109 replies to this topic

#41 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:48

All your logs, VollachR, indicate that the game crashes because there is not enough system memory available. 

I just can't see a way for the game to reach the max limit of memory used by itself (~3.5GB), as the biggest scene in the game (Marcuria) will use about ~2.7GB on full graphical settings.

How much memory is your system consuming before you start up the game? Applications like Google Chrome and Firefox with a lot of tabs open take up a bunch of memory.

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#42 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:59

I wonder if its the windows 8 User Account Control ? If you haven't done so try turning it off ? A bit of a wild stab in the dark this one, but you never know.

Keep the game signed out of any online stuff (if you have).

#43 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:03

... but you never know.

Wise words, my friend. ;)

• Lee-m likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#44 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPetah Tikva, Israel

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:17

All your logs, VollachR, indicate that the game crashes because there is not enough system memory available. 

I just can't see a way for the game to reach the max limit of memory used by itself (~3.5GB), as the biggest scene in the game (Marcuria) will use about ~2.7GB on full graphical settings.

How much memory is your system consuming before you start up the game? Applications like Google Chrome and Firefox with a lot of tabs open take up a bunch of memory.

I can't understand that as well, while I can't account for how much RAM was used when I started DFC last time, I can say that right now as I type (DFC not running) I have about 3.8GB used out of 8GB of RAM (48%) according to the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager, I'm attaching a screenshot.

Now consider that the current RAM usage shown is with Google Chrome opened with 3 tabs, Total Commander File Manager, Steam running in the background and FinalWire's AIDA64 running to monitor my computer temperatures.

If I add MSI Afterburner to display temperature overlay in-game than the RAM usage before launching DFC is 4.1/8.0GB as shown in the 2nd attached picture.

Needless to say that I don't run DFC with 3 opened tabs in Google Chrome, Maximum 1 if any at all, which lower the RAM usage to 3.6GB before launch at maximum.

Either way, I have around 4GB of free RAM which should be more than enough if DFC really takes around 3.5GB, That said, you mentioned Marcuria being the biggest scene in the game, it is also where all the crashes happen, didn't have a single crash in Propast (Europolis) so far.

I wonder if its the windows 8 User Account Control ? If you haven't done so try turning it off ? A bit of a wild stab in the dark this one, but you never know.

I doubt Windows 8 UAC has anything to do with it, UAC doesn't/shouldn't effect the amount of RAM used and it was always on when I played previous books (or any other game for that matter)

Now, FYI, yesterday I started my 2nd run of Book 3, I had less crashes on Chapter 6 than in my first run but I had a single crash in the interlude which I haven't had before, Only difference is the space cleared on my C drive but that can't be the cause for the crashes anymore, I have lots of free space.

Attached Files

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler
Proud Backer of DREAMFALL CHAPTERS
Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | STEAM: VollachR | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

Pinterest: Ron Vollach | G2A Loot: Click Here

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#45 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:24

I doubt Windows 8 UAC has anything to do with it, UAC doesn't/shouldn't effect the amount of RAM used and it was always on when I played previous books (or any other game for that matter)

UAC isnt just a box that pops up, it deals with user rights for all sorts of things. There have been some odd issues with windows 8 and UAC.
I doubt its the cause of the problem my self. Was just something to rule out.

#46 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:28

UAC isnt just a box that pops up, it deals with user rights for all sorts of things. There have been some odd issues with windows 8 and UAC.
I doubt its the cause of the problem my self. Was just something to rule out.

I know what UAC is, but as I sad, it was on all along when I played Book 1 & 2, I'm not saying I didn't have any crashes in Books 1 & 2, but the ones I had were random & extremely rare, not at all like Book 3, and considering I have enough RAM it's really not probable.

Beside, I don't believe in disabling UAC as a solution to anything, it's an important security measure, if a program of any kind have problem with UAC the developers should makes sure it works correctly with it.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler
Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | STEAM: VollachR | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#47 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:52

In any case, I think the issue here is that somehow your system is using so much memory that it kills the game.

Seeing as you're on a 64-bit system with 8GB of total RAM, the issue can't be that the game itself is using more than its own limit (~3.5GB). 

Unless, of course, there's some corrupted/bad files in the installation making the game leak memory. But that doesn't seem to be the case either, as you have already verified the installation multiple times without any reports of bad files.

As a side note, Marcuria in Book Two should use more memory than the Marcuria in Book Three. B2 Marcuria has more assets than the scene used in B3 as, you know, some places are closed off due to happenings in B2 and assets for those places are not used.

However, you seem to crash in Marcuria in Book Three. How is Marcuria in Book Two for you? 

#48 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:59

In any case, I think the issue here is that somehow your system is using so much memory that it kills the game.

Seeing as you're on a 64-bit system with 8GB of total RAM, the issue can't be that the game itself is using more than its own limit (~3.5GB). 

Unless, of course, there's some corrupted/bad files in the installation making the game leak memory. But that doesn't seem to be the case either, as you have already verified the installation multiple times without any reports of bad files.

As a side note, Marcuria in Book Two should use more memory than the Marcuria in Book Three. B2 Marcuria has more assets than the scene used in B3 as, you know, some places are closed off due to happenings in B2 and assets for those places are not used.

However, you seem to crash in Marcuria in Book Three. How is Marcuria in Book Two for you? 

Been a while since I played Book 2 from start to end but as far as I can recall, barely had any crashes in Book 2 and if I had some random crashes they mostly happen in Europolis in Books 1 & 2, as I said, crashes with books 1 & 2 were extremely rare when I last played them from start to end.

I had a total of 6 crashes in 5 playthroughs of book 1 & 2 combined, just so you realize the difference, I had 35 crashes in Book 3 alone in 1.3 Playthroughs.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#49 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:05

I see. That seems a bit much. Thanks though.

We'll continue to investigate of course, but I really can't see why it would crash more in B3 at this point. Also, since the crashes happen at different times it's hard to say what's causing it.

At least it seems to be pretty much confined to that one scene, which is... "good"?  :wacko:

#50 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:18

I see. That seems a bit much. Thanks though.

We'll continue to investigate of course, but I really can't see why it would crash more in B3 at this point. Also, since the crashes happen at different times it's hard to say what's causing it.

At least it seems to be pretty much confined to that one scene, which is... "good"?  :wacko:

The worse case of the crashes in Book 3 was with Kian at the Marcuria Southgate Area when it kept crashing either when approaching the gate from the dock, approaching the guards or during the conversation with Anna, that's where most crashes happened, if it helps.

Also crashes a lot when trying to enter the Rooster & Kitten.

And I may have exaggerated a little saying I had 35 crashes in Book 3 alone, but it was damn close to that number (just bellow 30, like 28 or 29, still way too much), but I'm quite sure I'll reach that 35 number by the end of the day.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#51 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:48

Sorry for the double post, just to makes sure it isn't missed by Morten.

I've attached a Zip file with all the crash log folders from my DFC since Book 1, I think you'll find that even the very rare crashes I had in books 1 & 2 have the same or very similar out of memory error.

That makes no sense whatsoever, though I can understand it in book 1 when it was first released, before it was optimized (4 out of the 6 crashes in books 1+2 five runs I had).

Hope it helps somehow.

Attached Files

• Morten likes this

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#52 blackknighti30

blackknighti30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:30

So, I tried again today and it was only at about 75 degrees C on the CPU and it crashed. I don't get a memory dump or even an event log that can help me identify the problem. I should have a new CPU cooler tomorrow that will hopefully let me know if the temps are the cause. Seems to me anything 75+ would be a bit on the high end of the safe limits for a CPU. I know GPUs can take a lot more temp usually, but my GPU was hovering around 60. I really don't know how else to test it.

#53 blackknighti30

blackknighti30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:42

Ok, I just tried in Force OpenGL mode and now I'm pretty sure that it's not because of my CPU temps. The cpu was running around 60-65C this time and it still crashed. Considering idle temps are around 48-50C, I'm nearly 100% sure that it isn't crashing due to overheating. I'm going to try downgrading my graphics drive to see if it helps.

• khh likes this

#54 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:47

I don't understand what's changed, but something has, I get much less crashes all of the sudden, had about 5 crashes during my 2nd run, finished my 3rd run with 3 crashes only and doing my 4th run now, so far 1 crash.

Compared to nearly 30 in the first run, that's a major change, but I haven't done anything to cause the change.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#55 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:52

Well, might just be your system was on the border of its memory limit during your first playthrough because of other programs running etc. And after restarting or something your total amount of used memory went down a bit.

It's hard to say. There can be so many things affecting and making a difference in such matters.

#56 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:11

Well, might just be your system was on the border of its memory limit during your first playthrough because of other programs running etc. And after restarting or something your total amount of used memory went down a bit.

It's hard to say. There can be so many things affecting and making a difference in such matters.

The only difference I can think of is the release of the 3.0.1 patch sometime into my first run, the other playthroughs were started after the installation of the patch.

Because memory-wise, I've had the exact same programs running in the background during all playthroughs.

Thing is, the patch didn't address any crashes, did it? I remember something about choices from Book 2 and achievements that didn't activate being the main fixes.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#57 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 June 2015 - 14:02

You're right. No technical changes in the update, only changes related to dialogue and achievements triggering.

#58 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 14:08

You're right. No technical changes in the update, only changes related to dialogue and achievements triggering.

Speaking of achievement triggering, was "A Farewell to Kidbot" one of the fixed ones? cuz I still can't get it to trigger, I've done everything exactly the same as witht the parallel Shitbot one which did trigger.

Other than that, just like everyone else, can't figure out the "Eggspert" achievement.

Crashes are more rare now but still, comparing to 6 crashes in 5 playthroughs of Books 1+2 together, it's still quite a lot.

Edit: OH, never mind, the kidbot achievement just triggered when the game exited (well, crashed actually).

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#59 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 June 2015 - 14:11

Yes, the Kidbot/Shitbot achievements were the ones that got fixed in the update. Sometimes, Steam doesn't seem to give in-game notifications about achievements through the overlay, but instead reports them once you exit the game. So might wanna have a go at that.

I'm not going to give out any hints about the "Eggspert" achievement. ;)

All I can say is that I have it on my personal account, as I just did it again to verify the recent speculation of it not working.

#60 blackknighti30

blackknighti30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 14:15

Ok, so I don't know if anyone is still following my issue, but I found my solution. It's not a great one, but it works. I'm using my other computer with a AMD Phenom 9950, 8GB of RAM, and a Radeon 6950 and everything seems to be working with no crashing, even with the latest AMD drivers. Both computers are running Windows 8.1 x64 with all updates and plenty of hard disk space. Main difference is that one has an intel processor and the other an AMD. It will at least let me get through the game, though graphics do suffer a slight bit, especially in Marcuria due to low frame rate. Pretty much everywhere else, the game is silky smooth, but outside in Marcuria is particularly taxing.

• Morten and khh like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users