89 replies to this topic

#41 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 17:36

Absolutely cannot wait for Book Three, finally feels like shit is about to go down xD

• Crowboy and Ravenwoods like this

jHevh80.jpg

#42 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 17:40

Absolutely cannot wait for Book Three Two, finally feels like shit is about to go down xD

Fixed it for you :)
And I totally agree

#43 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 18:57

I had steam once installed when I didn't know what it was, to get a game I wanted. It actually was automatically installed from the CD I got without even telling me what it's doing, only saying to play the game, I have to install it. Boy did I regret that.
The software behavior was almost virus like, thinking it's the best f**king software on my pc and behaving accordingly.

This must have been in the early days. It doesn't do that now.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#44 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 18:59

Not sure how much time steam is up, it was about 3-4 years ago.

Regardless it hardly matters given the rest of my post.

#45 ElDoRado1239

ElDoRado1239

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location203km from Přístaviště

Posted 20 March 2015 - 19:03

Steam is a good servant but a bad master.

I do have Steam installed, I have bought quite a few games on Steam - but when possible, I buy them on GOG, DRM free. But I can imagine Steam offers so much more to developers than other platforms right now - PC gaming is very disorganised and Steam is one of those few who make PC gaming similar to console gaming, with all its upsides and downsides.
But it's kind of illogical to talk about this while DFC is being released on GOG too. You have a choice (thanks RTG!).

Also, people should finally realise that Kickstarter doesn't mean "I paid you so I own you now", it's simply "I trust you, here's my money in advance". Angry about something not being exactly as you imagined while backing? Well, bad luck. But maybe you shouldn't be so sad, because, I dunno, the game is released and you will have it? Remember, if the author failed to finish the game, your money would still be gone. Kickstarter is based on goodwill and offers no guarantees, let alone a right to demand things from the author.

Final note - I'm perfectly OK with shorter episodes. When I read the team is made of 10 people, I was almost shocked. The game sure doesn't show it's being made by a rather small team, it just screams nextgen all around... And I do understand you need to sleep and do other "unnecessary" things apart from being glued to your workchairs 24/7. :D

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, khh and 7 others like this

So, wake up, Miss Castillo. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*...

#46 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 19:05

Not sure how much time steam is up, it was about 3-4 years ago.

Regardless it hardly matters given the rest of my post.

I'm not saying you should use it. I'm just saying that's not my experience with Steam.

April Ryan is my friend,

#47 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 19:52

You have a choice (thanks RTG!).

Your choices have consequences, in case you haven't already noticed :P

Also, people should finally realise that Kickstarter doesn't mean "I paid you so I own you now", it's simply "I trust you, here's my money in advance"

This is not entirely accurate. Part of kickstarter business model, you can contribute more money for higher reward tier, that includes all kinds of extras. It's not just buying the game in advance, sometimes it's a peak into production process, sometimes it's extras and collectibles, and sometimes it's early access and privileges not gained by others. So you're not always just paying for the game in advance.

• Vostrino likes this

#48 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 20:15

Your choices have consequences, in case you haven't already noticed :P

This is not entirely accurate. Part of kickstarter business model, you can contribute more money for higher reward tier, that includes all kinds of extras. It's not just buying the game in advance, sometimes it's a peak into production process, sometimes it's extras and collectibles, and sometimes it's early access and privileges not gained by others. So you're not always just paying for the game in advance.

This is true, but kickstarter makes no promises about what services those will be available on. Just that those perks will be available.

• TalkingOak likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#49 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 20:27

Just that those perks will be available.

Kickstarter doesn't even promise that.

#50 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 20:30

Kickstarter doesn't even promise that.

Well, no. But that part RTG did promise (and have delivered on). 

• TalkingOak, Mr Moo and Crowboy like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#51 Jito463

Jito463

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNebraska, US of A

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:16

I'm not saying you should use it. I'm just saying that's not my experience with Steam.

Nor mine.  I've used Steam since it was nothing more than a server browser/in-game IM system for CS (circa 02/03?).  Not the greatest store in my opinion, but no real issues with the library management.  Still, to each their own.  Nevertheless, while I can understand personal preference in these matters, I'll never understand the vehement anger towards the Steam service (not directed at CrowBoy, just in general).

#52 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:18

Okay, sorry, strange request from me, but could we maybe talk a little less about Steam and more about that awesome Christer art?

• wandrew, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 4 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#53 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:24

Don't leave out MrGrav and Mulm, but yes. ^ Seconded.

(I was actually glad to hear Ragnar say that MrGrav/Christoffer had recently done some redesign stuff with the character, because that was my guess, but then I was second guessing myself.) 

Also, if new character shows up in Book 3, I hope that means the narrative peak in Book 3 will involve finally confirming what's up with the steam machines and we're all correct in a lot of our assumptions about how they related to dreams and what's going on in Stark. THIS IS BIG NEWS PEOPLE.

• Vainamoinen, khh and Mr Moo like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#54 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:27

If Friedman deals it straight, we may have a chance to still make sense of this mess. ;)

I do wonder if there's more year old Christer art coming up. He could have redesigned e.g. the Prophet in the early stages of Chapters.

• wandrew, agirlnamedbob, spyked and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#55 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:31

There's something I've been wondering: Are the people working on DFC particularly talented so that RTG have been lucky to pick them up? I couldn't art or compose to save my life so it's hard to judge, but I have been blown away by the quality of ... everything really. The drawings and illustrations are beautiful, both the environment and the important models are super high quality and it has one of the best sound tracks I've heard. 

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, Carla and 4 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#56 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:34

Honestly, getting to see peeks of concept art and so such is one of my favorite parts of following a Kickstarter like this. Especially now that we know some of the different artists involved. It's really cool to see how they collaborate and how a character evolves from rough concept to rigged, moving, animated 3D model. 

...Yes, the full art book may be one of the things I'm most excited to get as part of my KS stuff. So sue me. 

• Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak, Vainamoinen and 4 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#57 ElDoRado1239

ElDoRado1239

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location203km from Přístaviště

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:35

I'll just leave this here :

>Steam machines are part of an evil plot
>Steam machines are evil
>Steam is evil

... :D

And Crowboy, I didn't exactly mean that it's all about paying for the game in advance - maybe I didn't say it right. My point was, Kickstarter actually doesn't promise anything. It tries to fend off mere thieves who would make fake campaigns and run away with the money. But other than that, it's basically a "donation+". That's what I originally meant to say. So noone can really demand anything. People should read what Kickstarter is about first, before complaining like some of them do. If they are not happy with the result, they should be more careful about who they donate money to.

Now I'm left to wonder what will happen to Zoe because I chose GOG... 

• agirlnamedbob, khh, spyked and 3 others like this

So, wake up, Miss Castillo. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*...

#58 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:39

Honestly, getting to see peeks of concept art and so such is one of my favorite parts of following a Kickstarter like this. Especially now that we know some of the different artists involved. It's really cool to see how they collaborate and how a character evolves from rough concept to rigged, moving, animated 3D model. 

...Yes, the full art book may be one of the things I'm most excited to get as part of my KS stuff. So sue me. 

Nope, you're right. Had I known what quality that art would have, maybe I would have even considered the respective tier for a physical art book (no, I wouldn't. I don't have that money). And that feeling was quite universal. I've seen one die hard critic of all RTG proceedings who went completely silent as soon as soon as he got that Book One art PDF. It's... incredible, just incredible.

Don't leave out MrGrav and Mulm, but yes. ^ Seconded.

And still you're forgetting at least one, quite illustrious name there. ;)

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Dreamincolours and 1 other like this

#59 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 14:32

Subsequent books will be shorter in playtime. Producing 6+ hours on a regular basis isn't sustainable, both from a development and testing point of view. We didn't get nearly enough testing done with Book Two. We got lucky in that there are relatively few serious bugs, but there are also a number of cosmetic issues that we would have preferred — but didn't have time — to fix. We also can't keep pushing the team as hard as we've done the last two months. People will burn out.

In addition, the story changes with Book Three, getting more focused and dramatic. In terms of pacing, it will benefit us to have shorter episodes. Players were allowed to meander in the first two episodes; this won't be as easy in subsequent instalments. Things are heating up!

Ragnar, while this is totally understandable and suits your vision of the game, we were given a lot of bone with the first two Books. While story hasn't progressed as much as we would like, that beautiful exploration of both Stark and Arcadia was a dream come true. Would you hate working on something similar that's set in TLJ world ever again? While I am interested in the story heavily, I sometimes just play to be in Stark or Arcadia. They are both such beautiful places that feel like they deserve more areas explored. More sections of Marcuria, different parts of Arcadia or different cities in Stark. I get that you have little men power and you also have another project lined up but while briefly, Dreamfall had so many more scenes to visit. It seems like Chapters is being more focused in couple of limited areas. This, as a fan, make me hunger for more. I guess I will have to make do with what we have and my imagination. But I also hope that you will come back to this world to tell more stories soon. I would be up for Kickstarter funding if necessary.

• Oktalist likes this

#60 Oktalist

Oktalist

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 March 2015 - 15:26

While I am interested in the story heavily, I sometimes just play to be in Stark or Arcadia. They are both such beautiful places that feel like they deserve more areas explored. More sections of Marcuria, different parts of Arcadia or different cities in Stark.

Right. There are more stories that could be told using many of the same assets. Conceptualising new characters and environments is great, but there is still life in the existing ones, and reusing them would be a good way to get the most value out of RTG's investments to date. DLC, or what would've been called an expansion pack in the pre-downloads era.

On the other hand, tell the stories you want to tell, not the ones we want you to tell.
  • Ravenwoods likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, update, concept art, kickstarter, kickstarter update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users