Photo
- - - - -

No mouse

broken

Best Answer khh , 05 May 2015 - 18:01

Yeah, that's curious. It looks like the game thinks you're tabbed out or something. Does it work in windowed mode?

To set it to Windowed mode without going into the game, type regedit into the start menu, and navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chaters folder.

There should be a key there called Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode_h3981298716 (the numbers may be different), double click on it and set it to 0. If the key is missing, try adding a DWORD value with that name and set it to 0.

If it works in Windowed mode I can tell you how to get the game running in borderless fullscreen, which should then circumvent the problem even if I don't understand why it happens.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 broken

broken

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 21:07

I bought dreamfall chapters from Steam a few days ago and installed on my system. The game started fine but at the main menu I have no mouse to choose any options such as "new game" or "exit". I downloaded the game twice and verified the down loads but same issue...

System- Pavilion g7 AMD A8-4500M
Radeon HD 7640G

#2 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2080 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 May 2015 - 21:15

Hello. Windows?

If you go to control panel -> System and Security -> System you should get some information.

Namely:

• Windows version
  • Processor type
  • Installed RAM
  • System type (64 or 32 bit)

Also, do you use a mouse, a touch pad or what?

#3 broken

broken

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 21:56

AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M

win 8.1 x64

6gb ram

All drivers are up to date.

#4 broken

broken

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 22:00

I run a 17inch laptop with a 28" monitor connected. Same problem with either monitor. I use a wired mouse and keyboard.

#5 broken

broken

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 16:12

Anyone know how to get a refund?

#6 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 May 2015 - 16:17

Hey Broken, sorry we missed this. 

Unfortunately, since you purchased the game on Steam, you'd need to contact Steam Support for a refund. Last I checked, they don't really do that, though. But it's their storefront and their deal. Red Thread Games can't really do much. 

If you want some more troubleshooting help, can you attach your output log? 

It should be in your Steam installation folder under "...\SteamApps\common\Dreamfall Chapters". In the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder, the output log file is called "output_log.txt" 

You should be able to add this file as an attachment to your forum post. Just click "More Reply Options" in the quick post box and that should take you to a new page with an "Attach Files" button. 

• khh likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#7 broken

broken

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 16:45

Thanks for your response. Attached is my log file. I would like to get this game running as I really liked the previous ones.... I agree, Steam is not exactly straight forward regarding support. Nevertheless, it is a good outlet opportunity for this game so attention to the Steam version is worthwhile....

Attached Files

#8 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:27

Okay, it looks to my untrained eyes like there's some stuff on that log, but I'm not savvy enough to decode it. Hopefully either one of the other mods, other more tech savvy members, or RTG can take a look and chime in with some suggestions. 

Thanks again for your patience!

#9 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 May 2015 - 18:01   Best Answer

Yeah, that's curious. It looks like the game thinks you're tabbed out or something. Does it work in windowed mode?

To set it to Windowed mode without going into the game, type regedit into the start menu, and navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chaters folder.

There should be a key there called Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode_h3981298716 (the numbers may be different), double click on it and set it to 0. If the key is missing, try adding a DWORD value with that name and set it to 0.

If it works in Windowed mode I can tell you how to get the game running in borderless fullscreen, which should then circumvent the problem even if I don't understand why it happens.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#10 broken

broken

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 19:28

I did the above and got a mouse. After trying several visual setting it seems to play fine at 1280x720, antialias-low, quality=low, now. I think this topic can be marked as solved. :)

• Tina, agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#11 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 May 2015 - 19:30

Excellent! I'm going to move this to "Community Help" then since the community managed to fix it and slap a "solved" sticker on it. 

Again, sorry it took so long for us to get this resolved, but I'm so glad that we could figure it out. :) I hope you enjoy the game and if you run into any more issues, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll do our best to get you sorted out. 

• khh likes this

#12 Ness

Ness

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:57

Hi Khh

That seems to have worked for me with the regit.exe - can you please tell me how to run the game with the borderless full screen?

Thanks

Ness

#13 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:45

Hi Khh
That seems to have worked for me with the regit.exe - can you please tell me how to run the game with the borderless full screen?
Thanks
Ness

Certainly.

If you're playing the game on Steam
Right click on the game in your Library and and click Properties. In the General tab hit the Set Launch Options button and enter
-popupwindow

If you're not playing the game on Steam
Right click on the shortcut you use to launch the game. In the Target field it will say something like
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters.exe"
At the end of that (after the ") add a space and -popupwindow, so the field reads
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters.exe" -popupwindow
(don't change the text inside the quotes).

On Mac and Linux it should essentially be the same, making sure the game is passed the -popupwindow argument, but the details of accomplishing it would be slightly different.

April Ryan is my friend,

#14 eplehav

eplehav

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 17:52

Hi!

I seem to have the same problem with not "finding the mouse pointer" in game, after I updated to windows 10 last night. Fixed the mouse issue with the windowed mode, but the trick to run it in full screen doesn't work for me. Playing via steam. Would greatly appreciate help; I'm not the most technically savvy "gamer". 

#15 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 21:26

So, just to confirm, the mouse is working with everything else, just not DFC?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#16 eplehav

eplehav

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 23:37

Yup, that's right! It seems like it's always some distance "above" where it's supposed to be according to where it's pointing, but mostly when I try to use the mouse it just leaves the game (like it's tabbed out). So everything so far seems like the original problem in this thread. Fixed with using windowed mode. 

#17 eplehav

eplehav

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 23:38

But still won't run in full screen.

#18 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 23:59

Hmmm, not sure what that could be. My first thought, if it was my system, would be to try a different mouse, especially if I had a different brand mouse available.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#19 eplehav

eplehav

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:14

I don't really think it's a mouse problem, seeing as the stuff I did initially worked. Also, I'm playing on my laptop and don't use an external mouse. I blame windows! :P

#20 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:23

Hi!

I seem to have the same problem with not "finding the mouse pointer" in game, after I updated to windows 10 last night. Fixed the mouse issue with the windowed mode, but the trick to run it in full screen doesn't work for me. Playing via steam. Would greatly appreciate help; I'm not the most technically savvy "gamer". 

Certainly, I've found there's a better, easier way of doing this.

Right-click on the game in your Steam library, select Properties, and in the General tab there's a button called "Set Launch Options...". Click that button and paste -popupwindow in the windows that pops up there (including the -) and hit OK.

After that when you launch the game through Steam it should launch in fake fullscreen. Make sure you set the game to run at the same resolution as your monitor (that should be the highest resolution the game allows you to set).

April Ryan is my friend,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users