Photo

Ilusion of choice. The ending of Book Two.

Book two Nela explosion

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#121 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:26

There is. Ragnar changed it, but how different or what is different doesn't seem to be revealed in this thread.

But people still seem to get teleported, and no one reported any difference so far. Is it not updated yet?

#122 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:27

No one reported being teleported with the beta patch. Just the opposite infect.

The explosion will get you either way. The new cut scene is just more "realistic" for people who run away.
I'd expect the percussion to be just either noting on how lucky one was to life or how unlucky one was to still get hit.
  • Tina likes this

#123 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:30

All I get by running away is that you see nela detonating the bomb and you're just running away from it and then getting blasted.

• Tina likes this

#124 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:30

Ok... I read this comment:

I tried it with the beta, I actually ran back and not towards her and you just see the same ish cut scene but no extra choise. is that normal ? Am I missing something?

And had the impression that nothing's changed... if the explosion looks more realistic (that is, hitting you from the back if you run away), I'm happy ;)

#125 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:31

All I get by running away is that you see nela detonating the bomb and you're just running away from it and then getting blasted.

Well, that sounds exactly as it should! There's no way to avoid getting hurt, but at least you're now running away from it.

• Tina, CosmicD and Mr Moo like this

#126 Faxmachinen

Faxmachinen

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 21:26

To go with the thread title, the ending wasn't the only illusion of choice, but perhaps the most egregious.

The core mechanic of Dreamfall: Chapters is choice and consequence. Most times it works, and it's satisfying when it does. But in other cases, the false dilemmas or outright lack of choice is frustrating. The second episode opens thusly: Join the rebels, or die. Unlike other suicidal decisions you can make during the game, the latter option is straightforward and gets you killed. Game over. But at least the game recognizes your choice, and as such is far less frustrating than when it doesn't:

• You cannot be dishonest about joining the rebel cause. Once you walk out that door, it's straight to happily licking boots and not escaping in unguarded boats.
  • You have to single out someone as a traitor. If you have no idea, then you have to pick some poor sod at random.
  • There's no way to call off the deal with the Mole, even after she admits that she didn't hold up her end. Kian is just fine with being a doormat.
  • You cannot go back to warn Queenie after confirming Baruti's suspicions. While other choices make you choose carefully, this one merely makes you reload.

• Speak&Spell, Nancy Brown and Tomer like this

#127 Jamie

Jamie

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 21:30

Hi all. I made the "choice" to chasing Nela. I played the first beta. The thing is: I tried to ran to her, in cause of the hint "press L Shift" or something. Why I had to use the keys? Would I be able to stop Nela?

My cursor was a small circle - I thought about an interaction like stopping Nela or catch her explosive stuff. But I was too far away from her. The slowmotion indicated somewhat, but what? Slowmo for a cutscene: okay. Slowmo with decision indicates just the following: you have more time to stop what will happening.

Please RTG, answer this questions, I found nowhere an adequate explanation :|

#128 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 21:36

Most times it works, and it's satisfying when it does. But in other cases, the false dilemmas or outright lack of choice is frustrating. 

I get what you're saying, but it's an adventure game, not a sandbox game. There are choices, yes, but telling a coherent story is still at the core of the game and it'd be impossible for them to code every single choice someone might want to make into the game. 

Hi all. I made the "choice" to chasing Nela. I played the first beta. The thing is: I tried to ran to her, in cause of the hint "press L Shift" or something. Why I had to use the keys? Would I be able to stop Nela?

My cursor was a small circle - I thought about an interaction like stopping Nela or catch her explosive stuff. But I was too far away from her. The slowmotion indicated somewhat, but what? Slowmo for a cutscene: okay. Slowmo with decision indicates just the following: you have more time to stop what will happening.

Please RTG, answer this questions, I found nowhere an adequate explanation :|

You can't stop her. There is no way to do that. I believe you can press "F" to focus on here (that's a notification that pops up almost any time something is going on to allow you to quickly focus the camera to where the action is) and there should be an option to shout "NELA!" as Zoe runs, but you can't actually do anything. Your only options are to either run after her or run away. 

• Bruno and Ravenwoods like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#129 Abnoxious

Abnoxious

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFofation, Lolation, Monation. LOCATION!

Posted 23 March 2015 - 21:43

Was anyone able to throw the box toward Nela perhaps? Just a thought, because I remember the interact circle showing but nothing else can be done?

just a forum ghost

#130 Jamie

Jamie

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 21:50

Jap this is exactly what I mean. The "F" Key was to follow her, I know. But just before Nela arrives and the explosion starts, in the right corner pops up: press L Shift. Somewhat with "shift".

#131 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 21:54

• Riaise, whittard_mt and debro like this

#132 Idinyphe

Idinyphe

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:00

I have to say I am surprised. I would never have thought about the option to make this a decision with (not even with small) consequences.

I have to say I am impressed!

I am a coward, and I approve this message... :)

• khh, Riaise and Tomer like this

Unfortunately that's the story of revenge. It's messy. Never really works out the way you want it to.

#133 Jamie

Jamie

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:01

I stand on the sidewalk, watching Nela going to do what she might do. The L Shift-thing happens when the explosion starts and the whitening becomes more and more. It reminds me on the longest journey, when you have to fight and have to press keys to survive. 
This was not an imagination. Maybe this is a bug or I'm on the wrong time or on the wrong place...

#134 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:14

Yeah, I'm not sure about the shift key thing. I'd have to boot the game back up and take a look. Can anyone else confirm what's up with that?

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#135 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:18

Was anyone able to throw the box toward Nela perhaps? Just a thought, because I remember the interact circle showing but nothing else can be done?

A pretty random thing to do, isnt it? But yeah... who knows... maybe she faints and dies from the box instead ;)

About the shift thing: yeah, the game prompts you to run. That's it...

#136 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:19

A pretty random thing to do, isnt it? But yeah... who knows... maybe she faints and dies from the box instead ;)

About the shift thing: yeah, the game prompts you to run. That's it...
  • agirlnamedbob and Mr Moo like this

#137 Beyond Yonder

Beyond Yonder

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:38

You can't do anything with the box.

#138 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:39

I've attached an image where you can see the "left shift to run" prompt. It doesn't mean anything, other than giving you a sense of urgency. You can't catch Nela whether you run or not.

I've been using the mouse to run, though, so when the prompt appeared I went "shift, what does that mean?", before thinking "oh, RUN!". Which in my head translated as "run away". So, yeah, I'm a coward. But I already knew that. :P

Attached Files

#139 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:40

I really wonder how it's all going to pan out, if it's even relevant after book 3 starts that you have that box, that you hve to search for it, or .. if we can even speak about a linear continuum at this point :)

#140 Abnoxious

Abnoxious

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFofation, Lolation, Monation. LOCATION!

Posted 23 March 2015 - 23:40

You say it's random, but it contains something important and you're supposed to do something with it, I wondered if maybe it could be an act of betraying or honouring her wishes if you destroyed it with her or not. May have been an unobvious extra choice, but obviously people saying you can't do anything with it are confirming this as impossible. 

just a forum ghost

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book two, Nela, explosion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users