Photo

Ilusion of choice. The ending of Book Two.

Book two Nela explosion

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#161 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 15:45

Huh, it's called "survival instinct", Ragnar.

Also, it's not my fault if Zoë happens to be a coward in my game!!

Or if Kian "kisses" every woman that comes too close to him.

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, Silvirish4ever and 3 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#162 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:17

Lol, maybe Ragnar thought we would "know" that nothing big (as in death) would happen to Zoe, so there would be no "story-driven" reason to run away.

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#163 Pekka

Pekka

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 April 2015 - 20:28

I actually tried to run away from Nela.

Generally speaking, it is not a very good idea to chase after somebody who's clearly determined to blow herself up, especially if you don't even like her. I also had a very strong feeling (call it intuition) that she wasn't carrying a glow stick. :D

I'm fine with the illusion of choice in adventure games, as long as it doesn't go too far too often. Besides, even in most proper CRPGs the choices are often nothing but illusions. The outcome is usually more or less the same, no matter what players decide to do. Most developers simply lack the resources (time, money etc.) to create truly dynamic video games.

• Speak&Spell likes this

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur."

- Axel Oxenstierna (1583 - 1654)

#164 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:22

Okay, but how truly dynamic should a game be?
Lets say we would have a game that follows diffferent paths from beginning to end and even has side stories which have an effect on the paths too.

Now if you like story driven games, you would like to play the different options until you had them all and maybe then decide for the one you enjoyed most. That makes the replay-ability better. On the other side one may feel stressed or tired about this "force" but then again it's always your own choice. Curiosity usually catches up though.

What do developers want the player to have? The market and it's characters seem to change a lot these days. Pixels are in fashion; simple games with blocks amaze us; stories make us sleepless. It's really amazing...one wonders which currents will survive; how many people will join a new direction...

What do we want from games though? Could we even live with a game that's so diverse that it may take years to explore it. Wouldn't that be like...life?

Maybe it's good that this would be hard to recreate?
  • Silvirish4ever likes this

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#165 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:26

I think Sci-Fi answered this question long ago.

Just look at Startrek's holodecks where one would simply load a story, take the role of the main character, and just play through the book.

I think the reason your choices tire you is because you're aware you're making them, and you have a feeling you might have chosen better.

I say, f**k that. Choose what you think is best, close off notifications if it bothers you too much (Thanks RTG :)) then just sit back and enjoy the ride.

You want to choose differently? No problem you can always replay the game.

Only problem with that, is the lack of profiles in the save system, something which RTG are currently investigating/secretly developing, so I hope it will be resolved soon.

Personally, I'm just doing one playthrough until all books are out, then once I complete the game, I know I can replay and shape my characters however I want them to.

#166 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:41

What do we want from games though? Could we even live with a game that's so diverse that it may take years to explore it. Wouldn't that be like...life?

Maybe it's good that this would be hard to recreate?

Nicely written. And ergh, so true. There are some games now out there that have invested so much into this new trend, resulting in eternal gameplays that no normal person with a job or studies (not to mention a family or a busy social life) could ever hope to finish. I find this so overwhelming, it tires me out just thinking about it. I'm fine with a moderate number of choices, but for God's sakes, gimme closure at some point. Otherwise it's just a waste of time - and a waste of real life, too!

Personally, I'm just doing one playthrough until all books are out, then once I complete the game, I know I can replay and shape my characters however I want them to.

Hehe, this was my plan too, but after playing the second book, I could not resist trying new paths, just to see new parts of the story and dialogues. Can't help it, I want moar!! (And I get the feeling that, as new books come out, this feeling will get even more intense... What will become of me!)

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#167 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:24

Hehe, this was my plan too, but after playing the second book, I could not resist trying new paths, just to see new parts of the story and dialogues. Can't help it, I want moar!! (And I get the feeling that, as new books come out, this feeling will get even more intense... What will become of me!)

It's not hard to resist, when you have a family and a busy social life :P

#168 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:28

Haha. You caught me :D Still, fortunately (or UNfortunately?), this game doesn't take a lifetime to complete, no matter how many choices you wanna revisit. In fact, it takes... About a day. Two with a busy social life :P

• Crowboy likes this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#169 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:29

They don't sell those where I live.

• Silvirish4ever, Crowboy and Abnoxious like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#170 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:21

Haha. You caught me :D Still, fortunately (or UNfortunately?), this game book doesn't take a lifetime to complete, no matter how many choices you wanna revisit. In fact, it takes... About a day. Two with a busy social life :P

Fixed it for you :)

I assume the full game would be at least 10 hours of playtime start to end. without explorations, that is...

#171 Puggity

Puggity

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:06

I ran, calling after her once, until the EYEs raised their weapons and it became clear I would not be able to stop her. I then veered right to seek cover behind a vehicle.

I then googled to see if there was a choice after all. <_<

There could have been two cutscenes, one with Zoe running toward the explosion and one with her running away from it but still being caught in the blast. It wouldn't have really helped edge cases like mine, but it would have been something.

Or the explosion could have happened in-gameplay, if the engine allows for it, then a flash of white and the cutscene of her being dragged. But what if you were facing away from it and didn't see the explosion? I That would be confusing.

I guess the takeaway is it's a tricky problem.

#172 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:45

You realize there are two cut scenes now?
  • Crowboy, Bruno and Puggity like this

#173 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:46

There could have been two cutscenes, one with Zoe running toward the explosion and one with her running away from it but still being caught in the blast.

There are now, if you install the latest patch :)

Edit: ninjas, ninjas everywhere!...
  • Crowboy likes this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#174 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:03

Ooooooo... ©

I'll have to replay that bit then. Thanks for mentioning this.

• khh and Bruno like this

#175 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:16

Ooooooo... ©

I'll have to replay that bit then. Thanks for mentioning this.

Note that your "choice" should have some minor consequences, according to Ragnar... so choose wisely ;)

#176 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:15

You know, personally, I find the whole idea of putting so many of them bloody "choices" in the game rather dubious. I don't remember half of those I made already, and with so much time between the episodes, I'm pretty sure most people must be having problem remembering theirs as well...

unless...

there isn't a "tracker" or smthng for that in the game, is there? If there is I'm making a major dumbfuck out of myself right now. :ph34r:

Regardless, thankfully there are these forums here, in which every little bit of stuff happening in the game gets researched and discussed it seems. Yay! :D

#177 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:27

If by that you mean an in-game place where you can easily track all the choices you did so far, no there isn't. Though at the end of each book you do get a summary of the main choices you did (it does not list every single individual one, though).

The game does track them, of course, and stores them in the Storyflags file, but you would need to know how to read and understand the file to check them, which I am guessing is not exactly what you were referring to.

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#178 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:31

should have some minor consequences, according to Ragnar...

I don't remember Ragnar ever said the word "minor". Did he?

You know, personally, I find the whole idea of putting so many of them bloody "choices" in the game rather dubious. I don't remember half of those I made already, and with so much time between the episodes, I'm pretty sure most people must be having problem remembering theirs as well...

unless...

there isn't a "tracker" or smthng for that in the game, is there? If there is I'm making a major dumbfuck out of myself right now. :ph34r:

Regardless, thankfully there are these forums here, in which every little bit of stuff happening in the game gets researched and discussed it seems. Yay! :D

iirc, RTG wanted to do a recap at the beginning of each new episode. They didn't have time to complete it though. 

A workaround would be to replay the last save game before starting a new book, and then you'll see the list of choices you made.

#179 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:33

If by that you mean an in-game place where you can easily track all the choices you did so far, no there isn't.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

And of course I've seen the "recaps" and understand that the game does record everything.

The file, huh? And I assume the way to read that has been... ummm... discovered already? :rolleyes: Interesting...

#180 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 15:16

I don't remember Ragnar ever said the word "minor". Did he?

That's what he said:

As for the consequence to the bombing, they won't be world-changing or story-altering, but your choice will be referenced in Book Three. (Of course, if you didn't replay it with the beta and ran away from the explosion, your choice will remain 'ran towards Nela shouting at her'.)

From the formulation ("referenced to"), I assumed it would have a minor effect. That and the fact that this was not even planned to have a consequence up until a month ago, which probably means it's not going to have a complex effect on the game.

• Tina, khh, Riaise and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book two, Nela, explosion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users