Photo

Is Reza working for Wati Corp or The Hand That Feeds?

Reza

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 17 June 2015 - 23:26

I like Reza, but I view him as a Wati Corp construct from Reza parts. I view his feelings for Zoe as authentic, but he has been brought back by Wati Corp for a purpose, or, multiple purposes.  The question I have is whether or not Reza will eventually become his own person. I guess we may not know until he returns from Iceland.

As a note: In many ways Reza reminds me of Duncan Idaho in Dune.

#2 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:41

Reza is very fishy. We don't know what happend to him during events from Dreamfall. We don't know if Peats's story about Reza was real. We don't know if blood in Victory Hotel was Reza's. We don't know why Zoe said "Carefull Dad. That's not him" at the end of Dreamfall. Reza actions in Book One and especially in Book Two also doesn't seem right. I decided to broke relationship with him in Book Two.

• pink75 likes this

#3 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:02

Pawlo_86 pretty much summed it all up. Reza is very likely not what he seems.

p.s. couldn't the thread name be considered a potential spoiler? it's visible on the main forum page when the thread is on top, as well is in recent topics list. maybe change it a bit?

#4 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:43

Pawlo_86 pretty much summed it all up. Reza is very likely not what he seems.

p.s. couldn't the thread name be considered a potential spoiler? it's visible on the main forum page when the thread is on top, as well is in recent topics list. maybe change it a bit?

I have thought about a title change but, at this point, there are only 2 viable alternatives - Wati and the Hand. I don't see it as a spoiler in that the outcome of Reza's trip to recover the backup data files, is yet to be known. My question is: will Reza bring the backup data files to The Hand That Feeds?

Reza is very fishy. We don't know what happend to him during events from Dreamfall. We don't know if Peats's story about Reza was real. We don't know if blood in Victory Hotel was Reza's. We don't know why Zoe said "Carefull Dad. That's not him" at the end of Dreamfall. Reza actions in Book One and especially in Book Two also doesn't seem right. I decided to broke relationship with him in Book Two.

I see Reza as a complex individual. He is not a simple jerk like Zack in TLJ. Again, the question would be: how will the "fishy" aspects to Reza resolve themselves within the story? Or, maybe there will not be any resolution and he will just remain "fishy". In any case, what Reza decides to do with the data will be very revealing.

• Pawlo_86 and pink75 like this

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:27

I really don't know about Reza. Sometimes he seems fine, and sometimes he's spending all his time writing about softdrinks and meat while the world is going to shit around him. I really can't make up my mind about him.

In essence that question has been around since Dreamfall though. I think it's probably fine.

• WorldsReunited and pink75 like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:29

Is Reza working for Wati Corp or The Hand That Feeds?

I'm still somewhat in favor of the theory that the answer is "neither".

Reza's body is the hiding place of Alvin Peats after Samantha Gilmore has effectively given him the boot from his own company – by having his body killed by the twins.

In that sense, it makes sense for Reza/Peats to work AGAINST waticorp, utilizing the Hand that Feeds... more coincidentally acting in favor of Sully, Zoë and Co. for now. That'll change. :)

• Klava likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#7 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:42

Reza's body is the hiding place of Alvin Peats after Samantha Gilmore has effectively given him the boot from his own company – by having his body killed by the twins.

In that sense, it makes sense for Reza/Peats to work AGAINST waticorp, utilizing the Hand that Feeds... more coincidentally acting in favor of Sully, Zoë and Co. for now. That'll change. :)

and since, as we all know, alvin peats is actually jacob mc'allen, it opens a whole new can of... stuff?

ooooooo ©.

:ph34r:

#8 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 18:10

I'm still somewhat in favor of the theory that the answer is "neither".

That Reza is Alvin Peats is to far fetched - I don't see any of his character traits in Reza. However, I do think that Reza's affiliation will become more evident. and, how that plays out has yet to be seen. 

#9 pink75

pink75

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 June 2015 - 18:14

I see Reza as a complex individual. He is not a simple jerk like Zack in TLJ.

Ewww, Zack. He was a jerk. <_<

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and Kari2 like this

#10 ForTheBlanceBePatient

ForTheBlanceBePatient

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:38

Could Reza be brainwash?I have a feeling that someone is controlling him, but the reason why remains unknown for now.  I  do hope however that Reza  does bring the backup data files back  to The Hand That Feeds.

#11 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:42

I actually had the notion of Reza as Peats in the ridiculous plot twists thread...but Peats (if he can be trusted) has Reza's memories.  So even if it's not his natural character, with enough motivation, a good actor could play the role.

There are a lot of possibilities with Reza

1) Peats was lying and Reza was not destroyed as he implied.  All we really know is he was at the Border House and there was blood on his shirt.  It might not even be his blood.

2) Reza was destroyed by the Dream Machine but WATI chose to reconstruct him for whatever purpose.  In this case, it might be possible for him to recover his original personality.

3. Reza was destroyed by the Dream Machine but has been replaced by an A.I. (or by Peats, I suppose).  In this case Reza is truly gone.

I'm leaning toward #2.  My feeling is that if WATI were really sure of Reza, they wouldn't need to be leaning on Dr. Roman.  His reconstructed personality may be under some kind of conditioning, but they want to make sure it's holding.  There's that bug in the apartment to think about, too.

Given the emphasis on whether Zoe ate the meal he prepared or not in Chapter 1, I'm still wondering if he might be drugging Zoe.

• Camillo likes this

#12 Z43

Z43

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:28

1) Peats was lying and Reza was not destroyed as he implied.  All we really know is he was at the Border House and there was blood on his shirt.  It might not even be his blood.
2) Reza was destroyed by the Dream Machine but WATI chose to reconstruct him for whatever purpose.  In this case, it might be possible for him to recover his original personality.
3. Reza was destroyed by the Dream Machine but has been replaced by an A.I. (or by Peats, I suppose).  In this case Reza is truly gone.

I think you're missing option #4 - that Peats, being a creature involved with the world of dreams, not physicality, was speaking of Reza's mind, not his body. It doesn't take pulp fiction with reconstructed clones or AI in human skin to get the effect; and certainly an evil AI would have done a better job of staying attached to Zoe.

All it takes is for the Dream Machine to have effectively lobotomized Reza, permanently stripping him of his dreams, which in the Dreamfall's world are closely tied to one's personality, enough to leave him a "soulless", but without close observation apparently reasonably functional human.

The effects of successful lobotomy have been described as:

British psychiatrist Maurice Partridge, who conducted a follow-up study of 300 patients, said that the treatment achieved its effects by "reducing the complexity of psychic life". Following the operation, spontaneity, responsiveness, self-awareness and self-control were reduced. Activity was replaced by inertia, and people were left emotionally blunted and restricted in their intellectual range.

The operation left people with an "infantile personality" ... Freeman described how the "personality of the patient was changed in some way in the hope of rendering him more amenable to the social pressures under which he is supposed to exist." He described one 29-year-old woman as being, following lobotomy, a "smiling, lazy and satisfactory patient with the personality of an oyster"...

#13 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 17:24

I think you're missing option #4 - that Peats, being a creature involved with the world of dreams, not physicality, was speaking of Reza's mind, not his body. It doesn't take pulp fiction with reconstructed clones or AI in human skin to get the effect; and certainly an evil AI would have done a better job of staying attached to Zoe.

All it takes is for the Dream Machine to have effectively lobotomized Reza, permanently stripping him of his dreams, which in the Dreamfall's world are closely tied to one's personality, enough to leave him a "soulless", but without close observation apparently reasonably functional human.

The effects of successful lobotomy have been described as:

No, I assumed that was what Peats was implying--by reconstruction, I meant reconstructing his personality and mind, not his body.

#14 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:35

We don't know who Fraulein is. My guess is that she is Helena Chang. Maybe Reza works for her? 

#15 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:36

I like Reza, but I view him as a Wati Corp construct from Reza parts. I view his feelings for Zoe as authentic, but he has been brought back by Wati Corp for a purpose, or, multiple purposes.  The question I have is whether or not Reza will eventually become his own person. I guess we may not know until he returns from Iceland.

Both?

Being an investigative journalist would give him information that he could pass on to his real employers ahead of time so they would know how to deal with things, and he could keep an eye on Zoe and keep her "contained.".  Maybe the reason that the Hand that Feeds was raided after Zoe gave him the data cube was because Reza reported it, though I think that he was also sent off with the backup data wasn't he? If he was working for WATI as well, he'd just have to be careful not to tip off that he was leaking things to them, and they would have to decide whether to let things go through...like if Bing is a competitor then well, it's in WATI's interests for BING to go down as the perpetrator of crimes against man and soda.

• Kari2 likes this

#16 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 00:01

I assume you mean the Tleilaxu Ghola in Children of Dune, rather than the swordmaster in Dune?

• Kari2 likes this

#17 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:47

I assume you mean the Tleilaxu Ghola in Children of Dune, rather than the swordmaster in Dune?

Yes, I was referring to the Children Of Dune.

I still believe there is some hope for Reza.

#18 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:01

Both?

Being an investigative journalist would give him information that he could pass on to his real employers ahead of time so they would know how to deal with things, and he could keep an eye on Zoe and keep her "contained.".  Maybe the reason that the Hand that Feeds was raided after Zoe gave him the data cube was because Reza reported it, though I think that he was also sent off with the backup data wasn't he? If he was working for WATI as well, he'd just have to be careful not to tip off that he was leaking things to them, and they would have to decide whether to let things go through...like if Bing is a competitor then well, it's in WATI's interests for BING to go down as the perpetrator of crimes against man and soda.

I think we can assume that WATI Corp has extracted  the data from the confiscated Hand That Feeds files. However at this point in the story, I can't see them allowing the data to be published.

#19 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:02

Yes but the point is how did they know to confiscate the files to begin with?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

#20 Z43

Z43

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 22:57

No, I assumed that was what Peats was implying--by reconstruction, I meant reconstructing his personality and mind, not his body.

Let me clarify... tracking Reza's behavior, emotional range and responses carefully in the last playthrough, the sum total seems to suggest he hasn't been reconstructed. That is, his state matches that of a relatively high-functioning lobotomy patient (which can even write books).

But cliched responses, lack of expression, inability to prioritize (all things seem equally important - world tyranny, soft drink, single food cart), behavioral inertia (no new food, no moving anywhere), infantile responses and reactions (to Zoe's arguments) are all known effects of lobotomy. I don't know if RTG did their homework, or if it was just intuitive, or if it's something else, but it specifically fits someone destroyed, not someone reconstructed.

But of course in 2 days we'll know if any of that was even real, since all of these could also fit a figment of imagination based on incomplete information. It could also be really bad writing and acting, of course - but we know the game's writing is much better than that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users