Photo

Introducing my friend to TLJ, tips needed!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 aprilryan2

aprilryan2

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 27 June 2015 - 14:51

TLJ was the best! especially now

Spoiler

• Rowan37 likes this

#22 Rowan37

Rowan37

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanada - Stark - 21st Century

Posted 30 June 2015 - 16:02

Honestly I'd let them at least try the origional first. If they really don't get absorbed by the setting or the gameplay within an hour or three than I'd move on to Dreamfall. If they are reluctant of playing 2d point and click adventure games than TLJ will be the perfect test to see if they will enjoy the unique type of game. Introduce it as like an emersive cinamatic/novel experience, not so much a "game." I believe that if they don't get with the first game they likeyly won't vibe much with Dreamfall either. That's just my personal opinion as they both have a very heavy emphasis on in depth character development, plot, setting and dialogue. If they want an action game because that is all that they have ever played before, than you are presenting the best alternative :)
-Rowan "To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." -Cortez TLJ

#23 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:18

TLJ is my favorite game, but it embodies a completely different approach to gaming than DF. It is dated and comes from a genre where games were rated by their puzzles, not by storytelling. While it was the story and music that captured most of us, there were all the obligatory puzzles and the tiring task of running back and forth. Remember how long it would take just to see Burns Flipper, or put fizz in the Binko soda can (would you have even known to get a Binko soda without a Cheat of some sort). So the real issue is not 2D versus 3D, but lengthy dialogues, obscure puzzles and time consuming searches versus action.

TLJ will probably not hold your friends interest and, as others have already posted, DF is quite playable without first playing TLJ.

#24 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 15:00

Kari2:

Perhaps you should put your TLJ spoilers in spoiler tags just for those who haven't played the game who may read this thread.

As for your question:

Spoiler

#25 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 19:03

Kari2:

Perhaps you should put your TLJ spoilers in spoiler tags just for those who haven't played the game who may read this thread.

You are right. I've been getting sloppy in spoiler forums. As to "clicking on everything", it is a habit a lot of us have.  At least "pixel picking" was dead by then. I was sooo happy when gaming stopped that practice and opted for more substantial puzzles.

• Crowboy likes this

#26 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 July 2015 - 20:44

This is the spoiler forum, so I don't think the spoilers here were so bad. But yeah, maybe puzzle solution stuff is good to keep in spoiler tags even here (due to the title of the thread and in case someone reads this to see if they want to play the game)
  • Kari2 likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#27 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 21:44

People can assume DFC spoilers. But it's generally a good idea to put spoiler tags on non DFC related games/movies etc.

Just to be nice :)

#28 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 July 2015 - 21:51

If it had been in the Chapters subforum, yeah. But in the TLJ saga subforum, I'll expect spoilers from both TLJ and Dreamfall:TLJ. I'd expect Chapters stuff to be put in spoiler tags here, rather than TLJ stuff. But yes, it's always better to be safe than sorry :P
  • trentjaspar likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#29 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 22:00

My bad, I mistaken this to be in the DFC spoiler section  :blush:

Move along, nothing to see here... :rolleyes:

• Tina and Edreamer Jamil like this

#30 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 July 2015 - 22:25

If it had been in the Chapters subforum, yeah. But in the TLJ saga subforum, I'll expect spoilers from both TLJ and Dreamfall:TLJ. I'd expect Chapters stuff to be put in spoiler tags here, rather than TLJ stuff. But yes, it's always better to be safe than sorry :P

I would not require anyone to label spoilers from TLJ and Dreamfall anywhere except the TLJ Saga no spoilers forum, they're both past the statue of limitations to me. Though, as Crowboy says, people can add them to be nice. And I think I've added a tag or two when someone has asked me.

• Tina likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#31 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 04 July 2015 - 23:02

It's the perfect game for atheists like me. you might think that's ironic, but I wrote that long ago in a blog post of mine too. The balance is the sort of "religion" that is just based upon experience of the world , not out of fear as a motivator to do good. It also makes you question the perception of magic, that it's a container word just like science. And if you look at our "real" history, there's stuff we would have found "magic" as well. But going into magic in a much more nuanced way could just lead you to discover alchemy, or cosmic interference, and the way people could perform those, which kinda turns out very scientificly explainable almost. especially when you're into book 3 you get that vibe that magic, science: it's all a matter of perspective and that you could be fearful, or curious and wonder to discover more of it.

This whole TLJ story is like the true meaning of what goethe means when he says, art and science is my religion, let other people have religion as well..  (or something like that)

• khh likes this

#32 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 00:00

Gosh, I's been 50 years since I read Goethe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users