Photo

Introducing my friend to TLJ, tips needed!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TheDreamer

TheDreamer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 16:08

So, Im introducing my friend to the saga. He doesnt want to play TLJ because hes not that into 2d point and click games and I totally respect that. Hes really intrigued by Dreamfall and Chapters though!

So, I know its okay to play Dreamfall as your first game of the series because its Zoe's story, but Im wondering if there exists a video or something to get him up to date on the story of TLJ before playing Dreamfall? Or would you just let him dive in without any knowledge of TLJ?

Thanks!
  • Sha'nie likes this

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 16:49

Honestly, I think it's a lot easier to jump into Dreamfall without having played TLJ than jumping into DFC without having played Dreamfall. (Though it is still doable.) 

I'd probably just let him dive in. And maybe if he really likes it he'll decide he wants to go back and play TLJ. Or watch a Let's Play of it. 

There might be an abridged version of TLJ on YouTube somewhere, but I'm not directly aware of anything. Personally, I'd rather watch a Let's Play to bring myself up to date, but TLJ is a long game so that's a long commitment. 

So yeah, I guess I'd vote let him jump in, see if he likes it, and if he does then he can go back and seek out TLJ info. A lot of people here did it that way. 

• khh and Sha'nie like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 Sha'nie

Sha'nie

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 01 May 2015 - 17:52

Well i dont know your friend and its Never a good idea to force something on other and its Never easy to get freinds to play what you love if they are not into point and click and 2D game
I have freinds i'll like to play DFC whit and talk and talk about the game showing picture from the game but you know its Never A good idea to try to force anything on others just because we love this game.

I'll let Him see lets play/ walktrough video from youtube whit Dilandau3000 or whit Marchal Dyer they are good and Maybe he Will like it and want to play the game him self or find A video whit rewiev from TLJ - but for starter it Will be A good idea to let him see DFC and the recap for DF and I'm sure the rest Will come if he likes what he see. "I Think " :-))

Good Luck

#4 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 17:56

There are those on the forum who first played DF and only then TLJ.

While it's not the way the developers wished it to be experienced, it's not a fatality.

#5 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 18:32

Seconding what Sha'nie said - Dilandau3000's TLJ recap isn't bad (though a little dense):

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#6 TheDreamer

TheDreamer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 18:44

Well i dont know your friend and its Never a good idea to force something on other and its Never easy to get freinds to play what you love if they are not into point and click and 2D game
I have freinds i'll like to play DFC whit and talk and talk about the game showing picture from the game but you know its Never A good idea to try to force anything on others just because we love this game.

I'll let Him see lets play/ walktrough video from youtube whit Dilandau3000 or whit Marchal Dyer they are good and Maybe he Will like it and want to play the game him self or find A video whit rewiev from TLJ - but for starter it Will be A good idea to let him see DFC and the recap for DF and I'm sure the rest Will come if he likes what he see. "I Think " :-))

Good Luck

No no. Im not forcing it on anyone im just asking if its bad to play DF first and maybe never play TLJ at all. He was interested in DF and I showed the original game to him (tlj) but he said hes not interested in that.

#7 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 21:17

Just go without any recap. When questions in connection to April Ryan arise, you can answer them! Which can be part of the fun of playing together. :)

• Indrid Cold, TheDreamer and Crowboy like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#8 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:49

I don't think it's really a problem.  Some things won't make sense, but I played DF first, and got hooked. 

Really the only thing you lose (other than missing out on an awesome game) is some of the connections.  You meet April after everything went down, so you see this angry person, but it doesn't really affect you unless you've played TLJ.  And it's not as bit of an impact when she dies either.

That's probably the biggest thing you're friend will miss.  That emotional kick when April dies.  And I don't think that even a Let's Play video is really going to provide that, either.  You kind of have to play the game.

The missing story elements you can easily fill in, as Vainamoinen said, but there's no way you can make them care about April unless they play TLJ. 

• Sha'nie likes this

#9 Sha'nie

Sha'nie

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:12

Dear Carefulsaint

I owe you an apology - i dident Think about you as someone who force Any One to any Thing -

its my bad english i dident know a better word and used the word force - i'm so sorry - i have been thinking. All Day long at my work that it Was bad choises of word and Yes it Was - i just Think when you realy like or love something you/we all - realy wont all arround us to join the fun and sometimes we just are A bit like Enu and its Nice but Maybe it dont work the Way we whish for.
and yah right now i feel A bit like Enu - words Comming out of my mouth and Ahhhh anoing.

All of you in here are welcome to correct my english - you know i Never learn english in School the english i Can is something i learn by my self and my writing english is sometimes realy bad
. - I know that - i have learn english writing by see How others write an listen to others.

So Again Carefulsaint i'm realy sorry for my bad choise of word. I hope you Can forgive me.

And good Luck whit your friend and you playing DFC /DF /TLJ - just belive that it Will happen and then you see it Will.

#10 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2254 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:50

I'm with those who say to just have your friend start playing DF.  Think of it kind of like when you are reading a series and the author goes back and writes a prequel to it to further explain the back story of characters you are famliar with.  If your friend is intrigued enough with the story in DF/DFC, then he might want to go back and watch/play TLJ to get that back story.

#11 Z43

Z43

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 15:55

TLJ is pretty hard to play these days. Poor compatibility, terrible resolution, dated game format. The link between TLJ and Dreamfall is fairly remote and it's perfectly fine to start with the latter.

DFC's visuals are a lot better at drawing one in, but the story is completely tied into continuing on Dreamfall. If anything it's DFC that's a lot more connected with TLJ than DF is.

So the best order in this case would be DF->TLJ->DFC.

#12 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 18:22

I actually enjoyed TLJ not long ago. I think that the graphics is not that poor.

Sure it had some visual issues at first, but a quick search online solved them and I was good to go.

#13 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 May 2015 - 18:47

TLJ is absolutely doable, and when you get into it you forget about the graphics. But it is a barrier to entry.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#14 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 19:19

I was thinking the same thing.  I remember when I replayed it recently, and thought: "how the hell did I ever play this game?"  But once you got past the first part you got into it and everything else kind of fell away.

#15 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 21:15

You can always recommend them the iphone version of TLJ.

#16 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:29

Good luck. I struggle myself with convincing my friends to play either The Longest Journey or Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Unlike Z43, I think that TLJ, overall, has better usability and game comfort than Dreamfall (except for the compatibility, it is true : TLJ did crash during a few FMV's I wouldn't skip when I played it on Windows 7). It is a classic 2D point-and-click adventure game you can easily explore while Dreamfall has some gameplay issues.

If you advise your friend to start with Dreamfall (I wouldn't, though it is my favorite game of the saga), tell him-her to change options regarding the camera (controls to invert) and the mouse. And that it is more enjoyable, as for me, at least, with the 360 controller.

If the video recap from Dilandau3000 is not enough, you can also read the script from the first game (dialogues and stage directions-like texts) thanks to Eveolene and Bluejay on her website.

#17 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:11

I think it depends on whether you "get" point-and-clicks and/or enjoy puzzling. The reason I love TLJ is I gave it to my best friend and she loved it. Playing it together (or, rather, me watching her play it) is one of the most beautiful memories I have. She clicked with the format, if you'll pardon the pun.

Conversely, I gave the game to another friend recently and he never really progressed beyond the first few scenes. I asked him how he was getting on after a few weeks and he said oh right, yeah, I got stuck and never went back. He's just not interested in playing that kind of game. For him I would therefore recommend Dreamfall more. Maybe even just go straight to DFC.

#18 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 May 2015 - 15:23

Did your friend get the game on GOG.com, Happy Tree ? Because if he got stuck, the game provides a guide (a PDF illustrated walkthrough), should he be stuck because of the puzzles.

#19 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 17:30

No, it was the original PC disk version. But he knows he can just ask me or look up walkthroughs on the net if he wants. He just can't be bothered with this type of game. My best friend, she of course solved it all without any hints. Even the rubber ducky, yes :-D

• Mr Moo likes this

#20 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 May 2015 - 21:45

Wow. I'm impressed. ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users