12 replies to this topic

#1 Pielneus

Pielneus

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:11

Hey guys, I'd be grateful if anyone could answer these 2 questions for me:

1) Will my savegames be at all negatively affected if update Dreamfall Chapters to beta 2.0.1?

2) Where is the actual directory for Dreamfall Chapters' save files?

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:15

No, your save games should not be affected.

Save games used to be stored in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters\ but with the release of Book Two the location was changed to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters 

You may have saves in both locations. The storyflags.data is the file that's used to transfer data between books.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:03

Anyone had any issue ? Cause it seems i have lost my saves since that uptade  :megatear:

My first playthrough's saves stop in the middle i think, and my whole second playthrough just gone... i don't know if there is any way i could find them back, i'm worried, if anyone got any tip.

I'll go check the folders you mentioned khh...

*freaking out*

#4 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:49

Do the save show up in the game when you go to load? Or are you just looking in the directory? 

If you have Steam Cloud Saves enabled, you can try launching it and then closing it and launching it again. This should force your saves to sync and restore any missing ones.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#5 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 13:03

I'm afraid it's in game :( i actually can't find directory, i'm confused here.

I'm not sure i know how to use steam cloud either :/ (i do have steam ; edit : i went looking it seems activated, i'll look if i can find anything there)

I don't get it, i'm wondering if i did something wrong but i don't see it, and it's seems i'm the only person on the forum for now, it's weird :/

Oh just realized i think it's since beta 2.0.2 not 2.0.1.

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 March 2015 - 19:20

The saves should be on disk at either in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters (new location) or C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters (old location). The AppData location is hidden, so you may have to type in that part to find it.

If you look at the game in your steam library, launch it, and then exit it you should notice that the game name is set to "Dreamfall Chapters - synching..." - which means that steam should download your saves from the cloud if they've gone missing.

April Ryan is my friend,

#7 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:49

I must be dumb :/ i can't find the location... the only one i can find is via the steam folders, i don't know if there is any saves in there.

I'm not sure i understand where i'm supposed to see "Dreamfall Chapters - synching...".

Anyway, i'm losing hope :(

#8 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:57

When you launch and exit the game, over on the left hand side of your Steam Library where it lists "Dreamfall Chapters" is where you'll see the "syncing" line. It only pops up for a couple of seconds, so it's easy to miss. 

Not sure what to suggest in terms of locating the file folders, unfortunately. What kind of computer are you on? What OS? You should be able to basically copy/paste the location above and just replace <user> with the User Name of your computer. Unless you're on Mac or Linux. 

• Linki likes this

#9 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 13:36

Thanks for you answer.

I don't know maybe there is a confusion because steam is on the "D" disk ?

I don't even find the "appdata" folder, i did see "roaming" though but seems empty, could it be hidden ?

I have PC, widows 7.

Edit  : ahhh when i copy/past it works i don't get it !! lol okay i'll check what i can find there :)

Reedit : ok well i think there is nothing to do :( the "storyflags" file has been modified last on the 13th of march (whereas there were saves until the 17th !!)

I suspect i may have had a problem of connection at some point which would explain that there was no save on the steam cloud and then it got lost i don't know how. Well, i'll just have to replay 15 (or more) hours of game ahah.

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 March 2015 - 14:24

Check the locallow folder as well. 

But at this point there's probably nothing else to do, other than to reply from the last save. It should go quicker this time around. Remember that you can skip dialogue with space if you get to a part you know particularly well, of find tedious. 

• agirlnamedbob and Linki like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#11 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 18:42

It just doesn't make sense, i'm really frustrated about this, i didn't do anything on my computer, never happen with any other game...

Anyway, yes it should go quicker :) thanks for your help guys  :D

#12 KatjaKat

KatjaKat

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 23:39

Hey, I seem to have lost my saved games from my first play through of Book 2 as well. Started a new Book 2 game just now, then stopped because I wanted to start it from my second playthrough of Book 1 with the different career path for Zoe etc. Then I realized there are no saved games for Book 2 anymore except for the one I just opened. Checked both AppData folders and they're not there either. So now I've lost my gut reaction, unspoiled version of Book 2 and can't be sure that I can do it again in the same way. :(

I'm on Steam btw, Win 8.1 pc.

#13 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 23:48

Unfortunately, like we said above, the only real way to restore your saves is if you have Steam cloud sync enabled. Then launching and closing the game (sometimes doing it twice or restarting Steam is required to trigger it) should force Steam to redownload your missing saves.

If something happened and Steam doesn't have your saves backed up due to a glitch on their end or a connection issue (or you don't have cloud sync enabled), and they're not in those folders, they're probably gone. :( Red Thread Games doesn't have any way of restoring your game. You can always check your recycle bin or try other file recovery methods, but I'm not really an expert there. 

I'm really sorry that this happened and I wish I had better news. 

• khh likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Saves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users