Photo

People who played Dreamfall first... what got you hooked?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bluejeans

bluejeans

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:08

I had no knowledge of TLJ before playing Dreamfall.  I don't even remember how I discovered the game.  Personally, the futuristic setting got me hooked, followed by Mr Tornquists' excellent writing.  It's one of only a few games that had me riveted from beginning to end, and even though I'm useless with puzzles, I was determined to solve them.  That's very rare for me.

• khh and Sha'nie like this

I don't have an E with two dots on top, nor an O, on my keyboard.  Apologies to Mr. Tornquist and Zoe.  :P

#2 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:47

What was it?  I'm not really sure to be honest, it was more the whole package than any one specific thing.I do know that I'm attracted to big, expansive world building.  That was probably one big thing that got me interested.  Excellent writing and great voice acting were big draws as well. 

I played Dreamfall first, but I do have to say that what really got me hooked on TLJ was playing, well, TLJ.  I totally fell in love with the characters, the world, and the concept.  I was totally blown away.  Been hooked ever since.

• khh and Sha'nie like this

#3 sunrose

sunrose

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 17:25

I remember playing this TLJ many years ago, on a little laptop I had. I remember thinking that the graphics were awesome, which it was back then.  :D   I am a huge adventure games fan, the kind of adventures that's more about exploring, solving things and such, and not so much the kinds where there's lots of fighting and things like that.  I think TLJ was the first adventure game I ever played actually. Certainly a good start to adventure gaming.

What got me hooked was the story, and mysteriousness of it. The traveling and the magic got me hooked too, the fact that you got to see many different places and different creatures. And that it was futuristic was a lot of fun too.

Games like that really inspired me to want to develop my own games, which I've slowly gotten into doing throughout the years. :)

Edit: Oh, just noticed that the title said, Dreamfall first. For some reason I didn't register that. :blink:

• chickenjoybokbok likes this

Need Help With Dreamfall Chapters Puzzles? Check Out My Video Tutorials

#4 xdreamer

xdreamer

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 22:48

To be quite honest, I did not enjoy Dreamfall at first glance. I was still young, didn't know what to expect but something wasn't clicking with me. I took me several hours of playing to hit me; it's a story first and video game second. So to answer the question... I got hooked when I realized that video games -Dreamfall- can, instead of being about blowing everything up with rocket launchers (as fun as that is  ;)), tell a remarkable story that may seem like pure scifi-fantasy yet are totally relatable to in almost every way. Not to mention the grade A voice acting, environments, characters, etc.  :P

• Sha'nie and Abbe like this

#5 Sha'nie

Sha'nie

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 April 2015 - 00:53

I started quite late playing games and I started with Myst, which I loved, but was curious if there would be other games I could play and found TLJ.
  I liked the game and found TLJ website read a little in their forum, and found out that there was after Requests that there came a sequel of the game - I think that went a few years after TLJ before I looked for a new game and found one that called Dreamfall, I liked the title and bought it without noticing, there was sub title - The Longest journey - first when I was in time with the game, and right up to Zoe finds the picture of Emma April and Charlie in the closet on
the Border house, it dawned on me that this was the successor of TLJ.

I was captured by the game's atmosphere, music and the characters in both games and fell for the character Zoe and  April which I thought was cute and charming, but Zoe seemed more mature.
  But I do like all the characters in the two first game and in DFC some more than others, and I like very much the two worlds we move around in

But to answer your question in the forum,  what caught me in the DF.
 it's hard to put a label on a single scene, for everything from the very beginning of the Dreamfall has caught my interest.
It was only just the combat scenes, in DF I could have done without,

All 3 games TLJ, DF, DFC are just Amazing 

#6 Jelena

Jelena

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationKosovska Mitrovica, Kosovo/Serbia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 16:23

I also found about Dreamfall before TLJ. I was browsing a game site and saw the Dreamfall poster, so I looked it up on YouTube; I checked the gameplay and trailers. I wasn't expecting anything monumental, but I soon realized how wrong I was about that. The ultimate thing that got me hooked is Zoe. Everything about her (and don't even get me started on how much I ship Zoe + Damien). And, of course, the story itself. Then, when I finished the game, I was desperate to look for a sequel, and since I've played this game long after its release, I soon found about the sequel being in progress. So, while I waited, I replayed Dreamfall a few times, while (by now) being aware of the original story that is TLJ. I'll be honest, I was kind of postponing playing TLJ, and the only reason is because I was only thinking about Zoe and what will happen to her, while in TLJ we have another heroine that I was unfamiliar with. But, I thought that I really should honor Dreamfall by playing TLJ and finding out about the original story, getting familiar with April, so I did, and I don't regret it, I'm glad I did. April was, is and always will be the core of this saga, but still, Zoe is the one for me.

• Indrid Cold likes this

#7 Mime Paradox

Mime Paradox

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 13:07

My first experience with Dreamfall and The Longest Journey came when I bought the Dreamfall Game of the Year edition, which came with a copy of Journey. I'd gotten the two games because I'd heard good things about The Longest Journey, but not knowing anything about either game, I popped in Dreamfall first.  

What got me hooked? I suppose it was just the execution of Zoë's story--she seemed instantly sympathetic in her inability to feel passion about anything. Then came the mystery, which seemed interesting.By the time we got the first April scene in Marcuria--which I had no reason to expect, not knowing anything about the two worlds--I was hooked.

• khh likes this

#8 flashbard

flashbard

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:18

Yep, I started off with Dreamfall too. I was looking for a game with a great story and a friend suggested the series. I absolutely fell in love with the game. The great thing is that it is not absolutely necessary to have played TLJ before Dreamfall, mainly because of the new protagonists. The game ended on a very emotional note(cliff-hanger too) and I felt pretty dead after that, end-of-game blues I guess. Took me a while to get back to normal. 

I was able to connect with the Zoe. The characters were really good, the concepts and ideas, amazing. I loved the whole existence of parallel worlds, science and magic in the balance, dreams, and Crow ofc! :) I went back to play TLJ after this. 

#9 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:32

I did play TLJ first, but I didn't get it then. It wasn't until Dreamfall that I became a fan of the series, replayed TLJ and was able to truly appreciate TLJ.

For Dreamfall, it's absolutely the epic story, art direction and world building that hypnotized me. I still think all those three aspects are of top-tier quality.
I didn't mind the so called "gameplay", since for me I got to watch an amazing film anyway.

#10 flashbard

flashbard

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:50

I didn't mind the so called "gameplay", since for me I got to watch an amazing film anyway.

A film, yes. Story telling in any form is an art. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users