#1 CharlieBros

CharlieBros

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:03

Guys, I just did an amazing discovery.

First a little history
9 years ago, my brother bought a animated movie called "An eggs movie" (Una pelicula de huevos), a mexican movie that is pretty fun.
Everytime the DVD plays, a warning appears from the mexican distributor Quality Films, and a little animation appears and a quite unique and strange melody plays.

At the moment I didn't care but the melody was quite... strange, out of place I must say.

About less than a year ago, Cryaotic started to play and upload to youtube, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, a fucking awesome game, and because of being the sequel of The Longest Journey, few months later he started to play it in his Twitch channel. I followed it, fine, dandy, buuuuut SURPRISE!

He enters to the MTI building, and stuff happens and ends in this lobby http://goo.gl/uMx7i7 and is THE EXACT SAME MUSIC FROM THE DVD PLAYS ON!!!.

Aparently, Quality Films used the same intro in a DVD of a 1999 movie called "Animal Farm" as this youtube video says (which contains the intro) http://goo.gl/3vugPv
The movie was a made-for-tv in October 1999, so I don't know if the DVD is from 1999, 2000 or a little after, but is still possible that the music of the intro of the DVD came before The Longest Journey, which was launched at November 1999 (here the music: http://goo.gl/YXjqwQ )

So guys, what do you think, Funcom copied Quality Films or viceversa?

TLDR: Quality Films, a mexican movie distributor puts a video intro in his dvds with the exact same music of a scene in "The Longest Journey", they started using it in the DVD of the movie "Animal Farm". The fun thing is that, if they got the rights and distribute the DVD right away, the DVD came 1 month before the game.

#2 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:26

It's probably more likely they just used the same song.  It happens all the time.  Not everything you hear in games,TV, and movies is an original score.  They license it from whoever own the rights, and that way, pretty much anyone can use it as long as they pay for it. 

#3 CharlieBros

CharlieBros

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 18:46

Hum, but then what is the name of the original piece?

#4 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:15

That would be a lot harder to track down.  Maybe Ragnar could enlighten you, if he remembers.  You could try the Dreamfall soundtrack, but those never have every piece of music in a game. 

But just to be clear, are you sure the music is from DF?  I'm only asking because the picture you showed is from TLJ, not DF.

#5 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:07

Animal Farm? Orwell's Animal Farm?

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 17:01

Okay, not much turned up here. It's a 17 second sample that's most likely royalty free music.

We would assume that the cue was first created in 1998 or early 1999 by an unknown composer, then licensed or otherwise lawfully used by both art-house distributor Quality Films and game developer FunCom. There is no reference to the track in the TLJ rolling credits.

The track has been noted as missing from the soundtrack on the wiki and the tlj forums.
http://forums.longes...ng-soundtrack-s

I have sent an info request to FunCom right now;

let's see when if and how they'll answer.

Quality Films S.A. in Mexico is unreachable.

I couldn't find an email address and their website seems to be offline.

I'll adjust the wiki in the meantime. Maybe we can crack one of TLJ's last non narrative mysteries wide open. :P

By the way, there's nothing unusual about this kind of music sample use. I recently stumbled on a reused musical motif arranged in three different games from three different studios and composers – Anachronox, Heroes of Might & Magic IV and Costume Quest 2; unfortunately, the Double Fine devs didn't care to comment on the original source. :mellow:

...aaaaand I just found out this thread's nine months old. Well, nonetheless, I'm on the case. :P :P

• Ringtail and Mr_Russ like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#7 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:47

Yeah. Forget about it. FunCom support has no means to find out where that sample came from ("If you suspect anything illegal is going on..."). This will remain a mystery, I'm afraid.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#8 Mivey

Mivey

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:34

Yeah. Forget about it. FunCom support has no means to find out where that sample came from ("If you suspect anything illegal is going on..."). This will remain a mystery, I'm afraid.

Who was responsible for the music in TLJ? Probably a sound director or something. Maybe ask Ragnar? You could then try to track him down and ask him. In case he doesn't remember any longer, you could persuade him to go for a hypnosis induced psychoanalysis session where you try to decipher his past. 

The truth must come out!

#9 The Rainbow Kin

The Rainbow Kin

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:22

I have a similar experience. I played a game called Journeyman Project: Legacy of TIme in my youth, and in one of the more foresty areas there was this semi-looping ambient sound of some birds singing. (I remember it clearly because I was stuck in that area for some time.) And I keep hearing that very same sound everywhere, in tv-series, movies and games, used as foley or ambience. It's a weird feeling.

#10 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:52

It's probably more likely they just used the same song.  It happens all the time.  Not everything you hear in games,TV, and movies is an original score.  They license it from whoever own the rights, and that way, pretty much anyone can use it as long as they pay for it. 

Yup.

You know the music in Mass Effect's 2 Afterlife? (this one: )

Also on Need For Speed: High Stakes and Need For Speed: Edge.

To be fair, they're all EA games, so I guess they're reusing it because they already have the licensing.

Edit: yeah, I can't spell.

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users