Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:59

Nope XD

Sorry for the confusion, it's just that I never really warmed up to the word "husband", so I go for partner instead.

Anyway, I'm still the same old pillow-kicking Silvara :D

• Teller, trentjaspar and DiskJunky like this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#22 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:51

Indeed...and I got thrown by the word 'partner' which I thought connoted same-sex.

Apparently not always!

I can't speak for other places but "Partner" is used to denote someone you're in a serious relationship with but are not yet married to. This constitutes quite a wide range of situations so it also gets used when someone doesn't want to be specific

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#23 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 21:42

Anyway, I'm still the same old pillow-kicking Silvara :D

Apparently you're not "same old" pillow-kicking Silvara-- now you're black-and-white-with-red-glasses pillow-kicking Silvara.  :)

• Silvirish4ever likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#24 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 08 April 2014 - 21:47

Apparently you're not "same old" pillow-kicking Silvara-- now you're black-and-white-with-red-glasses pillow-kicking Silvara.  :)

Hehe! Well, I've received the honor of being the leader of the League of Glasses in the forum, so I figured that my glasses-less avatar was not fit anymore.

I mean, I cannot go kicking pillows without glasses on, can I? God knows where my foot may end up in.

• trentjaspar likes this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#25 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1884 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:56

How did I miss this thread?

For me, it's easy - TLJ. I like the protagonist (much) better, I prefer the 2D backgrounds, and TLJ is a pureblooded adventure game - while Dreamfall is more of an interactive story with some adventure elements.

It's also fair to mention that the storytelling itself is superior in Dreamfall, though.

Though AstralTraveller pretty much covered my feelings towards this subject.  I enjoyed the game TLJ much more and like April much more than Zoe, but Dreamfall just has so many more feels.  Still I choose TLJ.  

Maybe you should add a poll to this, then we can see the numbers better. :)

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#26 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:07

TLJ

• khh and Nancy Brown like this

#27 aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2014 - 20:28

My vote is for TLJ, because of April Ryan.  I'm more emotionally vested with her as opposed to Zoe.  There was so much more I appreciated with her and the storyline.  In like fashion to a previous poster, it's as if it's my first love.  It totally revitalized the genre when it released.  Much respect and love for Dreamfall, no doubt, as its story greatly enhances the TLJ storyline, which is itself consistently immersive and expansive. 

The 3D graphics of Dreamfall is so tops with me as well.  With that said, I did not care for the hybrid feel it had at times.  I also found it awkward and daunting to find that comfy navigational/control groove.  Zoe is a cliche with a bland personality.  So while I thoroughly enjoyed Dreamfall and what Zoe brings to it, my first response as I entered the game was _huffy/embittered sigh.  Apologies for any offense as none was intended.  I cared more about those around Zoe than Zoe herself.  I LOOOVED returning to TLJ locations and the return of many characters and how effected everything/everyone was.

• skadet likes this

I found it I did, a way through the marshes....Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go 'round for miles and miles.

#28 Jemobulas

Jemobulas

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBulgaria - Varna

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:17

To begin with - I LOVE both games! The main purpose of both is first & fore most to tell a story. And they do. Now I know some people complain for other things but no one does for this. I played Dreamfall back in the days & I stumbled upon it by a complete accident. It was after I began playing it that I realized that there is probably a prequel. It was half a decade later that I played the The Longest Journey. I sat down with my partner & we played through the 2 games going into every single detail, reading everything, talking to everyone. It was THE greatest gaming experience for both of us ever. And I have played a looot of games.

When we began playing the first game it took us a little while to get used to it, she was a bit bored with the conversation between April & Fiona at first, while I was too hyped because I had played Dreamfall in the past & I was already a big fan even before playing the game (simple hope that it would tell a good story as well). By the end of the conversation it was already obvious that the game won't treat us as simple minded kids and we began to get invested. And so we truly began playing... And after we finished we were so overexcited. We moved on to Dreamfall as quickly as possible. There the upgrade in the visuals helped tell the story even better altho in a different way. As Anouk first stated in this topic, we could feel a lot more immersed into April's character than we did into Zoe's. But this doesn't make Dreamfall a bad told story. The tale itself was told really well & it was still immersive, it still took as from the very beginning & didn't let us go until the end!

In conclusion I can say that despite most people prefer TLJ, I alone for 2 reasons prefer Dreamfall. First - it was the game I played when I was little & second - it gave us the greatest cliff-hanger a game has ever given! TLJ was an introduction to a great world, even two at that, and gave us many great characters, many interesting stories & yes - better puzzles than it's sequel. Dreamfall on the other hand did something better than TLJ - it kept us waiting for 13 years (the magical number in the TLJ universe) waiting, hoping & praying for a sequel to come! And after all this time our prayers have been heard. And by the right people at that. Thank you Ragnar & Red Thread Games for continuing our dream! We Love You! ^_^

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Jemobulas: Eternal fan of The Longest Journey saga seeking to help for the development of Dreamfall Chapters in any way possible!

#29 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 13:24

TLJ for sure for many reasons:

1. TLJ doesn't leave you with huge cliffhangers. I hate cliff hangers especially when they are not resolved for "8 bloody years" ( B) )

2. I think the gameplay was much longer and richer with deep puzzles.

3. I don't like dark April as much as the original naive April.

4. The white of the kin is much more beautiful and influential in TLJ

5. In DF, even when on Arcadia, you don't experience the world itself. (e.g.you don't experience Magic, or magical creatures like April did in TLJ). You basically hang a little in Marcuria 99% of the time, and once Zoe gets there on the second time, she immediately just wants to go home. So why did you hook to the dreamer in the first place?

6. April isn't nice to Crow in DF

The list goes on...

#30 Rowan37

Rowan37

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanada - Stark - 21st Century

Posted 20 April 2014 - 00:06

The Longest Journey (2000) is my favourite game.
For years I have been reluctant to play Dreamfall, because I had heard about how April had changed and assumed that I would hate it. I unjustly judged the game without playing it. I finally got around to it this weekend. At first I had many mixed feelings, especially in the first few chapters. Now that it's over I can say I absolutely loved it. It must be my 2nd fav game. I can't wait for Chapters and TLJH. I just made my pledge today, though I'm a little late.

• wandrew, Tina, WorldsReunited and 3 others like this
-Rowan "To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." -Cortez TLJ

#31 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:47

I actually didn't like how they "killed" ( hopefully not) April Ryan in dream fall, but I did like the ending of the game. I thought it was clever, and inspiring, I thought the ending had guts and to me it didn't feel like an ending , even though the world was falling apart. I thought that ending had a lot of guts to it. I actually really liked it. Even if it was an ending and things ended bitterly I thought it was a brilliant ending to the series. :D I was like wow, they went there , that's pretty awesome. At the same time I was trying to convince myself that April Ryan could still be alive and that things could change for the better, I also felt that it was a fitting ending that if April were to die and Zoe to fail that the world would be destroyed.   I didn't like April "dying" but I thought it was perfect for the ending of the game. So in some strange way I guess I could kind of accept her death. The whole game she was someone I didn't recognize entirely, she had become much darker and the world a darker place. I can't quite explain it but Dreamfall convinced me that death and the end of the world was a fitting ending for the character and the story.  She was so artsy and different in the first game, so more life like , and though the direction the character took in the second game was logical... It just some how worked for me for her to die and the series to end on a dark note.

Honestly I thought the ending was a masterpiece. I liked it ,even though the game had possibly killed off one of my favorite characters and the world looked like it was ending.

I hope that the third game in the series can bring new life to the character. I can't explain it but I'd almost accept that April Ryan is dead, even though she's one of my all time favorite fictional characters. I loved the ending.

Though, over all I didn't like some of the changes to April Ryan's character and the series I felt the ending was perfect.  I can't wait to see what they do with April next.

I loved the first game, the 2nd was good too. I was already a little sad April had died but seeing what she became I guess it was kind of like poetic justice how the game ended and I guess kind of ironic given the struggle of the first game. I felt it was a perfect ending given how things had ended up.I felt the second game handled her character very well, I just don't necessarily like the change she went though even though it were logical.  I loved April from the first game, from the second I pitied her and empathized with her new struggles but couldn't help but notice she was no longer whole or the same woman from the first game but had grown up to be something else and that she had lost part of herself along the way that made her such a lovable character from the first game.

I guess it was poetic justice because part of my heart had already died along with the character and I guess it just felt right that things end on a bitter note as the character had become very bitter.  I thought Ragnar at the time was going for an artistic ending that wasn't a happy ending, but a cold and cynical look at reality. I thought it was genius, I haven't forgotten it since and it will stay with me for a long time. April had lost a little soul from the first game and the second game seemed to have lost something from the first so when the game ended in what seemed failure to save the balance it felt natural to me, it felt artistic and daring. It was daring to change things as much as they did to begin with even if it was logical.

I think both games were great, in there own way, but they are very different in my opinion when looking at April Ryan's character. 
I could have lived with the series if it had ended there regardless of some of my feelings about the sequel.

I did actually enjoy the 2nd game even though I couldn't really see it as a sequel it was an enjoyable game and gave me a conclusion to the series. Though now that the 3rd game is coming out it will probably change how I feel about the other 2.

• DiskJunky likes this

#32 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:30

The Longest Journey (2000) is my favourite game.
For years I have been reluctant to play Dreamfall, because I had heard about how April had changed and assumed that I would hate it. I unjustly judged the game without playing it. I finally got around to it this weekend. At first I had many mixed feelings, especially in the first few chapters. Now that it's over I can say I absolutely loved it. It must be my 2nd fav game. I can't wait for Chapters and TLJH. I just made my pledge today, though I'm a little late.

You're a bit like me with TLJ :)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#33 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 20:18

yodagreen3: You should see our discussions about cliffhangers - are they worth it to understand the ending was extremely frustrating for some of us.

• yodagreen3 likes this

#34 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 20:50

I don't doubt it. :)  I was surprised when I saw another game being made but I wasn't shocked about it. I had just finished Dream Fall for the first time, before it was announced. 

#35 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:01

You're lucky.

I played dreamfall for the first time about when it came out. I've been waiting for years for a continuation, and periodically check if there was any progress.

When Funcom scraped the project, I thought I'm going to kill someone.

• aeonfluxx75 likes this

#36 demonofelru

demonofelru

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationThe Colony, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 14:44

Yes, the wait for Chronicles/Chapters has been long and (almost) unbearable at times. So... close...

I was dreaming. Perhaps it may have been but a long forgotten memory. Things remembered when one is asleep. Things forgotten when one is awake. Where the deepest layers of memories become the outmost layers of one's dreams. Which are reality? Which are illusions? Or perhaps they are, at the same time, both truth and fiction. A vast nebulous with no boundaries. An emptiness equivalent to my own existence. I dreamt such a dream. A long, never-ending, dream. - Fei Fong Wong

#37 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 14:46

Oh sure, my luck is priceless...I don't wait for anything any more, I waited for Indiana Jones 4 for 15 years, maybe you did too. Alot of people did.  

I don't wait for Star Wars VII ,or anything any more. I'm not even dying from waiting for this game. When it comes it comes.  I guess I got that from experience waiting for things that are exciting but really not all that important. When it comes I'll enjoy it, hopefully until then I won't be waiting. :)

#38 demonofelru

demonofelru

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationThe Colony, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 16:23

Oh sure, my luck is priceless...I don't wait for anything any more, I waited for Indiana Jones 4 for 15 years, maybe you did too. Alot of people did.  

I don't wait for Star Wars VII ,or anything any more. I'm not even dying from waiting for this game. When it comes it comes.  I guess I got that from experience waiting for things that are exciting but really not all that important. When it comes I'll enjoy it, hopefully until then I won't be waiting. :)

I'm excited for Star Wars VII because George Lucas isn't making it.

I was dreaming. Perhaps it may have been but a long forgotten memory. Things remembered when one is asleep. Things forgotten when one is awake. Where the deepest layers of memories become the outmost layers of one's dreams. Which are reality? Which are illusions? Or perhaps they are, at the same time, both truth and fiction. A vast nebulous with no boundaries. An emptiness equivalent to my own existence. I dreamt such a dream. A long, never-ending, dream. - Fei Fong Wong

#39 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 16:26

I played TLJ the first time when I stumbled upon the Game of the Year Edition of Dreamfall at the store. Bought it on a whim. Fell totally head over heels in love with both games. 

I honestly don't know if I could pick a favorite. I liked the traditional adventure game format of TLJ better. The quirky humor, and April's story was so unlike any other game I'd played. But I think I was just at the perfect place in my life to play Dreamfall so I didn't have some of the issues that other people had with it. 

I mean, I generally dislike it when I play a game or read a book and then the sequel is told from the perspective of a different character, so I really wanted to hate Dreamfall once I realized that was what was going to go on, but I just couldn't. I connected with Zoe as much as I connected with April. I was in college when I played the games and was going through some identity crisis/depression/"what am I doing with my life" issues, so I enjoyed seeing some of those issues in Zoe. Not to say that April didn't have some of those issues, too. They both did. So it was cool to see myself in both characters. And I hated the forced stealth and the forced combat, but by that point I was so invested in the game that I didn't even care.

I also sometimes feel like I'm one of the only people who actually really liked Dreamfall!April. I thought that given what she had been through, the character was beautifully done. And I related to her dark side...to her outbursts and her existential crisis and her attitude and her self destructive streak and all of that. I get how the shift to that took some people by surprise, but all of her darker aspects seemed to me to be things that we had seen shades of in her personality before... they just weren't running the show. Or maybe that was me projecting because again...having gone through depression and different issues like that and seeing some similar shifts in my own personality when I was going through very dark patches it just... It was good for me to see that. And I look forward to eventually seeing how her journey come full circle. 

I guess, honestly, it's impossible for me to pick a favorite. I played the games back to back and I haven't replayed them in so long that the super stark contrasts between them aren't as sharp in my memory. Maybe I'll have a clearer opinion after I go back and replay them, but I'm waiting until closer to the DFC release to do that. 

• DiskJunky and yodagreen3 like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#40 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 16:38

Some times I really think I have no idea how I really feel or think about things, I just have these words that come out that reflect upon fragments of thoughts ,and feelings that all come together like soup in a bowl.
I don't know myself half the time or what the hell I'm doing here, if I have any purpose in life, or what my real strengths are or what I'm doing with my life.I'm not sure if I have a personality or if I reside in some fictitious dream that I have created. I don't have favorites, I don't generally have preferences, it's like I don't even have anything to talk about with other people. It's like my words are expressions on a canvas but only say what others gather from them. It's like we're all just the same paints on canvas as if my personality, sense of self is an illusion. I don't know who to be in this world and right now I'm a nobody in it. I've been improving upon this character I pretend to be but ultimately I'm a noob in this world right now. I don't even think I'd be a somebody if I was one, but just some dream within a dream. I'd be something people dreamt about because reality just feels like a dream anymore. I don't feel real, my opinions don't feel real. Nothing about my life seems real anymore.

I just type and it comes out and I don't know if it's like some dream within a dream, and if everything in my language is just symbolic or metaphorical for something else ,or if I say what I mean... or if I'm just making things up on the fly...

It's like painting for me some times mixing with the colors of my soul and psyche I make something abstract in language , something that I can't be sure if it's literal or not or if I'm just insane or have psychological issues. I can't be sure if I'm being true to myself or even have any real opinions at all. I don't know who I am, where my soul is type of thing.

Maybe we are all the same , maybe I'm just in the imagination of all our dreams, maybe "we" "us" "I" is just an illusion, just a dream. Maybe I don't have a real personality, maybe my thoughts, and ideas are just of dreams. I don't know.

just feel like I'm lost in some one's dream and I'm not even sure it's mine anymore.

Reality isn't real enough or certain enough for me anymore. I don't trust my own eyes, thoughts so much anymore, I don't trust anything necessarily. I feel like I'm going nuts I'm not sure of anything anymore. Is thought , personality expression just a creative act?

Maybe we are all dreaming.

But I relate to your post right now . I'm going through some dark patches right now as a college student. My life isn't going anywhere. I never thought of April Ryan from Dreamfall that way before. I guess I never really thought of how I could relate to April Ryan at this point of my life either from Dreamfall. I was just having dark thoughts to kill myself moments ago.  Not ones I'd act on but yeah they were there. I've been having dark thoughts on and off lately, often. 

Thank you for your post.

• agirlnamedbob and aeonfluxx75 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users