• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#21 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 15:56

Are you absolutely sure you're running the 64-bit version of Windows? The game seem to be loading dlls from paths that should be 64-bit.

If you open dxdiag (just type it into the start menu), does it really say 64-bit under the Operating System?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#22 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPetah Tikva, Israel

Posted 27 June 2015 - 16:01

Are you absolutely sure you're running the 64-bit version of Windows? The game seem to be loading dlls from paths that should be 64-bit.

If you open dxdiag (just type it into the start menu), does it really say 64-bit under the Operating System?

Yes, I'm sure I'm running the 64 bit OS, there's no doubt about that, I haven't installed a 32 bit OS in many years.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler
Proud Backer of DREAMFALL CHAPTERS
Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | STEAM: VollachR | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

Pinterest: Ron Vollach | G2A Loot: Click Here

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#23 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 16:11

Yes, I'm sure I'm running the 64 bit OS, there's no doubt about that, I haven't installed a 32 bit OS in many years.

I don't believe you, actually. I double checked, and in an error log from a 64-bit OS the game should be loading some DLLs from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\. Your game is loading them from C:\Windows\System32\. That means you have to have 32-bit Windows.

Here you can see an example of what the log looks like when you have a crash on a 64-bit OS.

http://redthreadgame...ilers/?hl=crash

April Ryan is my friend,

#24 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 16:23

I don't believe you, actually. I double checked, and in an error log from a 64-bit OS the game should be loading some DLLs from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\. Your game is loading them from C:\Windows\System32\. That means you have to have 32-bit Windows.

Here you can see an example of what the log looks like when you have a crash on a 64-bit OS.

http://redthreadgame...ilers/?hl=crash

You want proof, here you go, I know what system I'm running:

Attached Files

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler
Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | STEAM: VollachR | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#25 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 16:30

You want proof, here you go, I know what system I'm running:

Thanks. I'm wrong then. Sorry for doubting you.

That's so strange.

April Ryan is my friend,

#26 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 16:59

Thanks. I'm wrong then. Sorry for doubting you.

That's so strange.

That's OK, but I still can't progress in the game because it crashes.

I'm not ruling out an actual graphic card problem though, it's been a while since I've played a graphically intense game, maybe the card developed some kind of malfunction in that time, I'll try to run a benchmark on my card to see if it works correctly.

It does reach near 80C temperature while I play DFC, could be related but it won't explain out of memory errors shown in most of the crash logs.

UPDATE: Benchmark test with 3DMark didn't produce any errors or crashes so it's not a graphic card malfunction, at least that rules out a physical defect. And I tried every possible driver variation, even the Beta one with no real change. I'm at a loss, can't progress in Book 3 any more.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#27 aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2015 - 22:34

I'm crashing at the Enclave boat with the leave Marcuria mission and I've got the 7870 on Omega 12/14 driver as well.  The first crash I got through w/o error recurrence (ch7 at the rats & tool return).  Relaunched the game and for the second time clicked on the boat at the Enclave and was able to proceed like last time figuring that these crashes will most likely appear again I wanted to add the "me too" to the post.  Same specs as OP but with more RAM. 

I found it I did, a way through the marshes....Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go 'round for miles and miles.

#28 aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2015 - 23:08

No further crashes after relaunch :), exactly like the CTD in chapter 7. 

I found it I did, a way through the marshes....Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go 'round for miles and miles.

#29 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2015 - 23:28

key Specs here:

AMD Phenom II x4 965

Radeon 7970 - running beta drivers version 15.4

16gb RAM

#30 blackknighti30

blackknighti30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 28 June 2015 - 00:49

I have very similar specs to the OP with the exception being 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a HIS 7950 graphics card, but have the nearly exact same issues. The differences are that mine doesn't crash to desktop, instead it crashes the whole computer and reboots. You can imagine this is extremely frustrating. I already menioned my issue when Book 2 came out and I was able to get passed it by disabling Vsync, but I had to clear the registry settings to even get the game to load to the menu without crashing the whole computer. Once I did that, I was able to finish Book 2 without issues.

With Book 3, I am able to start the game and get to the Interlude II part, but as soon as I talk to the girl's father (and not at exactly the same time), the game crashes and reboots the computer. I have tried with the latest official AMD driver as well as the latest beta driver and both do exactly the same thing. My computer has absolutely no issues running high graphics quality games and temperatures are not an issue. This game's playability keeps getting worse with each new book.

#31 blackknighti30

blackknighti30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:19

Also, tried OpenGL and it does seem playable, but it did still crash on me.

#32 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:02

Finally, after repeated attempts I managed to get through the latest crash I ran into last night, don't know what I did to get past it, might have been pure luck, cleared a little bit of space on my system drive and re-verified game cache integrity once again, maybe one of those helped a bit, I'll try and clear more space on my system drive and see how the game behaves.

It's really strange though, the game isn't even installed on my system drive but to another partition completely, but I did have too little free space on my C drive as it turned out (8GB free out of 150GB partition), I can clear up to 50 additional Gigabytes I think, who knows, maybe the problem was as simple as that, can only hope.

I'll report back with the results later today.

And @blackknighti30, Does your computer crash and reboot only in DFC? because those kind of computer behaviors are usually widespread and not limited to one game/program and it's usually a result of a major driver/software error or a defective hardware, when your computer reboots by itself it means the system had an error it could not recover from and crashes altogether, usually an indication of hardware or driver issues as I said.

• khh likes this

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#33 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:32

VollachR, glad you got further. Maybe it's needed for the virtual memory or something?

I have very similar specs to the OP with the exception being 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a HIS 7950 graphics card, but have the nearly exact same issues. The differences are that mine doesn't crash to desktop, instead it crashes the whole computer and reboots. You can imagine this is extremely frustrating. I already menioned my issue when Book 2 came out and I was able to get passed it by disabling Vsync, but I had to clear the registry settings to even get the game to load to the menu without crashing the whole computer. Once I did that, I was able to finish Book 2 without issues.

Dreamfall Chapters doesn't have any kernel mode components, so it can't crash your computer. It could be that only DFC brings out the bug, but the bug itself has to be in system code or hardware. I had a HIS card that would overheat when playing WoW and reboot the system, probably because of their low noise fans being incorrectly configured. You could try downloading Speedfan and logging the temperatures, see if any gets suspiciously high before the computer reboots. 

April Ryan is my friend,

#34 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:04

VollachR, glad you got further. Maybe it's needed for the virtual memory or something?

Maybe, who knows, it turned out that latest crash I passed occurred just a couple of minutes before the end of book 3, so I finally finished it.

Now I'm gonna try another playthrough using a different playthrough of Book 2, hopefully this one will go much smoother.

At least no risk of running out of space on my C drive now, got nearly 60GB free space (in oppose to 8-9GB yesterday, some cleanup).

If the problems return I know where to come (crossing my fingers that it won't).

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#35 blackknighti30

blackknighti30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:10

Dreamfall Chapters doesn't have any kernel mode components, so it can't crash your computer. It could be that only DFC brings out the bug, but the bug itself has to be in system code or hardware. I had a HIS card that would overheat when playing WoW and reboot the system, probably because of their low noise fans being incorrectly configured. You could try downloading Speedfan and logging the temperatures, see if any gets suspiciously high before the computer reboots.

I have always been able to run any graphic intensive games flawlessly until DFC Book 2. Figured out the vsync problem and finished book 2. Even then, the problem didn't occur until near the end of book 2. Then with book 3 it happened within the first 2 minutes or so of the game. The fact that this happens with no other game tells me it is a DFC issue, or is at least somehow brought upon by DFC. Temperatures make no difference. I can set my fan to 100% and it still crashes before the card even has a chance to heat up. In book 2, it would crash as soon as it loaded the menu if vsync was on. Every crash was a full reboot.

#36 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:55

God, Started my 2nd run of Book 3, the game still crashes every few minutes, it crashed at the end of the Interlude, then worked the 2nd time I tried, now it crashed upon trying to enter the rooster and kitten for the first time.

Seems it doesn't really have anything to do with free space on system drive after all.

But the crash logs are different, no "Out of Memory" errors, attaching a zip with the logs from the latest 2 crashes.

Attached Files

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#37 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 June 2015 - 14:00

I notice that in all the crash logs you've attached so far, the game reports having less than 80 MB of free user addressable memory. And most of the errors (including the latest two) are access violations from trying to write to a null pointer (which most often happens if the application is unable to allocate the memory it wants). I don't get why this happens. Are you able to tell how much RAM DFC is using when these crashes occur? If you lower the graphics options, are you able to avoid the crashes?

edit: Do you have any compatibility settings enabled for the DFC executable (maybe they turned on by themselves)?

April Ryan is my friend,

#38 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 14:05

I notice that in all the crash logs you've attached so far, the game reports having less than 80 MB of free user addressable memory. And most of the errors (including the latest two) are access violations from trying to write to a null pointer (which most often happens if the application is unable to allocate the memory it wants). I don't get why this happens. Are you able to tell how much RAM DFC is using when these crashes occur? If you lower the graphics options, are you able to avoid the crashes?

As I previously stated, and you can see it if you check my previous posts in the thread, I tried lowering graphic options a few times, it didn't improve a thing, maybe even made it worse.

I however don't have any way of knowing how many memory the game uses when it crashes but considering I have 8GB of ram and a 64bit system it shouldn't run out of RAM, it looks to me more like it run out of Video Ram, which also makes no sense since those problem never happened before Book 3 and I haven't upped the graphic settings, it was always set to maximum details.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#39 blackknighti30

blackknighti30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:59

Ok, so I installed MSI Afterburner and had the OSD show me my CPU and GPU temps and usage while in game. My CPU temp went to 85*C nearly constantly. This seems a bit high to me, so I'll need to do some investigating. I'm using the stock fan that came with my I5-3750K processor. I also ran Fallout New Vegas for a few minutes and the same thing happened, where it didn't before, so something has obviously changed recently in my computer. At least I've discovered it isn't the game that's causing "my" particular issue. It is also not my graphics card. The temps for that never got above 59*C, which is actually quite low for these cards in my experience. Maybe the CPU paste has gotten a bit old and needs to be cleaned and reapplied. It's been a while since I built the computer.

• khh likes this

#40 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:48

85c, while gaming, with a stock fan? That's actually perfectly normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users