game would work differently than in a fully 3d world like this I am also getting a deja vu back to what people disliked with Dreamfall The Longest Journey when it came out, which was the actual gameplay.

I am also a little worried that this game will end on a cliffhanger and we will have to wait until after RedThread gets done with draguen to make the longest journey home ...... if that ever happens.

It is funny about puzzles, I noticed that the ones I enjoyed the most in each of these games so many others have disliked, even intensely. The puzzles/gameplay I am talking about are: The Rubber Ducky in TLJ, all the stealth in DF and now finding all the pictures in the interlude in Book 3 and putting them in order which led to the surprise ending of the interlude. I loved them all, where other people either are annoyed by them or even downright detested them.

I feel we will have a satisfying conclusion to Dreamfall, but I don't expect answers to all questions about the various individuals in the game. The one thing that really should be addressed in this game is how exactly did Zoe save April?

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#43 DNI

DNI

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:54

I didn't like that time skip, especially in Zoe's part. Is that really all what heappened in that time - her new haircut?
Also, as was mentioned - paintinings search was painful. Why should i search for them blindly when Saga herself should know where most of them are, and two of them were really hard to find, so spending an hour wandering around the house is nopt something that i enjoyed. Second Puzzle also wasn't that much better. Though later puzzles were a little bit something going in the right direction (with Shitbot and etc.), so i have hope.
The biggest Disappointment overall about Chapters is that i hoped for sort of a little open world with many hints and story details spread around the cities, that could even provide some different approach to puzzles and etc if realised. Maybe it is just too much to hope, but i think they were promising something like that when they announced the game. And in the third book not that many things change around the streets of Marcuria for example, only a few signs of a festival around, sure the festival was smaller this time but still, the city was empty in the second book, it feels the same now. The chapter is called book, but it doesn't feel like one, with a lot of narrative from main character's side gone
Also that bug when some choices from second book weren't carried to the third, i know that these things can happen, but this sort of thing really throws away the enjoyment of the game. And it still isn't fixed in the gog version, is it?
Performance is still bad, but developers should mention if that is going to change at some time, or is the performance of the game will remain clunky as it is now. I was getting bad lags during dialogues of our main villains.

It still was an ok chapter, with some interesting turning points, i mean we got Crow, coming back to Marcuria, these things were exciting. I like how choices that i make, even smaller ones, are still really important in shaping a story. And i am glad that GOG users got the book at the same day not long after it was released on Steam.

#44 Pekka

Pekka

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:49

I also noticed the loss performance in many areas, especially in Marcuria. It wasn't that bad in the previous book, though the environments were the same. I wonder what's causing it?

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur."

- Axel Oxenstierna (1583 - 1654)

#45 Sophia

Sophia

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 16:12

Call me uncritical but.......... I loved everything about Book 3. Everything. Even the pixel hunt :D

I think the story is moving along really great and lots of things are coming together now. Some big surprises too... The ONLY thing I would have hoped to see by now was

Spoiler

I'm going through book 3 for the second time now with my alternative game saves, as expected the differences are noticeable and worth the replay.

Lastly I really enjoyed the humor............ Kian and........ GOATS! Need I say more?

Oh only read this after you finished the game please, this is definitely a spoiler. There was something that I only found out in the conclusion of book 3:

Spoiler

• Edreamer Jamil, gailreg and Michi like this

Latest blog post: s.png?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.

#46 Dreamincolours

Dreamincolours

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 21:08

I actually had a great time playing Book 3. I thought the puzzles mentioned before were fun and a great excuse to explore everything there is to see in the areas they're in.

Sure there is quite a bit of dialogue and a quick run through is you just follow the directions, but I thought there was plenty of things to see and explore during daytime in marcuria. And besides that, the dialogue let's you change the story, so... Nothing wrong with that in my opinion :)

• Edreamer Jamil, gailreg and Sophia like this

#47 Michi

Michi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:47

Me Likes and Dislikes about this book ^^

Spoiler

#48 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 05 July 2015 - 00:12

Finally! I finished the episode too. Overall, it is quite satisfying but I'm more worried than ever.

Dreamfall Chapters looks more and more like a bad episode of Game of Thrones: there should be promises of important things at stake or threats for the characters but I can't help only seeing an increase of "meanwhile scenes" and unresolved arcs/questions. The plot is becoming more nebulous than intriguing. The numerous dialogues don't help. Exposition elements and ellipses were displayed in a more subtle way in TLJ and Dreamfall. There were oral tales, books, background elements and dialogues from background NPCs.

I miss the feeling of wonder, discovery and travel I experienced watching the teaser of Dreamfall Chapters (then, I had never played a TLJ game), shifting in Arcadia for the first time in TLJ or wandering in Dreamtime in Book One. Zoe does return at Marcuria and meet again Crow but that's hardly a surprise (and nobody doubted that it would happen). As for the revelations in

Spoiler
, they were... interesting at best but not jaw-dropping.

I think that the real advantage of Book Three was the character development of some characters and the humour. I didn't think I would say that but

Spoiler
amused me more than Crow or Enu. That being said, I think many of them were underused.

Especially Na'ane. Am I the only one disappointed to see that she only makes a cameo while she could potentially be a tragical mirror image of Kian she could bond with, as she is a traitor who wants to atone for the death of April too and as she seems to be liked by the naive Enu?

What about Vamon and sister Sahya? I hope we'll get more of them. I don't have any memory of bad guys/lovers in works of fiction except for the bad guys in Return of the Mommy and the Lannister twins. What a shame: I've always found wrong love stories entertaining and delightful. I mean... cathartic. :rolleyes:

And finally, Zoë. You know, the daring black belt in an unspecified martial art who could disarm with her bare hands a minion of the Prophet and infiltrate WATI HQ's? Why is everyone dumbledoring her? I hope she will be on her own soon and take actions. Hopefully we don't have to worry: in TLJ, April did have to wait quite a long time before to get rid of her mentor figures.

I hope those flaws will be fixed for the following Books : we are getting dangerously close of the end and the journey/waking hasn't begun yet, it seems. :(

Oh, and really to nitpick, I found some dialogues between Kian and the ladies odd. Enu and Anna do look stressed when talking to Laconic Kian.  It's like they don't want him to talk. I don't know if it's because of the series of lines or the quality of the text.

#49 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:50

Book Three is the shortest and the most interesting book so far.

• Edreamer Jamil and Alcarmo like this

#50 Pekka

Pekka

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 July 2015 - 17:36

I've been reading comments regarding this book on several forums and it does seem to divide people perhaps more than any previous book has done. The most common complaints are puzzles and the lack of player interaction (ie. it's too much like watching a movie) in many parts of the game.

I really hope the devs will read and listen all this feedback. IMO, people expect more than just an okay experience from this series of games. Preferably, it should be jaw-droppingly awesome! :)

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur."

- Axel Oxenstierna (1583 - 1654)

#51 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2120 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:18

I find it funny how much divergent opinions people have for this book. RedThread sure did great for having such controversy without anyone saying it's bad.

#52 Hrtz

Hrtz

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 17:40

This will be more a short summary of what I like and dislike in the whole game so far, not only in book 3.

I do have some experience in game design... so I’ll be a bit boring :)

I like story, characters, setting... I liked it since the original TLJ and with new technology it can only look and feel better, and it does :)

I will talk more about the things I don’t like, but it doesn’t mean I don’t like the game. ;)

I’m afraid those things I like less culminated in book 3.

Basically player is not involved as much as it should be. It felt like watching a movie. We had very little choices during the dialogs and there were only few puzzles. Good thing is, comparing to book 2, that you have less time spent running around the map. During book 2 I was repeating to my self “walking isn’t gameplay” so many times... this was a little bit better in book 3.

What would I like to suggest (if you guys are reading this) is to try to use puzzle game mechanics (item interaction) more frequently. Not to prolong time of the gameplay but to make some diversity in understanding the characters and the world.

What I mean is this – you don’t need to have 15 minutes of a non-stop dialogue to understand a new npc. This will give a player feeling like he played just 5 minutes. But when you implement a quest for this character it will split the gameplay and will connect a player with this npc – if quest is sound. For example why Kian doesn’t help Bip or Enu with something? That could make him understand them better. You can even add a choice how that quest can be resolved – it could make a difference in relationship with those characters later in the game.

Or about those manhole keys in book 2... Why not add some insight into how Abby and Hanna live? Maybe they steal food from the cards and when you startle them they drop the key? It wouldn’t look so random and would indirectly give some new insight to the player about those characters.

Of course, you would not randomly bump into them while they are stealing. For example - while you are talking to Queenie you find about it. Then you need to hack eye terminal (or drone, or transmissions), find out something about those types of crimes in Propast so you can figure out when and where you should look... in other words there could be some involving gameplay behind it... you just need a few low poly items for interaction and few lines of dialogue.

Other examples are prescripted events that seem like quick jumps to another long dialogue. In my experience the most expensive part of making a game is localization and voice overs, and surprisingly in Chapters it seems it’s the other way around. There is more voice overs then actual gameplay. And I have a question mark over my head thinking why you didn’t add some (cheaper) gameplay elements, but instead you chose to skip them? (I’m not saying there should be less dialogues, they are great to have!)

This game would be great (from my point of view) if it had just a little bit more player involvement.

After playing book 3 I’m scared that dialogue choices we had will not have as wide influence for the main characters as it seemed while we played books one and two. For me some choices don’t look like the choices my character would make. This is solely because (for example) in book one we often had 4-5 different answers/questions too chose from. My perception of Kian or Zoe is now probably somewhat different compared to developers’ perception of their personalities.

Yes, I understand that in a game like this you can only have a few endings so story needs to converge towards those endings.

I’m just hoping I will be pleased with it...  :)

#53 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 July 2015 - 13:07

Not my own review but thought this was a reasonable place to link the more interesting streamers (the ones who have intelligent comments and reactions to the game) when I run across them.

These 2 women have some good discussions, especially in Books 2 and 3 as regards Kians' sexual orientation, Anna's behavior, and also with how/why they dealt with the Azadi officer Kian caught with the Dolmari girl (long discussion during Book 2 credits roll).  They have full playlists up for the 1st 3 books now

https://www.youtube....Remix/playlists

#54 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:33

I just finished Book 3 and I'm quite satisfied. Of course it's smaller than Book 2, but we all expected that; Ragnar himself said that Book 2 turned out bigger than they originally planned and that they would never make a Book of the same size again. The interlude was a bit tedious but quite enjoyable and for me this was the Book with the best plot advancement so far. I felt a bit dissapointed about the revelations regarding both the Marcurian big scheme and the Stark one. They didn't exactly blew my mind, but I probably had quite big expectations about them.

The voice acting was superb, as always. DFC features -in my own opinion- the best voice acting of any game I've ever seen. The dialogues were also really great. Great humour, well delivered, spot on. In general, the storytelling part of the game is its biggest advantage.

The gameplay elements, in my own view, were better this time around. A bit more challenging puzzles, well thought of and well paced. However, Marcuria in particular felt a bit... empty. I enjoyed tremendously walking around it in daytime, but there was hardly anything to do. While the feel was great and the designers spent a lot of resources and time creating the atmosphere and look of the city, the game could use a bit more material to go with it. It really is a shame that most you can do in daytime Marcuria is walk around it. But that was probably the only real downside of Book 3.

As for the duration of the book, to me it felt a bit longer than Book 1, but it could have felt that way because I spent a lot of time walking around, enjoying the graphics and the ambience of Marcuria.

#55 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:39

Who says there may be a 6th book (longest journey home) at the end?

#56 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:58

Hi Saturn,

This is the "(No Spoilers!)" category so people put your post between [spoiler] and [/spoiler] or delete it.

Also, I think it would be best if you made your own thread (in the proper category) if you want to ask a question, as this thread is for reviews. :)

#57 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 July 2015 - 13:46

I deleted your latest post there about Falk Saturn. Feel free to repost it in one of the threads in the spoilers forum, or start a new thread there. If you want your exact phrasing you can pm me and I'll send you the quote.
  • Tina likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#58 LoCortes

LoCortes

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSabadell, Barcelona

Posted 16 July 2015 - 22:24

Hello everyone!

I agree with some of you.

I have enjoyed a lot book three but was too short!!! When the message to wait for book four appeared was... Frustrating? WTF? Was that all??? :-o

The most dificult puzzle was the first one... To find the drawings was not very exciting. It was a good excuse to visit all the house but then... Frustrating to not be able to visit dad's room, the basement, the room under the stairs... Only half or three quarters of the house finally seen...

Marcuria awesome during day! Zoe very beautiful with the medieval outfit! Gorgeous!

Waiting for more and more difficult! I want a rubber duck challenge!

#59 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 16 July 2015 - 22:44

Who says there may be a 6th book (longest journey home) at the end?

If only....Sounds like an idea though eh Mr Archduke ? Just one little extra book, it could be wafer-thin ! ;)

#60 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:38

Overall I was quite pleased.  i thought it was probably the strongest episode in many ways.  Maybe it was that for once, it felt like a real episode.  There was a clear story to this one that began and ended.  Books 1 and 2 were much more open-ended.  It's also that middle chapter which is always so difficult to pull off. 

Plus, the way it ended in my play-through was just about perfect. 

Spoiler

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book Three: Realms, Book 3, review, users, feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users