#1 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPetah Tikva, Israel

Posted 26 June 2015 - 14:40

I can't progress in book 3, it crashing constantly either when picking up the Evensong leaf or upon trying to enter the rooster and kitten again afterward.

I have the steam version and I already verified the file integrity, I don't know what to do, any suggestions?

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler
Proud Backer of DREAMFALL CHAPTERS
Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | STEAM: VollachR | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

Pinterest: Ron Vollach | G2A Loot: Click Here

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 14:53

Hmm... That's weird. 

Can you post your full specs and/or attach the crash log? Or your output log? 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 15:04

Hmm... That's weird. 

Can you post your full specs and/or attach the crash log? Or your output log? 

Specs are not the problem, never had a problem with the first two books apart for some random rare crashes, not even frame rate issues but here they are just in case (the relevant part):

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK 2GB

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z

And I've uploaded the folders created by the last 3 crashes from today as a zip file.

EDIT: OK, strangely enough, I tried again and this time it worked, after 4-5 times it crashed in a row.

Attached Files

Edited by VollachR, 26 June 2015 - 15:20.

• Morten and agirlnamedbob like this

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler
Twitter: @VollachR | Facebook: Ron Vollach | STEAM: VollachR | Instagram: @VollachR Flickr: Ron Vollach

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself."

#4 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 15:34

Huh... Weird. Well, I'm glad it's working. 

Still, probably good to have the logs here. I'm sure Morten will see this later and hopefully it's helpful to them. 

• Morten likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#5 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 15:42

Huh... Weird. Well, I'm glad it's working. 

Still, probably good to have the logs here. I'm sure Morten will see this later and hopefully it's helpful to them. 

Yeah, hopefully, especially since the game keeps crashing to desktop every few minutes for me ever since I got past the described crash.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 June 2015 - 15:50

After a quick looksie, I see that all three logs are reporting a crash caused by running out of memory, which seems pretty weird on its own looking at your specs.

However, one of the logs reports that the Vertex Buffer used by the graphics driver is suddenly lost (VB == null), which may indicate a problem in the driver itself.

I can't say how or why this have happened, but it would make sense for the application to leak memory if the Vertex Buffer is suddenly gone/lost, as this would make a lot of stuff go wrong in the rendering end of things.

May be leaking memory due to errors being thrown around by the graphics driver.

We've not had this happen before, but as mentioned, it may indicate an inconsistency or even a failure in the graphics driver itself.

I'd recommend trying to update your graphics driver. :)

Also, just to see if it makes any difference, you can try to force the application to use OpenGL instead of DirectX for rendering, by adding "-force-opengl" as a command line argument to a shortcut to the game executable.

In Steam you can add such parameters by right clicking the game in the Library, go to Properties -> General -> "Set Launch Options".

If you're not using Steam, you can add the parameter to the end of the path in a shortcut.

Would be interesting to see if this fixes it, as that may indicate a problem with the DirectX driver you have on your system.

Hope this helps shed some light. :)

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, khh and 1 other like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#7 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 16:25

After a quick looksie, I see that all three logs are reporting a crash caused by running out of memory, which seems pretty weird on its own looking at your specs.

However, one of the logs reports that the Vertex Buffer used by the graphics driver is suddenly lost (VB == null), which may indicate a problem in the driver itself.

I can't say how or why this have happened, but it would make sense for the application to leak memory if the Vertex Buffer is suddenly gone/lost, as this would make a lot of stuff go wrong in the rendering end of things.

May be leaking memory due to errors being thrown around by the graphics driver.

We've not had this happen before, but as mentioned, it may indicate an inconsistency or even a failure in the graphics driver itself.

I'd recommend trying to update your graphics driver. :)

Also, just to see if it makes any difference, you can try to force the application to use OpenGL instead of DirectX for rendering, by adding "-force-opengl" as a command line argument to a shortcut to the game executable.

In Steam you can add such parameters by right clicking the game in the Library, go to Properties -> General -> "Set Launch Options".

If you're not using Steam, you can add the parameter to the end of the path in a shortcut.

Would be interesting to see if this fixes it, as that may indicate a problem with the DirectX driver you have on your system.

Hope this helps shed some light. :)

Hi Morten,

Thanks for the answer, I am already running the latest graphic driver for my card, updated a few days ago.

So far though, the crashes didn't return once I've gone past the playable parts of chapter 6, ever since the final cutscenes of chapters 6 the game worked smootly, so far at least, I'm still only at the start of chapter 7.

But that fact alone coupled with having the newest driver and only updaing to it recently, makes me think it's not the driver itself.

I'll report back if I have any more recurring crashes.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#8 aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:15

I just CTD for the first time in the game in Book 3.  Graphics driver is updated. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350

RAM: 24GB DDR3

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB

Steam version

*edit to add game options*

awesome, medium, low, no lens flare, fov enabled, full screen @1920x1080, bloom & vsync enabled

Files below if interested. 
Attached File  output_log.txt   370.4KB   1 downloadsAttached File  error.log.txt   41.45KB   1 downloadsAttached File  crash.dmp.txt   164.72KB   1 downloads

I found it I did, a way through the marshes....Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go 'round for miles and miles.

#9 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:23

The crashes are back, I'm at chapter 8, with Zoe in Marcuria and every time I try to enter the Rooster and Kitten the game crashes to desktop, so it seems the door to the rooster and kitten is the one constant in most crashes for me.

It's getting really annoying.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#10 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:59

2 out of 4 times Kian clicks the boat near the end (to go catch a ride on a cloudship) the game just *poofs*.  Each time I am able to go back and click and continue properly, thus 2 playthrus and 2 times I restart at the closest prior point and get thru the sequence ok.  No crashes anywhere else in the game after many hours playing.

#11 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:13

2 out of 4 times Kian clicks the boat near the end (to go catch a ride on a cloudship) the game just *poofs*.  Each time I am able to go back and click and continue properly, thus 2 playthrus and 2 times I restart at the closest prior point and get thru the sequence ok.  No crashes anywhere else in the game after many hours playing.

Lucky you, as I said, lots of crashes trying to enter the rooster and kitten, also now crashed clicking on the boat with kian as well, frustrating. 

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:15

The crashes are back, I'm at chapter 8, with Zoe in Marcuria and every time I try to enter the Rooster and Kitten the game crashes to desktop, so it seems the door to the rooster and kitten is the one constant in most crashes for me.

It's getting really annoying.

Post the logs?

Also are you guys playing on Windows 32-bit?

edit: Didn't realise this was an existing thread. Hm :/

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#13 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:32

Did you try -force-opengl as Morten suggested?

I have nothing much more to suggest, really.

Post the logs with -force-opengl as well, they could be enlightening. :)

#14 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:44

Did you try -force-opengl as Morten suggested?

I have nothing much more to suggest, really.

Post the logs with -force-opengl as well, they could be enlightening. :)

I have but to be honest, I don't know if it crashes with the force opengl flag because I can barely play the game this way, the performance of the game drops sharply, it lags like hell and there are black squares flickering on the screen when walking, it's barely playable.

I'm not sure what's better though, annoying crashes or barely playable game because of lags & graphical issues, it's a bad trade either way in my opinion.

Anyway attached is a new zip file with all the logs since I started play Book 3, there are 12 of those, meaning 12 crashes in less than 24 hours.

Attached Files

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#15 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 13:18

OK, just an update, found another place that seems to crash constantly for me...

After taking the boat with kian from the rebel enclave to the marcuria port, when approaching the guards to listen on their conversation or at some time after opening the metal gate and trying to go through it.

Now, to sum up all I tried so far:

1. Graphic Driver is up to date with latest official AMD Catalyst Driver (non-BETA)
  2. Tried closing other programs that worked in the background (no change)
  3. Tried forcing OpenGL mode (game get choppy and laggy and there are black squares flickering while walking, game unplayable)
  4. Tried lowering graphic settings a number of times (that actually got the crashes to get worse, unbelievable) 
  5. Verified files integrity in steam, multiple times, not change.

My computer specs should be able to run the game on maximum details without a hitch, and it did before Book 3.

So basically, for me at least, Book 3 is a crashing mess.

Also, just to point out, didn't have a single crash at Chapter 7 which was in Europolis, all the crashes are in chapters that occur in Marcuria if it means anything.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#16 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 13:44

I see your latest driver is still pretty old, as the latest listed by AMD is Omega (14.12) from 12/9/2014.

It may be an idea to try the 15.6 Beta instead, as it may work better (no guarantee though). And it this works, I wouldn't recommend keeping it installed after playing book 3, as beta drivers are notably unstable.

http://support.amd.c...indows 8.1 - 64

That said, you used Omega (14.12) for book 2 I assume, so I see no reason why it should no longer work well in this instance.

#17 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:20

There seems to be some incompatibility between your card or driver and the unity player causing the crash. If I were you I'd try playing in borderless fullscreen instead. In your Steam library, right click on the game and select properties, in the General tab Set the launch options to "-popupwindow". That should do it, though you may also have to deselect the fullscreen option within the game.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#18 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:25

I actually updated to the 14.12 driver version just a few days before the release of Book 3, didn't have it installed when I played Book 2, it's been a long time since the previous driver update.

I was thinking maybe I'll use the driver rollback function in windows to go back to the previous driver and see if it helps because right now I just can't progress in the game.

I have a general dislike of beta drivers though, too unstable most of the time.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

#19 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:25

The AMD driver support is just awful. I always ran on the beta drivers when I had a 7870.

Other than that, you could try running it in windowed mode to see if that gets you by trouble areas. Thats something that did help me with AMD cards before. Seems to be another AMD problem with the game tho :(

#20 VollachR

VollachR

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:40

The AMD driver support is just awful. I always ran on the beta drivers when I had a 7870.

Other than that, you could try running it in windowed mode to see if that gets you by trouble areas. Thats something that did help me with AMD cards before. Seems to be another AMD problem with the game tho :(

OK, driver rollback didn't help, same crashes.

As for being another AMD problem with the game, don't know, same hardware and after the driver rollback same driver too worked perfectly with Book 1 & 2, the problem only started with Book 3.

I might try the windowed mode because I'm really running out of options, don't like the idea of Beta drivers much.

UPDATE: Nope, Windowed mode doesn't help either, still crashing.

UPDATE 2: OK, seems the driver rollback did help somewhat but it still crashes and I still can't progress, the different is it takes longer until it crashes, it now only crashes at certain points during the part I'm at and not randomly.

Ron Vollach
Dream Traveler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users