6 replies to this topic

#1 Mithras

Mithras

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:40

This may be a weirdly tiny thing that only I care about, but I have a request for a subtitling option.

I have the subtitles on while I'm running around the game world. It lets me read information about the world quickly, skipping it once I'm done reading, instead of having to stop, listen to the info, then keep moving. I also have the subtitles on during conversations with characters during which I am still in control of the camera, because these scenes aren't always emotionally engrossing enough to listen to, so I like to skip after I've read the subtitles.

I turn the subtitles off whenever the game takes control of the camera and starts editing between several different composed angles. The game becomes much more cinematic in these "cutscene" sequences, using the composition of the image, lighting, and editing to tell the story; the use of close-ups also puts more focus on the facial expressions of the characters and the emotion in the voice acting.  These sequences are engrossing, I don't want to skip any parts of them, so I don't need the subtitles there, and I find them distracting.

It would be nice to have a setting that automatically turns off subtitles for "cutscenes", but keeps them on outside of cutscenes.

...But maybe those are just my weirdly specific feelings.

Love the game!

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#2 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:36

May I ask why you need subtitles at all? ^^ I'm curious. You want to turn off subtitles during cutscenes and keep them during gameplay scenes, not the other way around?

#3 Mithras

Mithras

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 00:37

The short answer is: I use subtitles to read what is going to be said, then skip the audio before the characters finish their lines.

I like to do this for certain sections of the game, where the voice acting is not engrossing enough by itself to be worth the listen (in my opinion).

During the cutscenes, for multiple reasons (editing, shot selection, lighting, acting through facial expressions and body-language), I am happy to watch the entirety of the dialogue acted out. I don't want to skip any of it so I don't need the subtitles.

During the non-cutscenes, for similar reasons (observational wide two-shot is the only shot-size available, no facial expressions or body-language), I prefer not to listen through all of the dialogue. There's nothing to look at in these sequecnces, and the vocal performance, without acting through body-language or facial expression, isn't enough to hold my interest for the entirety of these lengthy sequences.

This isn't a complaint about the game, I'm sure some people love to listen through all these sections, and I'm glad that option exists. I love the writing and the narrative and I want to soak in every detail about this world, but listening through all of it in audio form takes a bit long for my taste, so I just prefer to skip through these sections after reading.

Would love the option to turn them off during cutscenes automatically though, as I do it manually now and it's a bad system.

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:27

I wouldn't expect this to be implemented, it seems like a very unusual complaint, and it would almost certainly mean some extra programming and tagging of the dialogue lines.

(I'm just a mod on the forums btw, not a developer)

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:43

Subtitles are really handy in the pub where the overly loud pub chatter gets in the way of the direct game related conversations you need to listen to

#6 Mithras

Mithras

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:09

I wouldn't expect this to be implemented, it seems like a very unusual complaint, and it would almost certainly mean some extra programming and tagging of the dialogue lines.

(I'm just a mod on the forums btw, not a developer)

I expect the same, just thought I'd throw it out there in case! ;D

#7 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:45

I did understand your point Mithras, for what it's worth I'd second the option to separately toggle subtitles in normal gameplay vs cutscenes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users