• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:31

Yeah, the book wasn't short. It was just shorter than books 1 and 2 (both of which were freakishly long (in a good way)).

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#22 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:33

Yeah, the book wasn't short. It was just shorter than books 1 and 2 (both of which were freakishly long (in a good way)).

As it was always supposed to be. Book Four was supposed to be biggest one but it seems that it changed and Book Two will remain as the biggest episode.

But seriously, in term of plot, Book Three is the biggest episode so far just after Book One. Book Two is the smallest.

#23 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:40

Book one definitely felt shorter to me than 3, and that seems to be reflected in the average play times, at least as I recall noting (on phone travelling atm so difficult to check this)

#24 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 June 2015 - 15:00

Book one definitely felt shorter to me than 3, and that seems to be reflected in the average play times, at least as I recall noting (on phone travelling atm so difficult to check this)

It depends on job-choice. One of them is much shorter than another.

#25 Pekka

Pekka

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 June 2015 - 16:06

I was a bit disappointed by this Book. Not because it was shorter than the previous one, but because it felt like there was too little to do for the most part. Only near the end did things start happening and I felt like I could actually play the game and make choices. The end was great and left me wanting to play more.

However, the beginning of this Book was perhaps the weakest of them all. I didn't like the puzzle and to be honest, it felt like it was designed to needlessly prolong the prologue.

If I had been smart, I'd have waited until all the Books are out before playing the game. I'm sure this particular Book wouldn't have been at all disappointing if I had played it together with all the others.

Alas, I'm not smart!

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur."

- Axel Oxenstierna (1583 - 1654)

#26 te36

te36

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 27 June 2015 - 18:24

Negatives

• Saga's voice acting. Admittedly kid acting is really difficult.
  • I know this is a snobby American thing to day, but I can tell that some background voice actors are not using their native language.  I can tell.
  • Few call backs to TLJ and Dreamfall.

I thought Sagas intermission and especially the voice acting was great. Very cute with a slight bit of obnoxious and the faint scandinavian accent made it so more "ethereal" (which is kinda where i imagine the house to be).

Talk about use of "native" language in america:

https://www.youtube....h?v=fOWCnMwBJL0

I think if Saga would have had  a british accent, i would have puked. Nothing against british accent, but by now its really as Bill implies such a cheap shot.

How could you had more of a call back to TLJs than putting together April Ryans story from pictures. Now i just wonder if Saga dreamed up reality or if she heard the story from a book or her father...

Alas, the rest of book 3 was a lot less inspiring wrt. to storyline arc and mythology. It was very nice gameplay though.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#27 CmputrBlu

CmputrBlu

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:51

I enjoyed Book 3 with my only real disappointment being I wanted more of Zoe (& company) in Marcuria. Plus I've been waiting for her to really wake up and remember what happen to her (all of it) since the beginning. Hopefully both will take place in the next book

"A dream within a dream - I'm impressed."

#28 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 28 June 2015 - 14:28

I thought this was the best Book so far. I liked the puzzles in particular as they stumped me for just long enough to make me try different things but not so long that I had to run crying to a walkthrough.

I found that the best way to realise what you have to do in any given situation is thoroughly explore the whole area beforehand. Then when you think "I need something of this nature to solve it" you will remember that there was the thing in that place you saw. Then it's just a matter of doing the logical thing in a place that the game will allow you to do it.

As far as that is concerned, I really appreciated the no-fuss way the fail state was implemented. No convoluted explanations or weirdness, you just fade to white and go back to try again. That strikes, for me, the right balance between being immersed in the game and sitting here playing it.

• Edreamer Jamil and pazzer like this

#29 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 28 June 2015 - 16:33

I thought this was the best Book so far. I liked the puzzles in particular as they stumped me for just long enough to make me try different things but not so long that I had to run crying to a walkthrough.

I found that the best way to realise what you have to do in any given situation is thoroughly explore the whole area beforehand. Then when you think "I need something of this nature to solve it" you will remember that there was the thing in that place you saw. Then it's just a matter of doing the logical thing in a place that the game will allow you to do it.

As far as that is concerned, I really appreciated the no-fuss way the fail state was implemented. No convoluted explanations or weirdness, you just fade to white and go back to try again. That strikes, for me, the right balance between being immersed in the game and sitting here playing it.

That's pretty much exactly what I felt. All the information and things you need to understand and solve the puzzles are there, just take your time exploring and listening

#30 dziki

dziki

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 18:17

Hi RTG. I hope you don't mind some feedback from a fellow game designer. (And also don't mind my shitty English since I'm not a native speaker.)

Includes mild spoilers, I guess.

Spoiler

Regards,

dziki

#31 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 June 2015 - 18:57

Hey...guys? Like...As was stated on Page One, we left this up so people could leave their spoiler-free impressions of the game for people who haven't been able to play it yet. This is the No Spoiler section of the forum. 

So...can we please be respectful of that?

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk.

• khh, Idinyphe and Michi like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#32 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 28 June 2015 - 19:05

Maybe you could put the spoiled bits in spoiler tags? I wouldn't have wanted to know that about that character before playing, so it would be good to hide it I think.

#33 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 20:23

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream."  This is where this game really begins and based on this, this game is massive.

I don't make reviews and especially of just a part of the game, it needs to be taken in the context of the whole and since the game isn't finished yet the whole context is still missing.

If I remember rightly the game has turned out to be at least twice as big than they originally planned.

Sure they don't have as many places to visit as TLJ and Dreamfall, but their budget is miniscule in comparison to those games. They have a very small staff. What they have done with so little is nothing short of fantastic. I wasn't expecting anything on this scale and had it been more modest, I would have still been satisfied.

When we gave them money to make this game it was with faith, we trusted them to deliver and they have. But there is no way they can satisfy everybody's expectations and of course it is naturally going to lead to disappointment for some. I am lucky, I have not been disappointed in the least.

I played TLJ first, next DF and now DFC and to me each game has there own merits, but I also feel the games succeeding TLJ have more depth, simply because Ragnar story telling abilities have matured over the years.

I don't nitpick over the things I may not like, because what is the point? Those are personal taste in what I like or don't  like. What one person loves another may hate and vice versa.   Either you like it overall or you don't.

I give it two thumbs up and I would give it more but I don't have anymore thumbs. :sohappy: :wonk: :crow: :sotb:

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Indrid Cold and 2 others like this

#34 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 29 June 2015 - 14:29

I liked this particular book when it came to characters and story but the gameplay side of things however no story spoilers but spending the majority of the book listening to nothing but dialouge gets boring after awhile.

I also have started to see a pattern with the gameplay in the books so far run around, find item and listen to dialouge that's about it, I am actually wondering if this story would have been better as an actual book instead of game.

I like the story but have gotten kind of bored with the gameplay side of things it feels dull to play almost tedious at times.

#35 Tridnod

Tridnod

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 15:52

What really touched me in this story is the episode with Saga. It could become a game of it own in the TLJ universe. Cant wait to see how it turns out and what roll she will play.

Puzzles, did not like them at all! Especially the marcurian ones. To much randomness running on a big space even if some parts of marcuria were shut down.

Other stuff, really hope Hanna is just temporarily side kick. I dont find her as an intersting character at all. So far in all eopsiodes, there are too much indivudals who could potentially play a role but will for sure be abandoned on the way threw the last two books. I am interested in Zoe and kian and their "inner" journey (however to be honest, Kian is just plain boring compared with April and zoe).

#36 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 16:51

I have mixed feelings about chapter 3.  On the one hand, it developed the story in good and interesting ways.  The main plot has emerged and the connections between Stark and Arcadia are starting to become clear.  But I found the gameplay not terribly satisfying.  The camera/movement controls are awkward, and the quests in the interlude and Chapter 6 were mostly about identifying the interactive objects, not figuring out how to use them.  I liked the puzzle in Chapter 7, but felt the balance of story/exploration was off.  There really wasn't much of anything for the player to do except follow instructions until Zoe gets to the warehouse. And there wasn't anything to really do in Chapter 8 either.

#37 octopusinmybutt

octopusinmybutt

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 20:48

I'll start with the pros:

• The story - it was another great addition to the series, and I felt that the game was great as a sort of... transition into the late-stage game. 
  • The new character designs - Zoe looks *amazing* in both her outfits. I loved her new short haircut, and I thought that leaving her skin graft visible was an excellent choice. The other outfit looked fantastic as well! Kian looked boss with a beard, too.
  • The puzzles (with two major exceptions that i'll deal with later) were brilliant, too. I'll not spoil any of them, but there was one as Kian that I really liked.
  • The dialogue was exceptional, as expected, and I get a real sense of character arc from every individual character.
  • I must say that some of the standout moments in terms of that "TLJ magic", were shared by Saga and Magnus at the start. I loved exploring their home again, and i learned so much about their lives in the short time that we were with them. Brilliant, and a great example of what i love about Red Thread.

And now, unfortunately the cons. There are more than I would have liked, to be honest. 

• Missing animations. I'm not sure if it's just me, but little things like Zoe not moving when she placed an item just bugged me a lot. I'm not sure if in the first two chapters I was too into the NEW DREAMFALL frame of mind to notice, or if it's a new thing... I dunno.
  • Marcuria and Propast were brilliant when they were revealed. But... now? Three chapters in? And we're still running around the same cities? I understand that they aren't exactly small, but I was hoping for something other than a bit of sewer exploration in terms of new locales. I'm seriously concerned that this will continue into the final two chapters. Part of what I loved about TLJ and Dreamfall was exploring the incredible worlds of Stark and Arcadia - the locations in DFC are starting to feel really stale in comparison. I mean, the only real changes in the damn cities was that there were more areas that were off-limits.
  • Those... damn... look and find "puzzles". They felt like (and I hate to lay this complaint at a team that I love) artificial longevity. Some of the hiding places were obscure to the extreme in that first one. I wanted to enjoy the ambiance of Saga and Magnus' life, but instead i was walking slowly around looking for 9 things in places that a small child would not be able to put a painting. After the first six I was starting to get frustrated, and by the time i finished, i was about ready throw in the towel. Luckily the followup was a genius move, and a great TLJ refresher.
    I wish it had ended there. Another one? Right after that? And without even a slight context clue until I actually found what I was looking for. It was around this time that I was thinking that I still hadn't finished Episode 3 of Life Is Strange, and was thinking about how great that was going to be. It would have been cool if they had been new locations, and they were being used as a reason to explore and learn about it, but I saw all of the House of All Worlds in about 10 minutes and had already explored a whole lot more of Marcuria in the last chapter. 
  • Did i mention the look and find puzzles?
  • The thing that happened to thing when they thinged (I'm trying to keep it at least a little spoiler free). Felt rushed, and nowhere near the massive deal it needed to be. If that had been the only issue i wouldn't have minded.

I know i'm probably being petty, and harsh - but it's not without reason. Red Thread are an exceptional team and they can do better. The first two episodes were wonderful. The storyline in this one was wonderful. I just felt that the puzzles were occasionally cheap, and the settings are wearing a little thin. I love these games, and have been looking forward to DFC ever since I bought my first graphics card with my first wage packet from my first job all those years ago, and slayed Dreamfall in a week. It's not like it's a bad episode, I just had higher hopes for the game at this point, and am starting to worry that DFC peaked too early.

Oh, Balance - please let that not be true!

#38 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 29 June 2015 - 22:56

I really think the first puzzles are a bit crap. Puzzles where you have to look around for stuff you don't really know what it looks like in a 3D environment are *always* a bad idea. And then puzzles where you have absolutely no idea what you're even looking for, those are even a worse idea.

Also, is it me or is the game much slower now? And I don't mean the low framerate (but there's that too), I mean the characters seem to be stuck on molasses, and since you have to walk around a lot, especially right at the beggining in Marcuria, it gets boring fast. And since you don't really know where to go and what to look for, it soon goes from boring to frustrating... 

Oh yeah, then there's the unachievable achievement.

Let's just say you see a lot of "not recommended" reviews on Steam that weren't there before...

Or maybe it's all RTG's fault for setting the expectations too high with the much better first two books. 

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#39 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 23:04

As far as the speed, maybe it's just being away from the game for a while.  Zoe and Kian have always seemed to me to move at a rather leisurely pace.  Even "running" is more like a slow jog.

#40 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2120 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 23:22

I actually hate the drawing search... this was an error. I'm pretty sure of it. (Maybe that alone merit minus 3%)

the second one in marcuria was a tad too hard if you don't look everywhere, at least, I found what I wanted not too long after it, but nonetheless...

but I don't see how these difficult puzzle are not as difficult as the one in the original TLJ, Beside the drawing, the rest was in line with the first of the series.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book Three: Realms, Book 3, review, users, feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users