• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Mystic

Mystic

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:53

For me it'll always be TLJ, and the first reason I can think of is because as many of you said, I adore April Ryan. 

Not only April, but I really liked the characters of TLJ. Fiona, Charlie and Emma were so nice and funny; Cortez being so mysterious, his way of talking really draws you more to the story. And Crow too, of course. I loved April's backstory, her ironic and funny sense of humor and as someone mentioned you can feel that she was a student, it was an environment you could easily feel yourself inside of, the dialogues helped a lot with that and her diary was great too.

I loved the scenery of Stark and Marcuria, the puzzles (combining several objects and running here and there to get them) and their complexity and just the story as a whole.

About Dreamfall: TLJ, I had a hard time with it back then because what I wanted the most was to find out what happened with April. I didn't like to switch of main character, discovering that April got stuck in Arcadia and how she became so bitter with life was a sad surprise. I didn't get to like Zoë as much as I liked April because I empathized more with her, Zoë didn't have that bright charisma that she had and I didn't find Kian interesting either. But well, maybe I was just being a whiny brat because what did they do to my precious April and such.

Years passed and in DFC I came to like Zoë and Kian much more, you get to know them better and the hardships they went through. I also refreshed my memory of D: TLJ and noticed things I didn't before, like Zoë probably having symptoms of depression and her search of identity and purpose in life, which I could relate to at that time being and understanding that character depth made me like her more.

But I liked TLJ's puzzles complexity more, and while I didn't hate to death the combat system implemented, I think it was too brief and if felt a bit anticlimatic. The way of telling the story felt more like a movie and I liked it though, in that aspect I like both TLJ and Dreamfall.

Regarding DFC, I'm liking it a lot too but now that I've watched a playthrough of D:TLJ I feel like while the story seemed to be developing as you played, in DFC they're barely scratching the surface and leaving you even more questions to maybe reveal the all shocking answers in the end, and with so many things left in the air I wonder if it will be possible to answer all of them with just one book left.

• Babel-17, Nancy Brown, Neurotic and 1 other like this

#82 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:49

I liked dreamfall better for one simple reason. It had a bigger emotional impact on me.

#83 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 17:44

I liked dreamfall better for one simple reason. It had a bigger emotional impact on me.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey or Dreamfall: Chapters?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#84 TowCat

TowCat

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:35

For me it'll always be TLJ, and the first reason I can think of is because as many of you said, I adore April Ryan. 

Not only April, but I really liked the characters of TLJ. Fiona, Charlie and Emma were so nice and funny; Cortez being so mysterious, his way of talking really draws you more to the story. And Crow too, of course. I loved April's backstory, her ironic and funny sense of humor and as someone mentioned you can feel that she was a student, it was an environment you could easily feel yourself inside of, the dialogues helped a lot with that and her diary was great too.

I loved the scenery of Stark and Marcuria, the puzzles (combining several objects and running here and there to get them) and their complexity and just the story as a whole.

About Dreamfall: TLJ, I had a hard time with it back then because what I wanted the most was to find out what happened with April. I didn't like to switch of main character, discovering that April got stuck in Arcadia and how she became so bitter with life was a sad surprise. I didn't get to like Zoë as much as I liked April because I empathized more with her, Zoë didn't have that bright charisma that she had and I didn't find Kian interesting either. But well, maybe I was just being a whiny brat because what did they do to my precious April and such.

Years passed and in DFC I came to like Zoë and Kian much more, you get to know them better and the hardships they went through. I also refreshed my memory of D: TLJ and noticed things I didn't before, like Zoë probably having symptoms of depression and her search of identity and purpose in life, which I could relate to at that time being and understanding that character depth made me like her more.

But I liked TLJ's puzzles complexity more, and while I didn't hate to death the combat system implemented, I think it was too brief and if felt a bit anticlimatic. The way of telling the story felt more like a movie and I liked it though, in that aspect I like both TLJ and Dreamfall.

Regarding DFC, I'm liking it a lot too but now that I've watched a playthrough of D:TLJ I feel like while the story seemed to be developing as you played, in DFC they're barely scratching the surface and leaving you even more questions to maybe reveal the all shocking answers in the end, and with so many things left in the air I wonder if it will be possible to answer all of them with just one book left.

Don't worry, you weren't a whiny brat! I felt the same thing and i was over 40 at the time. That said, i really tried to get into Zöe and after playing her for a while, i liked her humor as much as April's. After 3 times of playing Dreamfall in a decade i had a lot of fun.

But TLJ will always be my Nr. 1 Game, even there are a lot of other good adventures in the space.

• Mystic likes this

▬|█████████|▬ This is Nudelholz. Copy Nudelholz into your profile to make better Kuchens or other Teigprodukte! Oder take it und hau it on the Kopp of a bekloppt Person to give a better Gefühl than vorher!

#85 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:45

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey or Dreamfall: Chapters?

TLJ. I've not played chapters yet actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users