• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xjqcf

xjqcf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 19:38

I have this animation bug on a Lenovo Thinkpad EDU Series with an AMD A4-5000 @ 1.5 GHz which has an integrated Radeon HD 8330 graphics GPU. The main ram has been upgraded to 8GB. The OS is Windows 7 Professional 64 bits.

My DFC install is the GOG distributed version and is upgraded with the 2.4.0.6 package (Book 2, as initially released).

The anomalous behavior happens randomly, where the controlled character, once walking or running is initiated, will not stop after releasing the key or mouse buttons (left and right to run).Other actions, sounds continue as normal andit's possible to trigger an interaction (e. g. look, take, activate, etc.) if I was lucky enough to do this. Even so after the interaction the character animation continues. Hitting Esc, then resume does not stop the animation. Hitting Esc, then reloading the last saved game will clear the problem, and playing (approximately, obviously) back to the same location does not trigger the anomaly, but continues to randomly strike.

The last time this anamaly occured I tried the Esc/Load last game procedure, but the the load screen (with the rotating Balance logo at the lower right of the screen) did not complete (Over 2 minutes with no completion) and I had to get back to the Windows desktop and close the tray icon.

This has happened in both Book 2 scens and, most recently, in Book in the first playable location, Storytime.

From the output_log.txt file after the last described incident I have the following excerpts:

Initialize engine version: 4.6.3f1 (4753d8b6ef2b)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1191]
    Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 8330
    Vendor:   ATI
    VRAM:     2225 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1

desktop: 1366x768 60Hz; virtual: 1366x768 at 0,0

The last entries have a flurry of the same message, as follows:

HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename:  Line: 1682)

One related message in the middle of this flurry of the above log entry is:

HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: needs reset, doing it
FullResetD3DDevice
ResetD3DDevice
dev->Reset
D3Dwindow device not lost anymore

A whole bunch of the "still lost" messages follow right to the end of the log file.

Let me know any other information you need.

BTW it would be useful to have timestamps for each log file event if that's possible.

#2 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 March 2015 - 20:19

Do you have the latest drivers installed?

http://support.amd.c...uto-detect-tool

#3 xjqcf

xjqcf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 21:19

Do you have the latest drivers installed?

http://support.amd.c...uto-detect-tool

Just obtained latest using the toll from the link you provided. Problem still occurs.

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:25

The "HandleD3DDeviceLost" messages you're seeing are not a bug/failure of any kind.

These messages will be written while the game is minimized while playing in Fullscreen Mode, as the game will lose the connection to the 3D Device (GPU) while minimized. 

As long as "dev->Reset" and "D3Dwindow device not lost anymore" are reported when alt-tabbing back into the game it will be fine, as this means it has regained the control over the 3D Device.

Would you mind attaching/sending me the full output_log.txt file? That way I can see if there are any other errors occurring.

From what you've described it seems like your keyboard/system never sends the "unpressed" event of a keystroke, so the game interprets it as a key being held down constantly.

This may not be the case though, if it is in fact caused by an error. In that case it might be an issue with damaged/corrupted files.

However, I can't say anything for certain at this point.

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 xjqcf

xjqcf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 15:48

Morten,

Thanks for your response. I have attached the requested log file. Please note this log file is not for the original run I first described, but a second run after doing a driver update suggested by Moohouse upthread. The anomalous behavior was triggered at about the same location (Which should be obvious from the surrounding log events) as previously, but I've also expereienced it in other locations including Book 2.

Attached File  output_log_20150319-1415.txt   76.87KB   1 downloads

• Morten likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DFC, Animation, Bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users