5 replies to this topic

#1 TofuForBrains

TofuForBrains

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 13:17

Hello there,

Strictly speaking, this may not be a bug since my system falls (I think only) slightly short of the requirements for the processor.  I'm wondering, though, if there is any way for me to coax the game to work on my Grown-Up System (aka one meant for work and not bought for gaming) if I'm willing to live with some reduced settings.  It was purchased just last fall--a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro

The problem: Upon starting up the game and going into the Story Recap from the main menu, I get a massive audio stutter and either no graphics or stuttered graphics.  I haven't really tried starting a new game yet because the stutter is so bad.  If the game is the first thing I open then I can get a few unstuttered seconds, making me think it's a memory issue.  These are my system specs:

4th Generation Intel Core I7-4500U Processor (1.80GHz 1600MHz 4MB ~2.4GHz)
• Windows 8.1 64 (NOTE: Upgraded to Windows 8.1 PRO; will go to 10 PRO soon)
• 13.3" QHD+ LED Glossy Multi-touch with integrated camera (3200x1800)
• Intel® HD Graphics 4400
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 256GB SSD
• Intel® Wireless-N 7260 (802.11bgn)
• Bluetooth Version 4.0

Here are some things I have tried:

-changing graphics modes to low, turning off SSAO, increasing the battery performance plan to optimum performance, running game only while plugged into wall outlet, reducing shadow depth

Any other suggestions? I played the original TLJ Back In The Day and have been awaiting the last segment of the series, like others, for many years!  I bought it through Steam.

Many, many thanks

TFB

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 17:13

It's possible that your computer is just having trouble playing the prerendered videos, and that it will be able to play through the game itself. There have been a few other computers that have had inexplicable trouble with the videos but been able to run the game itself.

Luckily only the story recap and the very intro of the game is video, so it may not be a big problem.

Try starting a new game and see how your computer handles the game itself.

The story recap and opening titles is on RTGs youtube, so you can just watch those videos there.

• Morten, pink75 and TofuForBrains like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 18:25

As khh mentioned, there have been a few incidents where people (with a wide variety of specs) have had some trouble with the prerendered in-game videos. 

The tech for playing these in the Unity engine is a bit old and badly written, but as of now, unfortunately the only way for us to do this.

However, until we're able to delve into this specific issue at some point, the game itself will probably play better than the videos themselves, as mentioned. :)

• TofuForBrains likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#4 TofuForBrains

TofuForBrains

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 19:58

khh and Morten, thank you both!  I was indeed able to start a new game.  The "video" played with stutter and just a black screen.  The opening sequence of Zoe's intro played very, very slowly and with jerky motion.  But it did play.  So maybe I'll just fiddle with the game controls.  Appreciate very much the YouTube posts and suggestions!

(and if anyone has any ideas for the best game settings to improve performance, I'd be grateful for that too!) Apologies if I missed this on the forums (fora?)...I searched for "stutter" and only got one thread.

Did I really first play TLJ 17 years ago?!?

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 20:23

Try to lower the resolution, 1920x1080 or 1280x720. The other options that are hard on the system is anti aliasing, long shadow depth and graphics mode.

edit: But I think your computer should be powerful enough to run the game. I think. (I'm not entirely sure about the CPU, but looking at performance data it seems like it should be up to the job)

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 TofuForBrains

TofuForBrains

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 20:27

You are a rock star.  Thank you!  If I get good results, I will post what I wound up with in case it can help someone else!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bug, performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users