agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:24

Hi gang, 

Time for some big honesty here. 

I'm stepping down as Community Manager. 

I know, a bunch of you are going to be all like "What?? Why? Already??" So I hope you'll hear me out a minute. 

When RTG contacted me about this, I was thrilled. I really, really wanted to do it. And they were excited. And it seemed awesome. So we agreed to do a bit of a trial run and see how everything felt.

For me, it just isn't feeling right. I'm a little overwhelmed (okay, a lot overwhelmed) and I can't adequately navigate that right now. And I'm also afraid that this is pulling me away from the community. And making this place a stressor, rather than a fun place for me. Which I do not want. And neither does RTG. 

So we talked, and agreed that maybe it just wasn't meant to be. 

I want to make two things very clear. 

1.) This was my call. It's a hard call to make. But it's mine. 
2.) There are no hard feelings between me and RTG. 

So what does this mean? Mostly nothing. Things will hopefully go back to the way they were before last week. 

I know a lot of you are probably going to be disappointed. I know some of you may question my decision. But I hope that as supportive as you were of me stepping into this role, you will be able to be equally supportive of me and RTG now.

Thank you all. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

--Erika

• wandrew, Jecica, Chocobo_sage and 21 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:31

I understand Erika. If it wasn't meant to be then it wasn't meant to be. I hope you are okay right now and know that we are all supportive of you and your descsion. And we are proud of you no matter what happens. *hugs* :)

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, Bruno and 1 other like this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#3 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

We're sorry to see you go, Erika — but we're glad you're sticking around here. This community wouldn't be the same without you! And I think our forum is one of the best game forums out there, partly due to our awesome moderators and partly because of our awesome backers & supporters. Hopefully we can keep it that way for a long, long, looong time to come.

We will be looking for a community manager to join the team (remotely) but that person won't have too much to do with the forum — I think it works really well right now, and I don't want to rock the boat. Erika & the other mods don't need much management, to be honest. We probably won't post any positions until after summer, however, so don't expect to hear anything about this for a few months yet!

• Tina, Jecica, Edreamer Jamil and 12 others like this

#4 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • LocationCardiff

It's all good Erika. Thanks for giving it a go; you're a valued and I daresay, much loved part of this community and I don't think people here will think any less of you for this. Particularly in light of the sincerity clear in your post

:) :crow: :sotb:  <- They all agree

• Jecica, agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and 4 others like this

#5 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2424 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:35

I don't think anyone would question your decision - it's yours and yours only, not ours :) and the reasons you mention make perfect sense.

When I heard that you would take over as Community Manager I was thrilled because I thought you were a perfect fit for it. But, you know, that's us looking from the outside in. We have no idea how demanding/overwhelming it is and what your own feelings are when you start doing it.

So, I think I probably speak for many if I say that we still support you and RTG. You're still our Bob and there's no reason for anyone to be angry or disappointed at this.

*hugs* :)
  • Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and 3 others like this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#6 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:43

No worries, I'm just glad you figured it out before you got burned out! As others has said, you are an important part of this forum/community so welcome back to your usual role ;) :)

• agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak, aeonfluxx75 and 1 other like this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#7 Raiden

Raiden

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:46

I think that everybody here who enjoys your presence on these forums would want to know that you're also enjoying the time you're spending here, so if volunteering as community manager was negatively affecting that then it's perfectly understandable that you'd want to step down, and no one could hold that against you. 

Dealing with people full time can be much more overwhelming than people initially imagine, so just give yourself a little breather now and go back to having fun.  :)

• Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak, GistOfSpirit and 2 others like this

#8 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:48

but.... but.... BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WEL-DING!

Anyways, it's the most honest thing you can do if you don't want to have the feeling that you are above the community. I've ran some forums and I am mentor in firefall but I don't want to think about this. I just act the same as I always do and it's just a confirmation that people trust me enough for the enthousiasm that I display in a community, to let me be what I am. I'd be angry to people if they act toxic anyway, either with or without that little digital ribbon.

#9 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:50

100% supporting the decision. The most important thing is to listen to your feelings and make hard decisions if needed. I also think it was absolutely worth trying, even if it didn't work out.

And if someone thinks less of Erika because of this, then boo on them.
  • Edreamer Jamil, MichaelH, agirlnamedbob and 4 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#10 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 June 2015 - 13:04

(...) don't want to have the feeling that you are above the community(...)

Okay, I know I have no business talking for Erika, but I'm very, very certain this is not the reason for the decision. The community manager position is more than a volunteer "higher up kinda moderator person". Not going to speculate about specific reasons other than what Erika mentioned above, but I'm very sure there were other reasons than just sort of an "uncomfortable with higher level" thing.
  • Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and 1 other like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#11 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 13:10

Thanks for the support guys. It makes this a lot easier and is helping to untangle the knot of dread I had in my stomach about making this announcement. 

I really hope RTG finds someone better suited to the position when they open it up later on. 

Okay, I know I have no business talking fr Erika, but I'm very, very certain this is not the reason for the decision. The community manager position is more than a volunteer "higher up kinda moderator person". Not going to speculate about specific reasons other than what Erika mentioned above, but I'm very sure there were other reasons than just sort of an "uncomfortable with higher level" thing.

Also, this. I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't speculate on reasons for my stepping down beyond what I outlined above. Any additional specific details are between me and RTG. Everything I said above was 100% the truth. 

But yeah. The forum isn't an issue. If it was, I'd be leaving the forum. :P But I'm clearly not, and have no intention of doing that anytime soon. 

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak and 7 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#12 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 13:38

I think that everybody here who enjoys your presence on these forums would want to know that you're also enjoying the time you're spending here, so if volunteering as community manager was negatively affecting that then it's perfectly understandable that you'd want to step down, and no one could hold that against you.

That, more or less. :)

• agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak, popcorngal and 1 other like this

#13 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 13:39

It takes guts to make that decision. And you've made the decision in our favor. We won't forget that! :cannon:

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 3 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#14 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4004 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 09 June 2015 - 15:24

No disappointment, no questions, but all the support i can muster :)

picture-2.png
  • Tina, agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar and 2 others like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 June 2015 - 15:34

*hugs*

If it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be, I think everyone can respect that. I'm sure things will be back to normal very soon.

• agirlnamedbob and TalkingOak like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#16 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 16:01

You'll always have our support, Erika!

When something you do because you like it changed to an obligation, that sucks. When your hobbie becomes your job, it stops being fun.

So I support your call. Being overwhelmed might have taken the fun out of this for you, and that's not a good thing.

We welcome you back to the theorizing side of the community again! :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#17 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts
  • LocationBremen, Germany

Posted 09 June 2015 - 16:32

But yeah. The forum isn't an issue. If it was, I'd be leaving the forum. :P But I'm clearly not, and have no intention of doing that anytime soon.

Guess we're stuck with you then. :P

I completely missed your appointment as a community manager. So…uhm…belated congratulations on becoming the community manager. Too bad it didn't work out for you, but it's definitely the right decision to step down if you don't enjoy the job.
  • agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and Saosis like this

#18 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2293 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 June 2015 - 16:36

*hugs* Erika!  I'm so glad that you stepped up and made the decision that was right for you!

• Chocobo_sage, agirlnamedbob and TalkingOak like this

#19 Abnoxious

Abnoxious

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFofation, Lolation, Monation. LOCATION!

Posted 09 June 2015 - 16:38

Full support from Abnoxious Isles! *flies Erika flag from harbour*

So sorry it didn't work out but like others previously said, your happiness is of the greatest importance and you still rock the forum world so it's not like you're leaving us to run around like headless chickens (though we'd all make super hot headless chickens, just sayin')

• Tina, Jecica, Chocobo_sage and 5 others like this

just a forum ghost

#20 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 18:03

You had me at, "For me, it just isn't feeling right."

And then the big sigh of relief later with, "But I'm clearly not [leaving the forum], and have no intention of doing that anytime soon."

*hugs*

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, MichaelH and 4 others like this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users