84 replies to this topic

#61 mse

mse

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 03 October 2015 - 17:29

To me it's The Longest Journey, hands down. First of all, it's a point-and-click game, and the whole reason why I discovered the games was because I was asking around for recommendations in that particular genre. Second of all, the voice acting and the script is brilliant, I love every single character and pretty much every single aspect and moments of the game. The story is great but also woven through with mystery, there are so many locations, April is an amazing character, and we get immediately immersed in her journey. Third and most importantly though: the world building is just fantastic, and the excitement that the discovery of the twin worlds and their mythology brings is something that by default none of the follow-up games could ever achieve.

Dreamfall in comparison is different, and I admit, it left me quite frustrated the first time I played through. Since then, I learned to appreciate it, but it's still my least favorite of the series so far. Some of those are personal preferences, I wasn't a fan of the fact that we had stealth and combat in the first place, and it made me hate locations like the caves and the hotel. I also felt like some of the voice acting wasn't up to the same level, but that may just be nit-picking. But mostly, I was frustrated by how the game ended, with no sense of closure and a whole bunch of open-ended plotlines. Yes, I know that Dreamfall was never meant to be a standalone piece, but that shouldn't have meant a total lack of resolution. And as much as I loved how dynamic the game was, the fact that most of the puzzles can be solved with your phone was really disheartening. That all being said, Zoe was a protagonist that I actually really needed at that time of my life, so it is still a really special game to me, but it just can't beat TLJ for me.

Dreamfall Chapters so far feels like it will fall between the two. The puzzles are more creative than in DF, I'm more happy with the voice acting, adding Choice and Consequences is a great fit for the franchise, we also seem to be getting back to some of our old mythology with the House of All Worlds... Overall, I would say that it's actually pretty close to TLJ so far in my book, although I wish we had more locations to play around. (That could of course still change by Book 5, and it seems pretty likely that it will.)

• yodagreen3, Mr_Russ and Nancy Brown like this

#62 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 03 October 2015 - 18:50

Which game do you like more TLJ or Dreamfall.

(you have to choose!)

I like TLJ more becouse i realy had the feeling that April is an Student. I love how they design the studenthouse, job place in an Bar, and an hot summer day. It feels so real! and it makes the character stronger and more real.

Dreamfall have not much if this and i have not the feel for Zoë that i have for April..

That's tough, really tough.

I love them both.  But I think Longest Journey wins. And I think that's because it felt to me almost like Dreamfall was incomplete, or shortened.  It still came out awesome, but it felt like there were some things that should have been added that they didn't get a chance to do.  I don't know the history behind it, but I can see the framework for an even better game.  The Longest Journey was pratically perfect in every way (except for that rubber ducky puzzle).

#63 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 19:29

The Wikipedia really speaks volumes here. 

"The Longest Journey
 was acclaimed by critics. It was praised for its female protagonist April Ryan, who is considered one of the most memorable female characters in the history of adventure games,[14] and also for its enigmatic, complex storyline and high production values, but was criticized for some of its more obscure puzzles. It received a score of 88.00% on GameRankings[7] and 91/100 on Metacritic.[8]GameSpot called it "one of the best adventure games in years" and applauded the "complex and interesting story" although found the ending lacking as "the epilogue does little to wrap everything up".[10]IGN said the game "actually reinvents how stories can be told in the medium" and noticed the mature content, including "harsh subject matter, and some big time swearing". Some of the puzzles were described as "inane", but on the whole the game "hones the genre into its tightest, sharpest form yet".[12]The US edition of PC Gamer praised the "mature and magical" story, the "sumptuous" graphics, and the game's puzzles.[13] The only criticism levied by the magazine was that some parts of the game might be "too edgy" for younger players.[13] The Longest Journey subsequently won the Adventure Game of the Year award by both gaming sites.[15][16] By mid-2002, the game had sold 450,000 copies.[17]"

A continuation of The Longest JourneyDreamfall: The Longest Journey, was released in April 2006. The next installment of the series, Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey, was crowd-funded on Kickstarter and is being released episodically. Its first episode was released in October 2014.[18]

The developers view Dreamfall: The Longest Journey as more of a spin-off than a direct sequel to the first game, as it revolves around a new protagonist, with a new storyline.[4] The direct sequel to The Longest Journey, entitled The Longest Journey Home, was revealed in 2013 and is to be produced after Dreamfall Chapters.[19]

T
his also summarizes how I feel about the series more or less. I've even called the second game a spin-off . I like the rubber ducky puzzle, I figured it out on my own and it took some thinking... If I had to rate the difficulty of this game?

I'd rate this as a one in video game difficulty and would rate this game a 2 or a 3. There's really not any moment so far that you never know what to do. I guess I can give it a 3. The Longest Journey had puzzles, so did Dreamfall if I remember right. This game is more about choices than puzzles. 

#64 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 15 October 2015 - 20:34

Well said though I personally preferred dreamfall, probably as I actually made it all the way through. Didn't take to the first one as a game but liked the story

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#65 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 23:00

Honestly, that's how I feel for most the puzzles of this game. 

For example SPOILERS for book 2 of  3 below 

Follow the tubes straight to guards 

A listen icon appears

"Rats in the tubes"...

It's basically Donald looking at the alphabet and chasing the letter... 

It is an interesting story, but it plays more like Heavy Rain as a game than TLJ, and as far as multipath games go blade runner did it with several different endings as far back as 1997. Heavy Rain did it more recently. This game I would honestly put in the same class, or genre of gaming. As Heavy Rain didn't really have puzzles either. 

The Longest Journey to me is a masterpiece. Dreamfall is a good game, part of the series. I'm enjoying chapters immensely but it's not a very difficult game. The story is great though and I love the environments in full 3D which adds something to the universe, experience. 

#66 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 23:48

I think some of the very best multi-path games have been the Tex Murphy series. The Pandora Directive (which many people still consider one of the top adventure games ever created) did it in the 90s and Tesla Effect did it again last year.

• yodagreen3 and Mr_Russ like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#67 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:02

I'm not a big fan of high difficulty games though. They require time I no longer have
  • yodagreen3 likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#68 mse

mse

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:32

I love games with puzzle-solving, but I don't need them to be difficult or time-consuming (I obviously don't mind though). The reason why I disliked the DF puzzles is because they were extremely repetitive, especially the ones using your phone. The ones in DFC so far were more about exploring your surroundings, which is another thing that I immensely enjoy about these types of games, so I was definitely down with that.

• DiskJunky and yodagreen3 like this

#69 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 13:58

Ditto 😊

#70 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 16 October 2015 - 18:55

There are some very interesting responses in this thread, and, well worth reading.

For me, games do not have a rating but rather an emotional appeal - stronger or less appeal depending on what is going on with the rest of my life. That is because games are an excape into an alternate reality and it is the experiential element and not the mental element that captures and holds me. Yes, there can be a sense of accomplishment in solving puzzles and they do create some interest, but it is the emotive element that clearly dominates my response to the game. I also hate all combat. It took me a full day to move beyond the introduction of April in the Northlands in DF. I also disliked the "phone" puzzles mainly because needed icons simply were not displayed in a timely manner. That all said, both games are among my favorite games and both have a strong emotional impact.

• the red of the kin likes this

#71 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 25 October 2015 - 19:44

The Longest Journey

1) It feels like a fairy tale but at the same time like a sci-fi adventure

2) sense of true discovery

3) sense of accomplishment while playing

4) touching stories

5) April and her houmor...I'm sorry but it's hard to top her character

6) a game that has a beginning and an actual end

7) the 2d backgrounds

8) funnier puzzles
9) more places to go (even if I admit it must take more effort building and entire 3D setting)
10) funny and memorable characters
11) Marcuria feels more alive and magic

12) The balance is something that is explained and feels even more interesting than the force in star wars. In DF it's not really talked about all that much.

I still loved D: TLJ, though!

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#72 freymarch

freymarch

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:38

Although the latest game looks great and all and the fact that it's a sequel just makes it  even more awesome, I still liked the original - especially in terms of puzzle solving. Storywise - they're still both great.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#73 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 November 2015 - 23:04

I only played TLJ when dreamfall was released (i remembered having read a review of TLJ a few years earlier, and decided to play the original before playing the sequel. That was one of the best decisions i have made to this date.)

both games are children of their time in some very bad ways. I remember some of the TLJ puzzles did not at all make sense, which was par for the course with late 90's adventure games. also, the choice to go with 3d character models on a 2d background did not at all work as well for funcom as it did for lucasarts when they made grim fandango and the late generation monkey island games.

the character models in TLJ did not age with grace. The graphics did help creating a sort of atmosphere i have not found anywhere else, though. And i think TLJ is my favorite, because it's the first game that was actually portraying persons rather than caricatures. (Blade Runner came close, though) For this, Ragnar should be in the game developers hall of fame.

Dreamfall had its own share of elements that games from the mid-aughts suffer from. To be kind, the combat is poor, and the hacking minigames are atrocious. (they always are). I would say that Dreamfall is a better told story, and when it came out it was a beautiful game. i honestly think that dreamfall is one of the few games of this era that has aged pretty well. It had colours in an era where everything was starting to become brown-grey-green shooters. 2006 was the release year of call of duty 3, splinter cell double agent and Gears of war... and oblivion... It was also the time when reviewers would slash a game because it was an adventure game... Even though the level of fidelity may not be as high in dreamfall as in some of these titles, both marcuria and (especially casablanca) are more pleasing to the eye today than pretty much any environment these other games have produced.

• khh likes this

#74 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 November 2015 - 16:25

To be kind, the combat is poor, and the hacking minigames are atrocious. (they always are).

Different game genre, but have you ever played Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

I loved that minigame.  Hacked everything I could get my hands on.

It wasn't ultra-sophisticated (no command line or anything), but it was quick and fun (IMO of course).  :)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#75 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 13 November 2015 - 18:40

Different game genre, but have you ever played Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

I loved that minigame.  Hacked everything I could get my hands on.

It wasn't ultra-sophisticated (no command line or anything), but it was quick and fun (IMO of course).  :)

yes i played it but i can't say it did anything for me. the hacking in the original Deus Ex was awesome. (basically, a skill check or if you know the password, enter it)

the problem with hacking minigames to me are that they include time limits.

#76 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 23:25

I enjoyed both games but I definitely prefer Dreamfall. It is maybe my favourite game ever, certainly my favourite story-based game. I personally related to the life and motivations of Zoe rather than April, though I don't relate to characters/people on any deep extent in any media except the news so that isn't the main qualifier really. I also played Dreamfall first, that might have something to do with my preference. You always compare the one you played first to the one you played second and when you do this comparison, sometimes you forget some negative details so the second can't possibly measure up. At least, that's probably what happened to me.

I also prefer Dreamfall's story of corporate intrigue, occupation, etc. But I think TLJ had a better supporting cast.

#77 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:43

I enjoyed both games but I definitely prefer Dreamfall. It is maybe my favourite game ever, certainly my favourite story-based game. I personally related to the life and motivations of Zoe rather than April, though I don't relate to characters/people on any deep extent in any media except the news so that isn't the main qualifier really. I also played Dreamfall first, that might have something to do with my preference. You always compare the one you played first to the one you played second and when you do this comparison, sometimes you forget some negative details so the second can't possibly measure up. At least, that's probably what happened to me.

I also prefer Dreamfall's story of corporate intrigue, occupation, etc. But I think TLJ had a better supporting cast.

If I had played TLJ after Dreamfall, my response would have been similar. The gaming world has changed so much since TLJ was first released, as well as our social-cultural environment. At that time, it was the most engaging game I had played; so, it is still my favorite.

#78 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:53

To me, TLJ is the definitive choice. Dreamfall didn't have, both literally and figuratively, a lot of the magic that TLJ had. While Dreamfall felt like a good adventure, TLJ felt like an epic adventure.

As for Chapters, I prefer it to Dreamfall, but so far there hasn't been much of a journey to speak of. Looks like that will change in Book 4, but the first three books feels like a prologue, and now Kian and Zoë have finally started their respective journeys. Knowing that there will only be two more books, I'm afraid their journeys this time around won't really live up to the TLJ name. I hope we don't have to go back to Marcuria and Propast until the very end of Book 5, because I want an adventure and a journey, and not a "Life in Propast 2220" simulator, so to speak. :P 

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the game immensely, but Propast and Marcuria have both already becoming a bit boring, and a change of scenery is long overdue in my opinion. I very much look forward to the next book as the literal journeys will finally start, and we can go out and discover new things. However, in my opinion, that should have already happened one book ago. Here's hoping the remaining books and chapters will be long and full of adventure!

Other than that, Chapters started out outdoing Dreamfall on the story side, but at the moment it feels as if it has stalled and dropped in level a bit. TLJ still tops them both, even with it's rather slow start.

As for puzzles(or "puzzles", for the latter two games), Chapters kind of outdoes Dreamfall, but TLJ still remains the only of the games where it feels like you actually did something. Chapters has got the whole "your choices have concequences" thing down, which is all well and good, but that doesn't really give you that satisfactory feeling of having accomplished anything. It doesn't really feel like I've progressed, despite the game moving on. And even the rubber ducky puzzle in the first game isn't as bad as it's notoriety would have people believe.

I also enjoy the general atmosphere of the first game to the Dreamfall games. Again, Chapters is second(a lot because of Saga, whom helps in bringing back some of that good, old TLJ magic - again, literally and figuratively). The Dreamfall games just don't feel as adventurous as the first game. This goes for the characters too: TLJ had fantastic characters, Dreamfall's felt kind of flat and boring for the most part, and Chapters is picking up the pace, yet isn't quite where TLJ were.

Much of the reason for the atmosphere not living up to the TLJ game is that the Dreamfall games are a bit too heavy and serious with some humour now and then(but mostly in the background), while TLJ was naturally both heavy and serious at the same time as being light hearted and "tongue in cheek" funny.

TL;DR: Still enjoying all the games, but both Dreamfall games can thus far not compete with TLJ, in my honest opinion. They lack the feeling of accomplishment you could get from solving the puzzles in TLJ, and their stories and journeys don't feel nearly as epic. So, TLJ first, Chapters second, Dreamfall third.

• Vainamoinen, Pawlo_86 and the red of the kin like this

#79 mnykrem

mnykrem

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 15:03

I would say The Longest Journey. I think it's just a better game overall. It feels much more genuine in a way :)

#80 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:09

By Jaal's infected arshole, you ask a difficult question! :P

I'm gonna have to say TLJ cause of April Ryan being the only protagonist and the massive amount of lore made available to explore. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users