Photo
- - - - -

Book 2 crashing in same place every time please help!!

Crashing Book 2

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 orlando_1000

orlando_1000

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 22:19

Hi

I have a problem with book 2 crashing in the same place every time. As soon as Kian gets himself dressed and tries to get in the boat Lihko and Enu I get a loading screen. After a few seconds the loading screen disappears and the game crashes to the desktop. How can I get round this?

I have attached the output log. I am aware that I only have 4GB of memory and a lot of the crashes are memory related and I have had problems with the game crashing in the past but when I reload the game it always lets me past the bit it crashed on. I find looking at the floor when walking helps, presumably the game doesn't load as many backgrounds and this helps? I have managed to get this far ok, especially in Europolis but now I cannot get past this point.

Please help

Thanks

Attached File  output_log.txt   55.1KB   14 downloads

#2 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3562 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 07 May 2015 - 22:29

First question, without having looked at the log since I'm on my mobile: are you running the latest build?

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 May 2015 - 23:01

Looking at the log I can see that this is definitely a memory issue, but I'm pretty sure it's caused by running on 32-bit Windows rather than by having 4 GB of RAM.

There is a workaround for this issue, in the FAQ under Out of Memory crashes on 32-bit Windows systems.

Hopefully that will help with the problem you're having.

• Morten and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 orlando_1000

orlando_1000

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 23:04

I have the latest build and have the game running on lowest quality setting, every unnecessary process closed and have tried the memory fix suggested and nothing.

Any other suggestions? 😁

Thanks for your help

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 May 2015 - 23:28

Are you sure you did the fix? There are two different ones on the site linked to, this one was the one I had in mind

1. Right-click on the Command Prompt icon in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

2. At the command prompt, enter: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

3. Restart the computer.

If that is what you did, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. That should be the solution.

April Ryan is my friend,

#6 ASI Industries

ASI Industries

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBonneybrig, Scotland, U.K

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:48

How to enable a 3GB switch on Windows Vista, 7, 8 or XP

Hover the mouse over pics and underlined text and Left Click to open in a new Tab.

--
Andrew
ASI Industries = As i in does tries! My definition.
I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have
a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

System specification:
Mainboard: Biostar A960A3+ AM2+.
Ram: Kingston 12GB DDR3 (2x 2GB + 1x 8GB).
CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T, 3300 mhz, 6 cores, 125W.
Video: XFX basic AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB, 1000mhz Core, 1200mhz Memory, 256bit Interface,
Replaced the HeatSinkfan with a HS with duel fans; overclock: 1150mhz Core, 1350mhz Memory.
Storage: 400GB EIDE hdd (boot) + 256GB SSD (data), LG BH10LS30 Bluray Rewriter.

Display: Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 22" CRT.
PSU and Case: Thermaltake Toughpower 875W modular 2013, Antec P180 mid tower.

#7 orlando_1000

orlando_1000

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:53

Yup tried the command prompt fix and it still crashes in exactly the same place :-(

Guess the only thing to do is wait for rtg to release a fix in the next update.

Thanks for your help anyway guys much appreciated!!

#8 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:15

Is the crash log the same after applying all the fixes?

Are you on steam or GOG?

Can you detail your setup? (OS, CPU, RAM, GPU etc)

#9 ASI Industries

ASI Industries

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 00:28

Greetings [Orlando_1000] first you should try verifying your game files via Steam. 

Steam: How to verify the integrity of the game files

Also I noted that your resolution from your game log is "1280 x 800 at 59hz" this mode is not a natural

resolution, because it should be at least 60hz or more, however by reducing the resolution you can increase

the Frame rate Per Second by at least 5 - 15fps you can try these resolutions "1152 X 864" or "1024 x 768"

or "800 x 600", higher resolutions reduce the fps.

Another thing you can try is deleting all your save-games and starting a new game from Book 2.

Please post up your system specification as [Crowboy] suggested also include whether it is laptop or desktop

also the wattage of the PSU and year it was installed, just like my system specification my signature below.

--
Andrew

System specification:
Video: XFX basic AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB, 1000mhz Core, 1200mhz Memory, 256bit Interface,
Replaced the HeatSinkfan with a HS with duel fans; overclock: 1150mhz Core, 1350mhz Memory.

#10 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:04

I had the same problem. Windows Xp, 32-bit, 4 gb memory (only 3,25 usable by this Windows), lots of crashes. The trick allowing Windows Xp to see 4 gb didn't work for me because of lack of compatibility with my video card. This particular crash in Book 2 made me purchase 64- bit version of Windows 8.1 and it solved all my problems. Now my Windows uses all 4 gb of memory and I haven't had a single crash, successfully completed Book 2 and replaying both books now. I can even play using highest quality settings, which may result in frame drops and lags but I experience no crashes. I'm so happy because I bought my pc in early 2008, so it's really old, but ok enough now to play DFC.
  • Tina and khh like this

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 May 2015 - 19:38

I had the same problem. Windows Xp, 32-bit, 4 gb memory (only 3,25 usable by this Windows), lots of crashes. The trick allowing Windows Xp to see 4 gb didn't work for me because of lack of compatibility with my video card. This particular crash in Book 2 made me purchase 64- bit version of Windows 8.1 and it solved all my problems. Now my Windows uses all 4 gb of memory and I haven't had a single crash, successfully completed Book 2 and replaying both books now. I can even play using highest quality settings, which may result in frame drops and lags but I experience no crashes. I'm so happy because I bought my pc in early 2008, so it's really old, but ok enough now to play DFC.

It's not a bad idea. I did this with my computer as well, when Windows 7 was first released.

(Also glad it worked out for you :))

It should be noted here that for Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 the CD key works for both 32 and 64 bit installations (except for the Starter version that was sold on netbooks. At least for the official Microsoft versions, I'm not sure about OEM keys). So if you have a Windows 7 install, and obtain a 64-bit CD with the same version of the OS (Microsoft used to host ISOs for all versions, but I'm not sure if they still do), you could upgrade for no cost. I believe the DVD version of the OS came with both 32- and 64-bit DVDs.

• Mr Moo and ChrisR like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#12 ASI Industries

ASI Industries

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 22:48

Greetings [ChrisR], what was the videocard that would not work with WinXP?

--
Andrew

System specification:

#13 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:16

Greetings [ChrisR], what was the videocard that would not work with WinXP?

If I remember correctly it wasn't that the video card was incompatible with Windows XP, it was that the drivers refused to provide 3D acceleration while the /3GB switch was enabled. Since Dreamfall was crashing without this switch, he couldn't progress. He posted in another thread that he has a radeon hd4850, so presumably it was that card.

• Crowboy and ChrisR like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#14 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:13

If you haven enough space on your hard drive, you could install the Win10 Preview in 64Bit Mode and just play from there.

#15 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:16

If I remember correctly it wasn't that the video card was incompatible with Windows XP, it was that the drivers refused to provide 3D acceleration while the /3GB switch was enabled. Since Dreamfall was crashing without this switch, he couldn't progress. He posted in another thread that he has a radeon hd4850, so presumably it was that card.

Yes, you are right. Thank you for explaining better than I myself could  :)

#16 orlando_1000

orlando_1000

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 21:58

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that thanks to ChrisR and his awesome suggestion, I went out and purchased 64bit Windows 8 and since switching to a 64bit OS it runs fine no crashes (yet!).

Must have been the silly 32bit memory issue.

Thanks again for all your help :-)

• Tina, khh, toremygg and 3 others like this

#17 Solpaa24

Solpaa24

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 15:12

Hi

Now the game crashes at this point. I also have a 32-bit Windows. I'm not able to click "Run as administrator" when I open the command prompt. I've tried to dial the code on the command prompt but a massage that said that BCDEDIT is not recognised as a command, program or file showed up, and it didn't work. In addition I've tried the application on the "Large Address Aware" site, both versions, with no result. On the Advanced mode, is it correct to select "True" on both "LAA" and "Original"? Didn't quite understand that.

Hope you can help    

#18 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 15:18

You have to run as admin to get access to bcdedit.

You can't run as admin because you don't have the password, or is there a different issue?

• khh likes this

#19 Solpaa24

Solpaa24

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 16:13

When I right click on the command prompt icon, the button for "run as admin" is not there, only the button for "run". Maybe it's some settings I have to change?

#20 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 June 2015 - 16:19

When I right click on the command prompt icon, the button for "run as admin" is not there, only the button for "run". Maybe it's some settings I have to change?

Are you using Windows XP? I believe that button should be there in every OS since.

April Ryan is my friend,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crashing, Book 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users