Photo

Ilusion of choice. The ending of Book Two.

Book two Nela explosion

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#141 Faxmachinen

Faxmachinen

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 00:15

I get what you're saying, but it's an adventure game, not a sandbox game. There are choices, yes, but telling a coherent story is still at the core of the game and it'd be impossible for them to code every single choice someone might want to make into the game. 

I'm not asking for infinite options; some of the best choices in the episode were binary ones. As with anything game design, it's hard to get it right. But it's useful to know what didn't work so you can make it better next time.

• Speak&Spell likes this

#142 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:47

You say it's random, but it contains something important and you're supposed to do something with it

I think Ragnar has a thing for mysterious boxes and data cubes you carry around, ending up never knowing what it was. Don't get your hopes up about finding out what this box contains in book 3 :) A rotten sausage, perhaps? 

• Ravenwoods and Abnoxious like this

#143 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:08

Hehe, yeah, in dreamfall the first one you'll never know but there's a second one that was left behind in the sint petersburg wati bunker. We can think of it as a "copy". To have found out about that in the beginning of the game would have been a bit pointless :)

#144 Quatipu

Quatipu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 19:06

I didn't mind the "illusion of choice". It was able to create so much more immersion than a cut scene. The very first moment I was tempted to run away but when "Press shift to run" was displayed and I realized that everything was in slow motion I ran after Nela, because I thought it might just be possible to stop her. When the guards raised their guns, I thought the idea was pretty stupid and I tried to evade to the left.

Had this just been a cut scene, it would have been a "oh well, ok..."

Having said this, I am really IMPRESSED by RTG to include an additional cutscene after the release :-)

• Tina, khh, Mr Moo and 1 other like this

#145 HannibalUltor

HannibalUltor

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:09

I did think about running away from the Nela, but ultimately decided to run toward her. I'm disappointed that there wasn't a different cutscene for the players who ran away. I was also looking forward to a "this many players ran away from Nela" stat. I could see how the following cutscene would be disconcerting. Indeed, I had an equally odd experience. I had followed Nela to her stopping point, and then not wanting to be observed sneaking up on her ran along the perimeter to the other side. As she obviously wasn't going to move any more I approached her from the front; Zoe was then magically whisked behind her ready to run.

• Speak&Spell likes this

#146 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:57

RTG has added a scene for players who run away from Nela in the 2.0.2 patch.

• Ravenwoods likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#147 Moto200

Moto200

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDundee, UK / Lublin, PL

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:29

RTG has added a scene for players who run away from Nela in the 2.0.2 patch.

That's good to hear! I wouldn't expect any developer to go the extra mile to patch in a new cutscene following some players' reaction after launch. So that's a very pleasant surprise. I'm going to have to remember that bit. Originally, I've also run away and got "teleported" close to Nela.

• khh likes this

#148 Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:08

I wish I had had the choice to throw the box at Nela instead of running after her. In the hopes of, you know, hitting over the head and conking her out with whatever was in the box before she could blow herself up.

Yes. My first reaction when I see someone trying to do something extremely idiotic is to want to throw something at them so they'd stop- in this case, it could have saved a life!

Then again, just my luck, that box would probably be full of detonators that trigger when hitting Nela's head and suddenly Propast is rechristened  Glassport.  <_<

• Dmm, Mr_Russ, urzagc13 and 2 others like this

#149 Moto200

Moto200

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDundee, UK / Lublin, PL

Posted 01 April 2015 - 18:15

My first reaction when I see someone trying to do something extremely idiotic is to want to throw something at them so they'd stop

We used to have a teacher in mid school who threw small objects at us.

Now I understand her a lot more.

• Maus Merryjest and Abnoxious like this

#150 Speak&Spell

Speak&Spell

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSoul-land

Posted 01 April 2015 - 18:30

For me running to Nela is in my opinion too daring. Surprised that Zoé did survive. I was very frustrated when I saw Nela with this in mind. A wrong choice. But for the moment in despair I did choose to save Nela. I might be wrong. :(

The second choice, running away, would be a better choice to save Zoé's life. I'm not sure Zoé could survive running straight to Nela's explosion at all. That's after my best consideration about the physics in that extreme explosion scene. We have to be realistic. And we are!

Then the patch fix for a possible escape scene is just great news. And makes episodic gaming even a better choice and more realistic. :)

Always think twice when you hear "news" from unconfirmed sources.

#151 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 18:37

I very much suspect that the ending outcome will still be the same.

This is one of those anchor points.

Zoe needs to enter a Coma of 3 months so the plot can continue.

• Tina likes this

#152 Speak&Spell

Speak&Spell

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSoul-land

Posted 01 April 2015 - 18:41

I would say running to Nela is very near death. And running away from Nela, you might survive.

• Mr Moo likes this

Always think twice when you hear "news" from unconfirmed sources.

#153 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 April 2015 - 19:13

We can't tell without knowing more about the bomb. If it even was a bomb.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#154 msierchio

msierchio

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBerkeley, California,US

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:47

ADDENDUM: We were completely taken aback by the fact that some players didn't follow Nela. It just didn't occur to us that this would happen. Which is why we didn't cover for it. Lesson learned; people are COWARDS.

I think not wanting to be blown up - actually having a mission to complete, you know - isn't cowardice. :-p

• Speak&Spell likes this

#155 Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:52

ADDENDUM: We were completely taken aback by the fact that some players didn't follow Nela. It just didn't occur to us that this would happen. Which is why we didn't cover for it. Lesson learned; people are COWARDS.

I followed Nela- but then again, in real life I probably would have not. Nela looks like a light and agile sprinter, so unless I happened to be wearing the sandals of Hermes himself, there is no way in hell I could catch her in time.

Throwing something at her head, though, still remains a completely valid idea. Between causing some potential brain damage but keeping my friend alive versus them getting blown up...

#156 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:21

I think regardless of what you would've done at that point, Nela is doomed.

Either she blows up, or she ends up in the hands of the eye, which will probably be even worse a fate.

#157 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:20

• You cannot go back to warn Queenie after confirming Baruti's suspicions. While other choices make you choose carefully, this one merely makes you reload.

Fully agree! I did not warn her because I was not sure!

Then, once I got the info I tried several times to go back to Quennie and tell her!

But the girl at the boat was not clickable at all(

I think it is not fair - at least the girl should have told you Quennie is gone!  :unsure:  :angry:

#158 PlutonB

PlutonB

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 April 2015 - 21:11

I was really confused by the scene, since it didn't reflect my choice at all on the first playthrough.

In other parts of the game, it's perfectly fine (and apparently predicted by you) to not act like the foolish hero; to torture and kill people without trials; and so on. 

To first momentarily contemplate what Nela really is doing and then get the h**ll out of there to me seems the most plausible choice of action. Both in general terms and in this specific situation. I was not under the impression that Nela was such an important person for Zoe that she is worth dying for. I may have missed or forgotten some important dialouge where this is hinted.

Great game though, and Kudos for adding the different animation for the really reasonable and logic action.

#159 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2015 - 21:57

Zoe mentions in her diary that Nela is the person who comes closest to being a friend in her new life. Also the non naive parts are all Kians, never Zoes.

#160 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 08 April 2015 - 15:29

Excuse me??

Huh, it's called "survival instinct", Ragnar. 

(Also, "major confusion with direction controls on one's first playthrough".)

Anyway, really? There is a bomb about to blow off, and no one in the team even thinks about running away? You guys are HARD CORE.

• khh, Mr_Russ, Mr Moo and 3 others like this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book two, Nela, explosion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users