Photo

April in Dreamfall - what do we make of her?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: April in Dreamfall - what do we make of her? (144 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you percieve April's character in Dreamfall?

1. I love her as she is (66 votes [45.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. I'm torn - she's not very nice, but her direction is logical based on TLJ (69 votes [47.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.92%

3. I don't like her at all (9 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 September 2014 - 17:56

Not everyone who is in combat experiences PTSD (Though I don't know what the percentage is either. Not even ballpark).

I can't speak for international statistics, but in the US, statistics are very mixed. I've seen some articles saying as many as 1 in 8 returning soldiers experience PTSD. 

The actual US Department of Veterans Affairs estimate is as follows: 

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that PTSD afflicts: Almost 31 percent of Vietnam veterans. As many as 10 percent of Gulf War (Desert Storm) veterans. 11 percent of veterans of the war in Afghanistan.

Combat is also far from the only thing that can trigger PTSD. Car accidents. Assault. Sexual assault/abuse. Threats. Witnessing violence. Etc. 

But yeah, I'd agree. At this point while she's clearly been touched by war and the awfulness of it, we don't know enough about her mental state and what happened between TLJ and Dreamfall to really say it's PTSD. It's possible. But like I said, Mental Health problems tend to group together and sometimes the lines between them are less distinct than people want to believe. 

• Dmm likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#42 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 25 September 2014 - 20:27

Well I think the specific brand of psychological reaction is unimportant, only that there likely is one and this is why I would suggest her behaviour is not as exaggerated or unrealistic as others are free to argue. There are many different potential reactions to the types of insane things this character has undergone that could easily explain it.

In fact, given that video game characters generally experience pretty wild things, it's for me mostly a matter of being surprised when any of them come out of it remotely unscathed! It would depend on how realistic the writers want a character's reactions to be. We do have an established history of assuming game characters are inhumanly resilient given all the horror, killing and existential threats they face all the time, so perhaps this is also a set of assumptions Ragnar wanted to address, gently.

That poor Pac Man, I mean he gets chased by ghosts the whole time. That'd put the willies up any hockey puck with its salt :-D

• agirlnamedbob, Dmm and spyked like this

#43 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 October 2014 - 00:04

This thread keeps popping up as unread without further replies in it. Is it just me?

• WorldsReunited likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#44 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:03

This thread keeps popping up as unread without further replies in it. Is it just me?

Maybe it flags as "unread" when there are new responses to the poll?

#45 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:06

Ah, yeah, that's probably it.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#46 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:45

I pretty loved April in TLJ. She was great character. But not much in Dreamfall. She became arrogant and egocentric rebel leader. All what she cared was to fight Azadi. Zoe asked her for help because something bad happend in Stark but April refused. That rebel path lead April to "death" in Swamp City. Best part of April in Dreamfall is her talking with Kian near Friar's Keep. So intense dialog between enemies. 

I hope so that we will learn April's origins and fate in Dreamfall Chapters.

• trentjaspar likes this

#47 Lautaro

Lautaro

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 04 October 2014 - 15:58

best character from any videogame ever.

• wandrew, chiccats and merryawe like this

#48 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 October 2014 - 23:36

I'm torn.

April (looks after Crow, then shakes her head): Crow--! Oh, forget it.

I have more important things to worry about.

Ugh that line always makes me so antagonistic towards her - so cold, so cold.

Although for me her affection for Crow was always mildly tainted by a certain sense of mercenariness in TLJ. Crow's the best, how could she??

#49 virumor

virumor

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:56

April in DF is almost exactly like Lightning in Final Fantasy XIII (a game I'm playing atm). Both get caught up in a seemingly hopeless situation and cope with it by choosing the path of violence and revenge. And treat everyone around them like trash.

Difference is that Lightning takes around a day to snap out of it and April takes ten years. Probably because she dumped Crow.

• wandrew likes this

#50 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 15:40

10 years... i've changed so much in 10 years. 

The only thing i thought it was too much was her killing like it was nothing. April back in TLJ loved life, and cared for life. I didn't like her killing Azadi that easily. (specially the guard besides the scafold leading to the Azadi Tower)

And with Zoë... She should've at least point her to someone who might be able to help her. She troubled to help everyone she met back in the day, not helping at all seemed too harsh for me.

• trentjaspar likes this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#51 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 16:11

The only thing i thought it was too much was her killing like it was nothing. April back in TLJ loved life, and cared for life. I didn't like her killing Azadi that easily. (specially the guard besides the scafold leading to the Azadi Tower)

Hopefully, TLJH will explain how she developed such a deep hatred of the Azadi that killing them didn't seem to bother her at all.

#52 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 16:18

Hopefully, TLJH will explain how she developed such a deep hatred of the Azadi that killing them didn't seem to bother her at all.

Let's hope so

#53 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 20 October 2014 - 16:22

Probably it involves them slaughtering a few villages of Bandas in front of April's eyes (or something similar).

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#54 virumor

virumor

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 19:08

That, and maybe they also hung, drew and quartered her fierce Dolmari lover.

#55 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 19:24

*unlurk*

I always interpreted her hatred of the Azadi to be as much an excuse as a legitimate quest for vengeance. Yes, they killed and hurt people she cared about, brought police occupation to Marcuria, etc, etc... And this happened during a time when April was lost, confused, and had a lot of anger and possibly even self-loathing that needed channeling. The Azadi presented as an easy target for that anger. I think that's really clear in her conversation with Benrime where she discusses how she lives for vengeance. 

At the end of TLJ, she lost her identity. So she latched onto the Azadi threat to try to forge a new identity for herself as Raven/The Scorpion/April Ryan: Azadi Killer.

*relurk*

• khh, Riaise, DiskJunky and 1 other like this

#56 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 20 October 2014 - 19:35

Excellent points Erika. It shows that you're a writer.  ;)

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#57 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 19:39

Well... as I believed April to be after TLJ, I'd expected her to hate the Azadi's ways, but not their pawns! Maybe they have been well endoctrinated, but they're people, and might change...

I would've acted just like April did in DF, but that's ME, i thought she was different... then again, 10 years went by... people change.

#58 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:13

I don't think any of us are trying to minimize the horrors of occupation or anything like that. Sorry if it came off that way. That definitely wasn't my intention. 

I just more meant that I think for the sake of April's overall characterization in Dreamfall, it's important to take into consideration her mental state and where she was at in her life when the Azadi arrived. I think it's very telling about her own mental state, especially a few of the conversations that take place when people ask her about the Azadi.

#59 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:57

April almost kills her father when running from home.

And when you see your friend killed you are not asking the killer "you did it because you had indoctrination? Okey I don't hate you". You will hate the killer.

And what others said, I'm saying it again. You need to live in occupied country and see how horrible it is every day. It's easy from far away when you are safe, brainless soldiers don't burn your houses, kill people you love and you know how horrible they are, but also you know they think you are horrible. And then they tell you they did a good thing to you and you must say thanks. In that second you only want to kill them so much.

I wasn't trying to upset anyone... 

Last night I (as April) killed a man guarding a scafold. In cold blood. He didn't kill a friend, nor was a threat by himself at all. He was just doing his job. I was surprised she didn't even comment on it. It was a trivial moment in the game, but i could feel a coldness i hadn't felt in April before... That's all

#60 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:30

april is so positive and full of life in TLJ. (even after all the tids and bits about her past and the trial expositioning her past).

and then TLJ happened. shit must've gone down real hard for april to be cynical and negative. it's good that she didn't lose her wit.

which is why im far more looking forward to TLJ home if that's where we get the gap years between TLJ and dreamfall.

i want to know what RTG / ragnar can comes up with that could explain how and what mould TLJ april to becomes dreamfall april...

incl. not wanting to go back to stark immediately after TLJ event (according to Crow in dreamfall at cloudship). huh? i missed the part where and why she decided that? or was it not yet been explained?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users