#21 Sha'nie

Sha'nie

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 March 2015 - 22:25

You have to open the settings page by right clicking on DFC and change to the beta updates.

But that's only if you really want to have it now. If you are unsure just do nothing and wait for the patch to come to the regular update channel.

Ok thanks that help me  a lot because i dont want to replay book 2 I only play throug the game ones /book 1 and 2 and dident wanted to replay it so I'm just wating - thanks again  

#22 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 19 March 2015 - 23:19

I see what you did there. So now we know the reason why steam received an F for customer support, nobody would tell anyone how it works :P

#23 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:29

I'm just kind of confused about the rest being smaller, how much smaller are we talking here? That's the only part that scared me a bit. Hopefully this doesn't mean, like, half the playtime of Book Two or something...?
Or does that mean just more action in fewer locations? That wouldn't bother me at all.

Well, think about it in relation to TLJ and Dreamfall - the latter chapters in both are shorter, as the story speeds up and the games roll toward their conclusion.  I suspect it'll be the same thing with Chapters.

• khh, bongboy and OptoNick like this

#24 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:59

Christer Sveen, Dreamfall alumni.

I thought that he more or less left after RTG got their own extremely capable character designers on board, mulmbot and Mrgrav. This here looks like his work though — he even has Falk Friedman's hands. ;)

Correct. Christer Sveen did the original design for Ferdows, more than a year ago. Christoffer Grav did a slight redesign a month ago, and the character is wrapping up production soon, before getting rigged (i.e. connected to a skeleton) and animated. We will share some screens from the game when the time comes.

Christer left the project (and his position as art director) after Book One; he doesn't work for Red Thread Games. For Book Two, Christoffer and Rikke shared art direction duties, since they've both contributed a lot to the look and feel of the game and the characters.

Dreamfall still has Christer Sveen's legacy, of course, but it's passed into new — and extremely capable and passionate — hands.

• wandrew, Tina, Edreamer Jamil and 7 others like this

#25 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:02

That update 2.01 cant find it on steam or is it allready updated in game on steam ( yah i know i'm data retarded sorry)  last time we had an on steam update it started an update when i started the game but this time nothing happent.  :P

Yes, oops, I thought Morten had included instructions in his beta thread. He hadn't. My mistake.

Still, if you don't have a very good reason for playing 2.0.1 at this point — if your game crashes, for example, or you can't progress — you shouldn't be playing the beta: wait until we release the update into the main branch. Your game will update automatically when that happens.

The beta is definitely special interest only, but we do appreciate people playing it and letting us know if there's something horribly wrong with it!

#26 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:21

Amazing artwork. I hope this new surprise planned, will be available to all early access backers this time and not steam only.

I won't comment on The Surprise — this is more of a general comment on early access.

Unfortunately, there is no way to update the client selectively to non-Steam users. Steam has a good system for using different branches, and we have full control over that. Distributing selective builds on GOG isn't possible for us, and it's not trivial via the Humble Store. This sucks, but without an account/DLC system in-game, it's really hard for us to control who gets what outside of the Steam branches.

That said, we are working on a solution that may work for everyone in terms of selectively adding additional content to the game. More on that if/when it happens.

• bongboy likes this

#27 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:25

I'm just kind of confused about the rest being smaller, how much smaller are we talking here? That's the only part that scared me a bit. Hopefully this doesn't mean, like, half the playtime of Book Two or something…?

Subsequent books will be shorter in playtime. Producing 6+ hours on a regular basis isn't sustainable, both from a development and testing point of view. We didn't get nearly enough testing done with Book Two. We got lucky in that there are relatively few serious bugs, but there are also a number of cosmetic issues that we would have preferred — but didn't have time — to fix. We also can't keep pushing the team as hard as we've done the last two months. People will burn out.

In addition, the story changes with Book Three, getting more focused and dramatic. In terms of pacing, it will benefit us to have shorter episodes. Players were allowed to meander in the first two episodes; this won't be as easy in subsequent instalments. Things are heating up!

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Carla and 8 others like this

#28 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:31

I won't comment on The Surprise — this is more of a general comment on early access.

Unfortunately, there is no way to update the client selectively to non-Steam users. Steam has a good system for using different branches, and we have full control over that. Distributing selective builds on GOG isn't possible for us, and it's not trivial via the Humble Store. This sucks, but without an account/DLC system in-game, it's really hard for us to control who gets what outside of the Steam branches.

That said, we are working on a solution that may work for everyone in terms of selectively adding additional content to the game. More on that if/when it happens.

Well, that completely defeats the point of trying to make up for the loss of early access to the people whom need the surprise the most. We being the people whom do not have early access, even though we paid for it, because we didn't know that in order to have access to early access, and also this surprise, we have to have DRM shoved down our throats. Thanks for, yet again, treating like second class citizens us backers who paid for early access and are not willing to put up with DRM, which you promised we wouldn't have to in the first place. Seriously, Steam is a bad joke that doesn't even have a punchline.

#29 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2734 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:32

In addition, the story changes with Book Three, getting more focused and dramatic. In terms of pacing, it will benefit us to have shorter episodes. Players were allowed to meander in the first two episodes; this won't be as easy in subsequent instalments. Things are heating up!

In Book Three, will be there a few months shift in story?

#30 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:48

I imagine something like releasing a general update with the content locked, and passcodes to unlock it given to certain people. Although that's exploitable, unless each person gets one passcode and the content isn't unlocked unless the game can connect to a server and register the passcode so no one else can use it. Hm...

#31 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:38

Love the design of Ferdows and assuming the name was inspired by an Islamic garden of Paradise. ;)

I feel like he will be in town to check on the pipe installations and turn on the engine. It will be interesting to see him. I love the design of the characters and clothing in this game. Looking forward to it. 

• Pawlo_86 likes this

#32 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2274 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:00

Ferdows looks amazing, can't wait to meet him in-game!

#33 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:10

Subsequent books will be shorter in playtime. Producing 6+ hours on a regular basis isn't sustainable, both from a development and testing point of view. We didn't get nearly enough testing done with Book Two. We got lucky in that there are relatively few serious bugs, but there are also a number of cosmetic issues that we would have preferred — but didn't have time — to fix. We also can't keep pushing the team as hard as we've done the last two months. People will burn out.

While I would've probably still supported RTG to the best of my financial abilities, even if I knew I wouldn't get the early access without steam, I still remember thinking: "Hey, that's so cool, it would be really nice to get things up in advance before everyone start playing, and tempting spoilers/puzzle solutions start to show up", or something of that sort. I even "sold" to others that it's a good idea to pledge higher tiers for that reason.
To be truthful, given the quality of game so far, and exceeding any expectation regarding play time, I hardly feel "cheated out" of a reward, Especially if allowing the early access would've taken time from RTG that would otherwise be invested in the game.

So you won't find me complaining about not getting early access, but be careful promising a surprise to early access backers, without specifically explaining in advance that you have to be steamers to get it as early access.
I still really hope to get that surprise early, regardless what it is, like I said, because it would be cool :)

#34 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 14:12

Well, that completely defeats the point of trying to make up for the loss of early access to the people whom need the surprise the most. We being the people whom do not have early access, even though we paid for it, because we didn't know that in order to have access to early access, and also this surprise, we have to have DRM shoved down our throats. Thanks for, yet again, treating like second class citizens us backers who paid for early access and are not willing to put up with DRM, which you promised we wouldn't have to in the first place. Seriously, Steam is a bad joke that doesn't even have a punchline.

From my post:

"That said, we are working on a solution that may work for everyone in terms of selectively adding additional content to the game. More on that if/when it happens."

I'm getting REALLY tired of your insistence on misreading my posts in this thread and elsewhere, and attacking us for things out of our control.

We're doing our very best to solve this, even when it's obviously not a trivial task. Have we delivered the game DRM free? Yes. Will we continue to deliver it DRM free? Yes. Are most of our players on Steam? Absolutely, yes, and the service is obviously not "a bad joke" to those people. Do we still care about our backers who are not on Steam? HELL YES.

Can I suggest that you actually read my posts and stop acting like a dick? You're getting on my nerves. Thanks.

• wandrew, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 13 others like this

#35 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 14:13

In Book Three, will be there a few months shift in story?

Yep!

• CosmicD and Pawlo_86 like this

#36 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7384 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 20 March 2015 - 14:26

Presenting Ferdows, the first non-military, non-priestess Azadi we've met in the series:

64b471a5d3b7f9488e2cc0043768ce4b_origina

That desgin is so Steampunk it hurts and I love it! :wub: Something tells me Ferdows will be the breakout character of Book 3 (Like Shitbot in Book 1 and Enu in book 2) :)

• Abbe likes this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#37 Gregory of Tours

Gregory of Tours

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEuropean Union

Posted 20 March 2015 - 14:39

Great artwork! He looks like a fellow with some interesting stories to tell :)

If you don't mind me asking, but what is with your extreme hatred of Steam?

#38 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 14:55

If you don't mind me asking, but what is with your extreme hatred of Steam?

The person in question exhibits extreme hatred of a LOT of things. He's been warned, and if the behaviour continues, he will be banned. We do NOT tolerate abuse and prejudice on our forum. This is a friendly and positive haven, and I want to keep it that way.

• agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak, Dmm and 4 others like this

#39 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 20 March 2015 - 15:33

I hate hatred :P (francis would say). Well, not the game maybee, but we'll have to see.

I honestly don't get anyone relucatence to use steam. It has been a blessing for me as I'm using it for 11 years now. I want ALL my games on steam because it's just a great central place for them, I remove them if I want and i'm still having the possibility to download them again if I want to play again.

Also steam drm is light, it's not starforce :P

And I even think you could copy the dreamfall chapters game completely out and it would still work, it uses steamworks but not it's CP.

Also, any doom scenario of steam shutting down is to me extrememly paranoid

It's like saying cocacola will be going anywhere soon.

Valve is making money by its market alone, and every developer and their cat are on steam which means constant influx of steam submision fees, and not to mention all the % that steam gets of sales.

Sometimes monopolies are good. But that last one is my personal bias, because I don't want every publisher to start releasing their own platform. I already have battlenet for hots and diablo 3, then there's uplay for watch dogs, and origin for dead space 3. I just honestly wished that they played nice and were all on steam. But again THAT is my personal oppinion. It's not as if you always have to turn these tsr's on. I mostly have only steam active.

#40 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 17:29

I had steam once installed when I didn't know what it was, to get a game I wanted. It actually was automatically installed from the CD I got without even telling me what it's doing, only saying to play the game, I have to install it. Boy did I regret that.
The software behavior was almost virus like, thinking it's the best f**king software on my pc and behaving accordingly.
Also, the need for steam to make my game work is unbelievable. One day they will decide to stop supporting certain old games and they will simply no longer work, just cause valve may want to save on server cost or the likes.
steam shutting down is paranoid? More than Google Video shutting down its drm servers making all videos uploaded to the service unwatchable, just cause they bought youtube?
Not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying I'm not paying money for a game that has restrictions of any kind.
That's also the reason I didn't buy the new simcity while I'd really like to play it.
I like to use my games whenever and however I like. With or without internet access.
  • Oktalist likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, update, concept art, kickstarter, kickstarter update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users