#1 Jedi Leo

Jedi Leo

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationDenmark and A galaxy far away

Posted 08 March 2014 - 17:58

So I'm really looking forward to this one but RTG has been a bit secretive about the details.

I'm kinda imagining a game in the style and vein of the Dark Fall series or Barrow Hill. Both wonderful horror first person adventures.

What do you guys think?

The Lion, flying supersonic, spreading light through the galaxies, Jedi Master, protector of dreams and creator of the Perv On tag

Twitter @JediPrinceLeo

#2 Guran

Guran

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 March 2014 - 18:31

Ragnar has said in interviews that Draugen is inspired by games like Amnesia and Outlast. So I guess it will be like those but from a beautiful Norwegian folklore point of view :)

#3 Guran

Guran

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 March 2014 - 19:00

Speaking of folklore: If you are interested in Draugen I think you will like Year Walk! It's also an unsettling adventure game based on Scandinavian folklore :) I've played the iOS version and absolutely LOVED it! And they've just released a PC/Mac version on Steam with lots of additions and improvements! Homepage here: http://yearwalk.com
  • Edreamer Jamil likes this

#4 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 March 2014 - 19:04

I seem to remember Ragnar having mentioned Gone Home as an inspiration as well, although that's not a scary game. And that people will probably say "it is not a game" about Draugen. 

• pink75 likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#5 Jedi Leo

Jedi Leo

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 19:09

I must look into Amnesia then. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that game. I wonder if Draugen will be more adventure or more survival? Like will it have action and if so how much?

Tina: yes I read that from the great summary you posted about the game. :) I assume he meant that the story style will be unusual like Gone Home was. I for one welcome that. I don't mind different storytelling styles, however I certainly hope it will have more puzzles/meaningful interaction than Gone Home had.

The Lion, flying supersonic, spreading light through the galaxies, Jedi Master, protector of dreams and creator of the Perv On tag

Twitter @JediPrinceLeo

#6 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 March 2014 - 19:15

From the "not a game" comment, I'm thinking that we won't have "more puzzles/meaningful interaction". But we'll see :)

• pink75 likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#7 Jedi Leo

Jedi Leo

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 19:33

From the "not a game" comment, I'm thinking that we won't have "more puzzles/meaningful interaction". But we'll see :)

True that :( I enjoyed both Gone Home and Serena, both had basically no puzzles but I wud miss them in the long run I must say. Also because without puzzles game time is greatly reduced :(

Twitter @JediPrinceLeo

#8 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:36

I seem to remember Ragnar having mentioned Gone Home as an inspiration as well, although that's not a scary game. And that people will probably say "it is not a game" about Draugen. 

Now you have my interest! ;)

I think Ragnar mentioned some literary influences on the game. But I can't remember them off hand other than Norwegian Folklore. Hopefully its more Algernon Blackwood, William Hope Hodgson and (of course) H.P.Lovecraft rather than slasher movies.

Guran: Year Walk looks really interesting. I will check it out sometime. :)

• pink75 likes this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#9 Crow's fan

Crow's fan

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMo i Rana, Norway

Posted 26 March 2014 - 15:33

And so the speculation on every little thing that might possibly have any significance, but probably doesn't starts. Now we know the village is called Graavik. That translates to something like Grey Bay. There are a lot of Norwegian place names and surnames that end in -vik, because there are so many bays in Norway, so that makes sense, but I wonder where graa (or grå) comes in. Something to do with the mist that seems to be present in this tweet: https://twitter.com/...6067713/photo/1 , the newly released screenshot and most of the concept art? 

#10 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:25

Just watched the teaser trailer. No. F-ing. Way. am I playing this game! Which is a compliment really, since they're going for scary. But I, being Wussmeistre #1, cannot play games like this. I'm now going to have to play Katamari for 3 days to get the trailer out of my head! :-D

• Edreamer Jamil, toremygg, Silvirish4ever and 1 other like this

#11 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:27

I agree, if I am to play this, someone will have to hold my hand...

• khh likes this

#12 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:28

I am dreading creating this game... Horror games scare the living sh** out of me, and now I have to do research.... 

If I don't make it, think well of me. And i'd like my beanies to be scattered over the ocean. kthxbye. 

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak and 9 others like this
:cannon:  Cannon stroker   :cannon:
        :crow:  OrNOThologist   :crow:

#13 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:37

I am dreading creating this game... Horror games scare the living sh** out of me, and now I have to do research.... 

If I don't make it, think well of me. And i'd like my beanies to be scattered over the ocean. kthxbye. 

We'll have Tina perform the funeral. Any requests for music? ;)

And yes I can see the influence of the likes of Algernon Blackwood, William Hope Hodgson and (of course) H.P.Lovecraft in that trailer. (I was also thinking the comic Hellboy, in particular the "Island" storyline) The voiceover is especially Lovecraftian. I'm excited for this..... and dreading it at the same time! :P

The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#14 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:40

Just watched the teaser trailer. No. F-ing. Way. am I playing this game! Which is a compliment really, since they're going for scary. But I, being Wussmeistre #1, cannot play games like this.

My sentiments exactly.

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#15 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:52

I can hold your hand while you make this game ;)

(I had to offer that to try to get inside info about the game *Chuckle*)   :rolleyes: 

• trentjaspar likes this

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#16 Crow's fan

Crow's fan

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMo i Rana, Norway

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:19

So the sea will come for you, or at least your beanies, then? :P  :crow:

• toremygg likes this

#17 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1494 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:41

Aww, Martin, and I was hoping your beanies would go to us, devastated fans.

• Edreamer Jamil and TalkingOak like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#18 Jedi Leo

Jedi Leo

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:23

*LOOL* Courage! Thou are the beanie master! Dragons and monsters will fall at the mere sight of your colourful threads haha

And also research in Scandinavian lore is niiiiiice :P Can´t wait to see the results. Trailer already looks so good! :D

Twitter @JediPrinceLeo

#19 Jedi Leo

Jedi Leo

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:25

My sentiments exactly.

I played some horror games like Dark Fall and Darkness Within. If it´s along those veins, it´s not bad at all. It´s more psychological horror than anything else. I hope it´s not like Silent Hill or anything, not because that´s scary but because I find zombies jumping on me a tad distracting while I am playing an adventure game hehe

Twitter @JediPrinceLeo

#20 Jedi Leo

Jedi Leo

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:30

I wanted to add that Draugen looks a LOT like Barrow Hill and generally all Jonathan Boakes games.

Not sure if I am right in assuming this, but the trailer as well as storyline suggests this similarity. I LOVE those games, so if it were along that vein I would undoubtedly also love Draugen :)

Anyone else familiar with Jonathan Boakes horror adventure games? 

http://www.barrow-hill.co.uk

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Twitter @JediPrinceLeo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users