84 replies to this topic

#1 Anouk

Anouk

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 21 March 2014 - 22:25

Which game do you like more TLJ or Dreamfall.

(you have to choose!)

I like TLJ more becouse i realy had the feeling that April is an Student. I love how they design the studenthouse, job place in an Bar, and an hot summer day. It feels so real! and it makes the character stronger and more real.

Dreamfall have not much if this and i have not the feel for Zoë that i have for April..

• yodagreen3 and Ladyofdragons like this

#2 AstralTraveller

AstralTraveller

Arcadia Native

• Forum Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:12

For me, it's easy - TLJ. I like the protagonist (much) better, I prefer the 2D backgrounds, and TLJ is a pureblooded adventure game - while Dreamfall is more of an interactive story with some adventure elements.

It's also fair to mention that the storytelling itself is superior in Dreamfall, though.

• Teller and skadet like this

Too many hands on my time, too many feelings
Too many things on my mind
When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find
When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind

#3 nativeguide

nativeguide

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 22 March 2014 - 14:13

I personally liked TLJ better than Dreamfall. Mostly because of the protagonist, I liked April's personality in TLJ better than Zoe's in Dreamfall. I did not like how April had become so jaded and angry at the world in Dreamfall, that was such a let down for me.

The different characters in TLJ were much more memorable to me than the ones from Dreamfall. Don't get me wrong though I thoroughly enjoyed playing Deamfall, but when it comes to comparing the two, hands down it's TLJ all the way.

Oh also I played TLJ like way back in 2000, so it's kind of like a first love n_n 

#4 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 15:08

Storytelling - goes to Dreamfall. Gameplay - I'll give the nod to TLJ. The protagonists - like them both equally, don't prefer one over the other. Both 2D & 3D are fine with me, but due to the on going advances that are being made in 3D technology I now prefer games that are made in 3D. So for me it is not easy to decide one over the other. But if you insist, I'll go with Dreamfall. You won't see to many choosing Dreamfall over TLJ.

I did not like how April had become so jaded and angry at the world in Dreamfall, that was such a let down for me.

Actually, while it was sad to see April in that state it didn't suprise me at all considering all that happened to her in TLJ, especially her childhood. When people are betrayed time and again from childhood on it comes as no suprise that they turn out bitter. Remember in TLJ she found it hard to trust people, even her friends. This shows me that deep down she felt very alone and had little self-worth. Remember TLJ ends on a melancholy note... April thought she was choosen to be the Guardian of the Balance, someone unique and special, then the rug was pulled out from under her and from there on it was all downhill.

• Teller, Anouk and aeonfluxx75 like this

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 15:46

Storytelling - goes to Dreamfall. Gameplay - I'll give the nod to TLJ.

I don't see the opposition any more. Probably because I don't want to. Game designers are searching for that ultimate way to merge gameplay and storytelling. Players are in argument whether that is actually possible, good gameplay AND a good story, neither to the detriment of each other. Yet for many, artful adventure game puzzles are a solution to the problem already, and a good one at that. The Longest Journey wasn't the pinnacle of that amalgamation, but the game at least embraced the principle with pure joy and made a hell of a shot at greatness. It felt as if the story and the gameplay was fun for the designers, just how it is supposed to be.

Dreamfall, none. The few feather light puzzles were right out of the museum of antique adventure game challenges. Instead, fetch quests and cutscenes galore. No creativity in anything interactive, the adventure game elements obviously always just integrated with a sour facial expression, because "they had to". No story could ever save this. I played Dreamfall when it came out and only ever touched it again last year after the Kickstarter. I was pretty content with youtube videos in the meantime, because there was nothing to the gameplay parts. To this day, I'd rather read or watch these parts, a two hour movie much preferred to the eleven hour "game" experience.

TLJ told a rather straightforward narrative. As is the case with good adventure games, it felt player driven, the brain power of the player moved the game forwards. This is a feeling of immersion that will elevate even the most basic of stories, but particularly those with such loving detail as The Longest Journey. If the player doesn't really need his brain power any more - too many things are automated, made less complex or less difficult, controls are streamlined until the player doesn't communicate anything besides "do something with that" to the protagonist, inventory impoverished or removed even - the feeling of immersion in the story plummets. Which just wasn't understood in Dreamfall any more. The story is wanting because it doesn't find a reason for the player to even be there. I find it a failed attempt to 'streamline' the adventure game, and, yes, therewith a waste of a wonderful story.

TLJ I can replay every year, thank you very much. I will possibly never play Dreamfall again. There's a reason why the Chapters Kickstarter promised to retell Dreamfall's story in a more enjoyable, not interactive form.

• skadet, UPtimist, aeonfluxx75 and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#6 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 22 March 2014 - 16:18

TLJ all the way. I'm much more interested in April than Zoe.

TLJ also has much more information about the bigger issues of the balance. Dreamfall hardly adds anything to the big picture.
  • Nancy Brown and Ladyofdragons like this

#7 UPtimist

UPtimist

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 March 2014 - 16:26

I'm pretty much with mr. Väinämöinen.

There were some interesting moments in Dreamfall story-wise (and maybe storytelling-wise, that it wasn't always so (self-)explanatory in obvious) but in the big picture there's just this sort of drifting feeling. Hard to explain (for me, but then again mr. V already did a good job at that).
The Dreamer who dreams, ten trillion miles of dark...
Chrysta Bell - Angel Star

Some of my pictures: 500px, See.Me, Flickr

#8 Miral

Miral

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:15

TLJ, definitely.  While I like the 3D immersion of Dreamfall, it also makes the world feel a little blander because the time and resources have to be spread out over a larger area.  There were some interesting moments in DF, sure (and unlike some others I like the way that April's character changed -- not the character herself so much but her journey seemed plausible after the events of TLJ).  But the gameplay was better integrated in TLJ and the whole experience just seemed richer and less sterile.

One of the things I especially loved about TLJ was that there were lots of little things in the world to interact with and April would comment on each one, and write about things in her diary.  It really helps when trying to get into the head of the character and learn how she views and interacts with the world.  DF had some of that too, but not really enough -- and the focus was split between multiple characters.  It's not impossible to pull that off, and DF made a valiant effort, but I don't think it quite succeeded.

• Teller, Anouk, aeonfluxx75 and 3 others like this

#9 AstralTraveller

AstralTraveller

Arcadia Native

• Forum Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:46

One of the things I especially loved about TLJ was that there were lots of little things in the world to interact with and April would comment on each one, and write about things in her diary.  It really helps when trying to get into the head of the character and learn how she views and interacts with the world.

What he said...

Too many hands on my time, too many feelings
Too many things on my mind
When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find
When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind

#10 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 March 2014 - 17:50

I liked them both for different reasons, but overall I probably liked Dreamfall just a little more.

Things I liked more about TLJ:

- April's humor (though I liked Zoë's also);

- Richer story (though I enjoyed DF's also);

- The wonder of experiencing Marcuria through April's eyes;

- Despite one IMO awful puzzle (Alais temple) and one with a blocking bug (Rubber Ducky), overall more puzzle depth/difficulty.

Things I liked more about DF:

- Visually appealing, especially after playing a pixellated TLJ on a 27" screen (the suggested video setting changes didn't work for me);

- I liked the "action" sequences...they weren't too hard overall but hard enough to require some effort;

- I really enjoyed going back to TLJ locations and seeing the changes (and in nice graphics);

- Okay, I'll admit it:  Zoë is a babe.  :wub:

• Earendiel likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#11 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:20

Dreamfall. Still can't get into TLJ... I just really really hate pixel hunting!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#12 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 07 April 2014 - 15:32

TLJ was great in every way.

But as for me Dreamfall has much more stronger, mature and emotional story which I expect to get from Chapters as well.

blasted be the balance

#13 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 15:53

stronger, mature and emotional story

You see, these are the exact reasons why I prefer TLJ more than DF. It will always be the best game I've ever played. Crossing fingers that TLJ:Home gets even better.

• Teller, skadet and Nancy Brown like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#14 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:08

Both games were great but TLJ stold my heart.

#15 demonofelru

demonofelru

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationThe Colony, TX

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:36

Both games are definitely at the top of my list of best games, but I usually put them together as The Lonest Journey Series, as the 2 stories are part of one larger story. If I HAD to separate them to choose 1, Dreamfall would win. Though TLJ is a fantastic game and April is one of my favorite video game heroines, the story in Dreamfall is much deeper and more emotional and the characters are more three dimensional and believable.

I was dreaming. Perhaps it may have been but a long forgotten memory. Things remembered when one is asleep. Things forgotten when one is awake. Where the deepest layers of memories become the outmost layers of one's dreams. Which are reality? Which are illusions? Or perhaps they are, at the same time, both truth and fiction. A vast nebulous with no boundaries. An emptiness equivalent to my own existence. I dreamt such a dream. A long, never-ending, dream. - Fei Fong Wong

#16 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 22:49

You see, these are the exact reasons why I prefer TLJ more than DF. It will always be the best game I've ever played. Crossing fingers that TLJ:Home gets even better.

Totally agree.

And of course  the protagonist is way better (and the diary is a huge help in getting to really know and like the already likeable April).

Also TLJ didn't need the awesome 3D graphics,the Dreamer's shapely ass or the hunky Apostle to get you immersed in it's world and make so many people fall in love with it and appreciate it for what it is.An adventure game with memorable characters and a beautiful story.

• skadet likes this

#17 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:56

Well, for me TLJ will always be number one.

I have to say, thought, that I think it usually depends a little on the kind of gamer you are. My partner, for instance, is the kind that likes a game to unfold quickly, and doesn't bother checking everything just in case he left something behind, like I do (compulsively). That is why he never could go beyond April's first conversation with Fiona in TLJ. For him it was a TL;DR kind of moment.

I, on the other side, thoroughly enjoy all those long conversations, and I like to examine everything and get all the comments and goodies that a game has to offer, and in this respect TLJ was much richer than Dreamfall.

I love Dreamfall to death, and I have actually played it more times than TLJ, but for the simple reason that it's faster and shorter. With TLJ, I like to take my sweet time - because the game is worth it. Not something you say about a game very often these days.

• skadet, Edreamer Jamil, Anarkigut and 1 other like this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#18 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:17

My partner, for instance, is the kind that likes a game to unfold quickly, and doesn't bother checking everything just in case he left something behind, like I do (compulsively). That is why he never could go beyond April's first conversation with Fiona in TLJ. For him it was a TL;DR kind of moment.

And so for months now, I thought your partner was female.  :blush:

• Silvirish4ever likes this

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#19 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:35

And so for months now, I thought your partner was female.  :blush:

That's what comes from living in this modern day and age. :P

#20 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:50

Indeed...and I got thrown by the word 'partner' which I thought connoted same-sex.

Apparently not always!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users