#1 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 23 June 2015 - 00:14

Better late than never.  :P And since I predict a peak in activity on the forums for the next days, I think it is the best time to gather your reviews or general thoughts about Book Two: Rebels into a single thread. (And in two days, maybe we could make anoter topic for Book Three.)

I know you have already shared your thoughts about it in several topics or elsewhere (Metacritic, GOG.com, Steam...) but I'm curious and would like to read the opinion of the forums users and fans of TLJ saga in one place. Have you enjoyed Rebels? hated it? What did you (dis)like?

Feel free to copy and paste your reviews or to provide links (should you have already written them) but please make them available here. :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#2 JB11sos

JB11sos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:06

As I tweeted, "Dreamfall Chapters has the best story, world(s), and writing in games right now, and it's not close." Book 2 just provided further confirmation, and the decisions it contained were absolutely brutal. Any qualms I might have are completely overwhelmed by the realization that no one is telling a more compelling, complex, and meaningful narrative in all of gaming.

Literally, the only things that truly bothered me in the first two Books were a couple of dialogue lines from Kian that felt bizarrely out of character. I don't remember them precisely, but I think one was about

Spoiler

I have no issue at all with something being violent or sexual if it fits or furthers the narrative, but those two lines seemed to come out of nowhere from Kian. For a game that I feel is SO good at (and dependent on) its writing and voice acting, those lines surprised me at their complete lack of set up in terms of Kian's tone of voice, word choice, and modes of expression.

• Nanoloque likes this

#3 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:40

Here is my mini-review of Book Two updated after replay last weekend:

+ Story

+ music

+ TLJ feeling of Marcuria

+ Marcuria

+ change of Propast
+ semi non-linear mission gameplay

+ puzzles

+ dialogs

+ choices and consequences

+ KIAN!

+ BIP!

+ Zoe

+ Enclave

+ rebels

+ political twist

+ turns

+ new characters

+ references to TLJ and Dreamfall (easter eggs)

+ many emotional scenes

+ serious themes

+ great replay value

+ game with soul

+ Propast is perfectly optimised

+ no crashes

+ new start title

+ Dreamfall world

- plot isn't going much forward,

- few bugs

- still no explanations to unsolved things from Dreamfall

- TONS of questions prior to final three episodes,

- NO Interlude!!!

Book Two: Rebels 8.5/10

Dreamfall Chapters so far (Book One + Book Two) 8.5/10

#4 Barentity

Barentity

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 13:46

My unreleased review of Book One said:

As I see it, Dreamfall Chapters is caught between two identities: on the one hand, the traditional adventure game with its linear inventory-based puzzle-solving; on the other hand, the more innovative, non-linear choice-based gameplay that Chapters introduces. I personally would like to see the game eschew the former in favour of the latter.

Book Two disappointed me because it seemed to be going too much down the moon-logic-puzzle road. It left me quite torn, because the game is simultaneously going down the other road of compelling non-linear storytelling - expressed in terms of choice-and-consequence as well as open-ish exploration, which I loved.

Some of the puzzles in Book Two were OK but many of them were, in my view, seriously flawed. Dreamfall has never been about the puzzles, it's all about the story, and I think if the team were to focus on what they're obviously good at - which is writing compelling narrative with real choices and real consequences for those choices, as well as building beautiful open game spaces - so if they'd put more resources into adding things to click on, things to explore, other people to talk to etc, I would have liked it more. But I know there are other fans who really want the puzzles to be more complex and more challenging. In my opinion, RTG's team isn't very good at making adventure game puzzles. It's hard to get them right. As I've said, it's obvious that they are talented, just not when it comes to puzzles.

Too often in Book Two I found myself running around in circles not because I wanted to but because I was stuck on a puzzle and was desperately trying to seek out the missing hotspot. I didn't feel satisfied when I completed the puzzles, I just felt relieved they were over.

#5 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 June 2015 - 15:52

Book Two is much focused on character development rather than progress of plot.

#6 conundra

conundra

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:17

My unreleased review of Book One said:

Book Two disappointed me because it seemed to be going too much down the moon-logic-puzzle road. It left me quite torn, because the game is simultaneously going down the other road of compelling non-linear storytelling - expressed in terms of choice-and-consequence as well as open-ish exploration, which I loved.

Some of the puzzles in Book Two were OK but many of them were, in my view, seriously flawed. Dreamfall has never been about the puzzles, it's all about the story, and I think if the team were to focus on what they're obviously good at - which is writing compelling narrative with real choices and real consequences for those choices, as well as building beautiful open game spaces - so if they'd put more resources into adding things to click on, things to explore, other people to talk to etc, I would have liked it more. But I know there are other fans who really want the puzzles to be more complex and more challenging. In my opinion, RTG's team isn't very good at making adventure game puzzles. It's hard to get them right. As I've said, it's obvious that they are talented, just not when it comes to puzzles.

Too often in Book Two I found myself running around in circles not because I wanted to but because I was stuck on a puzzle and was desperately trying to seek out the missing hotspot. I didn't feel satisfied when I completed the puzzles, I just felt relieved they were over.

I felt the same about the puzzles. I enjoy the story but the puzzles seem to be less completed. Perhaps they didn't have the time to think it through but as an adventure game, puzzles usually play an important part in the game. 

#7 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 25 June 2015 - 18:41

Book Two is much focused on character development rather than progress of plot.

That's the main problem for me. I am not hooked by the story as I was by the first Book: I don't feel anymore wonder or excitement. Instead, and though I do appreciate the slow pacing, I am frustrated by all the questions of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey AND Dreamfall Chapters two opening Books (yes, Rebels looks like it belongs to the introduction) the game hasn't answered. It looks like the story doesn't move forward,

Spoiler
. At this speed, I am afraid Ragnar will need the spotlight of a pre-E3 conference by Sony to make the thirteenth and final chapter The Longest Journey in Dreamfall Chapters 2. :P

And again, I don't have the feeling I have played a complete episode,
Spoiler

• Pawlo_86 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book Two: Rebels, Book 2, review, users, feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users