#1 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 June 2015 - 19:07

So, anyone wants to share their thoughts or give us a review of Book Three: Realms? Think of the poor lads like us who have to wait because of their connection, their work or the translation in progress. :P Iwe have to know.

Does the plot move forward? Does it provide answers? Did you enjoy this episode? Tell us. :) Feel free to copy and paste your reviews or to provide links (should you have already written them) but please make them available here. And don't forget the spoiler tags if needed! ;)

#2 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 19:59

Or, wouldn't it be better just to put this whole post in the Spoiler section?  Much easier to reply that way. :)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#3 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 June 2015 - 20:08

Well, I was expecting mainly spoiler-free reviews. Especially if I want to have some feedbacks before I can play Book Three myself. :P What? I have the right to be curious without being spoiled. :D

And that way, you can then post your reviews on Metacritic or gaming websites. See? It's all part of the plan! :evil:

• trentjaspar likes this

#4 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 20:10

What? I have the right to be curious without being spoiled. :D

Nope :P

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 20:11

Yeah, we seem to already have a thread or two for spoiler-filled Reviews / Gushing / Critiquing / What Have You. So I'm fine leaving this as a "no spoilers" review area.

...I get that different people have different takes on what that means, but...try to be respectful. 

For my part, I liked Book Three a lot. I'm still processing, though, so I don't have much to say that's meaningful and not spoiler-y. 

• khh and Nanoloque like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#6 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 June 2015 - 20:53

Does the plot move forward? Does it provide answers? Did you enjoy this episode? Tell us. :)

Yes story progress but but still little. Some answers. A lot of speculation as always in Dreamer cycle. I enyoyed Book Three pretty much. It was like a reading of great book.

#7 darthagal

darthagal

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 00:52

I must say I am a little disappointed with Book 3. Let me explain why, and I will avoid spoilers - just to mention at the beginning of the post :)

Firstly, from the aspect of storytelling - I think a great job has been done. They have proven that they can make a culmination, and in my opinion, lived up their reputation from TLJ and DF. This goes especially for the very beginning of Book 3, which was ABSOLUTELY MINDBLOWING! Goosebumps all over the place, and no one got burned, indeed ;)

Secondly, I think it was a little too short... Way too short. I think this is a consequence of two-three things:

1.) It was indeed not that much happening, especially compared to Book 1, and 2

2.) I felt as a passive "player", more of an observer than a player of game. I felt as if I am kinda watching a movie (I think there were thoughts like this elsewhere in the forum already). I think that some dialogues were a little too rushed through - and I can barely remember more than 3-4 places where there player could contol the conversation. And there were PLENTY of places in the game where this could have been done very well, as in the previous books and in TLJ. I simply felt left out, except when it came to those important choices, which were like, a sudden shake while I already got used to sitting back and simply whatching the story unveils.

3.) I think there could have been more things to say about both Propast and Marcuria, through player-controlled dialogues. I kinda miss that soul-filling information about the worlds when you talk to someone - and when someone is away for two months, then she really has to wonder about what and how - and all that could have been done through dialogues.

However, one must not forget that Book 3 is a part of the FULL game, which is going to turn out to be pretty long, in the style of the previous games, which I salute with gratitude :) Book 3 featured short chapters, something similar to having Chapter 6 from TLJ (on the ship to Alias) and a little bit more. So Imagine dividing TLJ into 5 parts - and some part would indeed be shorter, compared than others. So I think that the feeling of having each Book as a separate game is a little to hasty to have, when you look at it from this perspective, and therefore statements like "it was too short" or "too long" should be taken with care. The big picture matters. This being said, the long cutscenes might be compared to the scene of Flipper and April from TLJ, for example, when he was telling her about what is going on with Vanguard and all that. However, even this taken as such, it is still not a good comparison, because April didn't really talk much during that scene (and the scenes alike), unlike Kian and Zoe in Book 3. There where really quite a few places in the game where I was like "wait, why don't you let me pick what to say and in which order?!" But back to the point - if one takes all three books up to now as a full game (or will-be full game in several months), then I might swallow this not-so-tasty bite of disappointment. ;)

Oh, regarding puzzles - I have a general disliking opinion regarding the puzzles in DF and DFC, compared to TLJ, but if I try to leave that biased opinion, then puzzles so far were very creative (apart from the animal abusing one) and I like that fact that there were several ways of solving a problem - so we had a choice even in solving puzzles, which is something new (although that doesn't compensate the lack of choices in dialogues).

It also feels somehow as if RTG was on a time pressure... Some things I felt were done a little too hasty - no animations for taking/leaving an object to the interactable spot (it just appears mysteriously and that kinda spoils the feeling :/ ), objects that are missing from the time befire the cutsceene in the same location... I guess one has to take into account that they are only, what, 8 people???? woriking on this amazing game, and that IS something.

All in all, if I take Book 3 as a part of the whole game, then I can make myself be happy about it. But compared to Book 1 and 2, Book 3 feels like a step backwards, from the aspect of gameplay. From the aspect of storytelling - A+, no arguing with that. But a good storytelling in a game is always better to involve the player. They indeed set the standards and expectations with Books 1 and 2.

#8 catnip

catnip

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:45

Not sure where to leave this, but:

Unskippable credits.

Really?

#9 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:51

Were they unskippable for you? I definitely skipped them. I mean....This time around. I've watched them a few times already looking for names I recognize. 

#10 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:53

Pretty sure you press escape to skip the credits, or press space to make them run faster. I haven't confirmed the first recently.

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#11 catnip

catnip

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:59

After you've said that, I reloaded and it actually worked this time. Crazy things o.O

Phew! Thanks.
  • Edreamer Jamil and agirlnamedbob like this

#12 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:04

I personally thought it was the most enjoyable chapter I have played yet

1) I really liked the first part. Some disagree I know. I have discussed my reasoning elsewhere and won't repeat here to avoid spoilers but it was imho a wonderful combo of feels + fun stuff + puzzle + discovery

2) Yams. And Rats. And Owls.

3) I thought the pacing in the middle chapter was excellent. I had been concerned also that from the trailer one particular aspect of the game wouldn't get much gametime in this book. I was happily wrong about this

4) Marcuria in the day time = soooo priddy ! And again some great feels in that part of the book, especially a familiarly panned cutscene

5) There were some nice discoveries and plot movements overall

6) New character twists and some nice little moments of action

7) Reading the choice recap at the end :)

• Jecica, agirlnamedbob, Riaise and 3 others like this

#13 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2113 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:08

I was literally stressed out while playing it... Some decision feels again way too important to be made by you and with so little time. 

Of course, this is perfect the way it is...

• Edreamer Jamil and toremygg like this

#14 spteng

spteng

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:29

Note, just because there is less positives than negatives, doesn't mean I didn't like it. It is just easier to give constructive criticism than point out what is already expected.

Positives-

• Day time in Marcuria. It is so much better then the night.
  • LGBT characters
  • The first time a character crossed the divide
  • The quick patch
  • Graphics are top notch
  • Most of the voice acting is top notch. (see negatives for a critique)
  • Not nearly as much banging you on the head with the decisions you have made.
  • The puzzles to me seemed challenging enough, (post patch) but not too difficult. The small changes in the patch made picture hunting much better.
  • The earlier than expected release

Negatives

• No new locations, with the exception of the tunnels.  In TLJ, you were in forests, then in the ocean, pretty much in many different locatIons. Dreamfall did even better and too you to Japan, and Newport.  We are in book three and really two major locations. Admittedly in book for we are going to The Azedi home continent.  But considering the fact that this is half way done, I am a bit disappointed.
  • Saga's voice acting. Admittedly kid acting is really difficult.
  • No Emma's gallery, or rebuilding of the great library of Marcuria as promised in the kickstarter yet.
  • I know propast has an artificial sun, but it would be nice to have a change in weather and time of day like we did with Marcuria.
  • Because there was such a time jump, it would have been nice to see a cinematic seeing what changed.  Show don't tell.  
    Spoiler
  • Still no save game system organizing different playthroughs
  • I know this is a snobby American thing to day, but I can tell that some background voice actors are not using their native language.  I can tell.
  • Few call backs to TLJ and Dreamfall.

Will add more comments later. Overall, if book one was a 8 out of 10, and two was 9 out of ten, this one was a 7 out of ten.  Not bad, but certainly not the quality of the first two.  

#15 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:05

Unfortunatly the patch didn't fix my choices issues.

But I'm not dissapointed since I will replay the game once all 5 books are out.

As for the book itself, I liked it in general, and Crow is the man, those dialogues are hillarious just like in the old games.

The only negative I've got is that it turned out to be too short. Hope that at least the last book will be longer.

• Anouk likes this

blasted be the balance

#16 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:11

Show don't tell.  

Spoiler
[/*]

Forgive me for picking up on this, but your suggested examples on this particular point in my view constitute examples of telling, not showing. In other words you are suggesting the designers spell out exactly what happened through cutscenes (telling) rather than let you find out from your own observations of the altered world (showing)

Otherwise a number of very good points

(I personally disagreed with your opinion on the the Saga voice actress choice - which I thought one of the best things about the entire Book 3.)
  • khh, Riaise, Pawlo_86 and 2 others like this

#17 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 June 2015 - 13:25

I agree with Jamil about Saga's voice acting. I thought that whoever voiced her did a fantastic job.

• Edreamer Jamil and Pawlo_86 like this

#18 Bluejay

Bluejay

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 27 June 2015 - 13:48

Anna's remark to Kian made me laugh. I like Zoe's new hairstyle, would love to have that in DAI. Haven't finish the game yet. Some of my choices did not seem to have migrated but then I'm not certain, not interested in replaying Bk 2.

Faith Manages - Delenn / Babylon 5

"Throw it and you're bedroom shoes!" - Honor Harrington to Nimitz

Dester'edre shena Tale'sedrin

Home
Asheron's Call | LOTRO | SWTOR | Guild Wars 2 | Star Citizen

#19 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 June 2015 - 13:56

There was a bug with a couple of choices, but the patch they're putting out should fix that.

#20 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:18

This book is not short at all, I don't get why people say this. It took me not less than 5 hours to finish.
  • Edreamer Jamil, Pawlo_86 and Sophia like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book Three: Realms, Book 3, review, users, feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users