#1 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:28

One thing everyone agrees on is music in games add soul to them.  The music of TLJ and Dreamfall were appropriate to each and in many cases moving.  (So many feels)

We've already been told a little about what to expect music wise in DFC, but let's discuss what we hope for and what we will hopefully hear. 

Do you want more instrumental or vocal (ala Magnet in DF)?

I personally prefer only instrumental in games and movies, but if the music is done right like DF it works well.

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge music afficiando, so I don't know the technical aspects,  but I know what I like and I have liked all the music in the TLJ saga so far.

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 14:41

D'uh, NOW she's telling me!

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:40

I was very explicitly asking for more TLJ stuff in your Piano Collections thread on the old forums. ;)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7104 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 November 2013 - 19:18

I'd like to see more music that uses voices as instruments. The human voice is a beautiful instrument. I also liked how Rush and Nothing Hurts Now was used in Dreamfall. But overall I like the music in TLJ more.

• Celshui likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4544 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 15 November 2013 - 20:18

I'm a big fan of original music, custom-made - or at least something that feels like it's made especially for that experience. The music in TLJ was such a good fit, and to this day I still think of that game whenever I hear a flute.

Personally, it doesn't really matter much what type of music they'll use (though I must say I love the music in the trailer, I get goosebumps every time), as long as it fits with the feel of the game. That's the only important part for me. If the soundtrack feels forced, the whole game will feel wrong.
I have absolute trust in RTG, though - they've gotten it right twice before, they'll nail it this time as well.

• Kazoo, popcorngal, Thundex and 1 other like this

My Twitter & Instagram & Twitch ... for your viewing pleasure.

#6 Draco Tempus

Draco Tempus

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 16 November 2013 - 00:38

I really liked Dreamfall's approach. An instrumental soundtrack for most of the game, but using a few actual songs (as in songs with words) at a few key points of the story. Generally, I find that songs with words would distract me from the game experience, but in the way they're used for cutscenes in DF, they are really good at creating an atmosphere and conveying emotion.

Also, I'm a huge lover of the pure piano works, Hospital Room and Faith are two of my favourite tracks from any game soundtrack ever.

All that is gold does not glitter

Not all those who wander are lost

The old that is strong does not wither

Deep roots are not touched by the frost

#7 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:52

I'd like to see more music that uses voices as instruments. The human voice is a beautiful instrument. I also liked how Rush and Nothing Hurts Now was used in Dreamfall. But overall I like the music in TLJ more.

Oooh I love a cappella, but yes, it would have to fit right, which I suspect some scenes in arcadia would.

I like listening to the TLJ soundtrack by itself.  I don't listen to the DF soundtrack much but I do listen to the Magnet CD. :)

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7104 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 November 2013 - 15:43

I wonder if they've already chosen a composer for DFC.

I'm pretty sure they said they would release more info about the composer at Journeycon.

April Ryan is my friend,

#9 Shalryma

Shalryma

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:21

Any news on this field?I'm dying to know!

Music is third most important thin to me,when it comes to the game(first two being plot and characters) and both Dreamfall and TLJ have high positions on my top list.
Though I have to admit that I think TLJ score was better,but using Magnet songs in Dreamfall was simply genius.

Though I don't have any particular music in my mind,I deeply hope that there will be music that would give the feeling like The Last Of Us OST does-music so original and so characteristic,that it would remind of any other game ever. :rolleyes:

"I believe that some things are meant to happen.Call it destiny.Call it will of the Goddess.Call it chance.But do not call it concidence."
Kian Alvane,Dreamfall:The Longest Journey

"Every fight we ever seen could've been our last.Every bullet we ever dodged could've been the one.[...]And this time around they're just a little bigger."
Garrus Vakarian,Mass Effect 3

" It is only when you fall that you learn wether you can fly."

Flemeth,Dragon Age 2

"Nothing is lost forever,but some things are better if never found."
Lara Croft,Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light

"Broken people are dangerous.They know they can survive."

Ellie,The Last Of Us

"Man chooses.Slave obeys."
Andrew Ryan,BioShock

"There is always a man,always a lighthouse,always a city."
Elizabeth,BioShock Infinite

#10 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 21:35

Hmm I believe they announced at JourneyCon who is composing music for DFC, or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me (it wouldn't be the first time). Maybe someone who was there can confirm. Unless it's still forbidden to talk about what RTG showed and said there. :unsure:

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#11 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:16

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that to this thread.  I only know 2nd hand info so if anyone was at Journeycon please let us know more.

But the composer will be Simon Poole from Funcom.  Apparently he did the music for the trailer.

Some info can be found in the Journeycon picture thread back on the other forum.

http://www.theundrea...poser#post66724

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger

#12 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:23

Love the DF soundtrack - very good to listen to when I have a lot of work to get through. And just to listen to. Or any time really :)

More!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#13 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:22

Teller is correct, Simon Poole. We heard some previews at Journeycon and it was really great!
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#14 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:37

I'd love to hear it again as well, because I've totally forgotten how it actually sounded, other than dreamy and something you could get lost in. But RTG DID film during Journeycon, so I'm crossing my fingers that the music session will be shared. I think it would be nice filling in a Kickstarter update.

And if I remember correctly, Simon Poole's wife is Ingvild Hasund, who sang Rush. So we might get more of her voice :)

• Teller and Shalryma like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7104 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:42

And if I remember correctly, Simon Poole's wife is Ingvild Hasund, who sang Rush. So we might get more of her voice :)

*nods*

edit: I believe it was her vocals in the trailer music.

April Ryan is my friend,

#16 Constanse

Constanse

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationArendal

Posted 28 January 2014 - 17:10

The music Simon made so far is absolutely amazing. Actually made me almost look as much forward to the OST as the game. Cannot wait to sit down with it, pop a bottle of red and just enjoy. Was my favourite session at the con. I actually teared up a bit at one of the song. <3

• Tina, khh, Ceridwen and 1 other like this

- Tina the OWCUWNCIWC  -

Can I help you? I'm at your cervix!

#17 Rexx

Rexx

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 January 2014 - 00:18

Simon Poole made 2 musics for Dreamfall if I'm right : 

St-Petersburg http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pbZE-4cp8kU

The Factory http://www.youtube.c...h?v=92VIqNjiSdc

Yes the music has to be awesome in this kind of game, especially for a sequel of TLJ and Dreamfall -)

It adds depth and emotion to the game. Music can change a game and the way you see it, and the memories you have from it later. 

I agree that the trailer music is awesome, I hope there will be a lot of memorable tracks like this !  :rolleyes:

#18 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:54

So can we get a new ETA for the Book 1 soundtrack after the first ETA(s) fizzled out?

I'm kind of itching for that, and November 1st obviously wasn't "it"... :mellow:

A second question of importance is whether the Egil Olsen parts are even on that soundtrack - does RTG have the rights to it?

Also, Simon Poole liner notes: very welcome. :lol:

/edit: oops, dug out an old thread. Whatever, it is the correct and oldest one.

• Em_TC and blaster like this

#19 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7104 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:03

Personally I'm still kinda hoping it'll be "first working day after 1st of November". Though that is really just wishful thinking.

I would think Egils songs would be included in some soundtrack at some point at least. I believe he  composed one of those songs specifically for the game, and may compose more for the game for later books.

• Em_TC likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#20 Chadlton

Chadlton

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:40

I just hope we get the track that played near the end of the story recap trailer.... so beautiful! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, DFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users