Photo

Ilusion of choice. The ending of Book Two.

Book two Nela explosion

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#81 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 21:39

Trouble is, there's currently one cutscene, and making another optional cutscene isn't cheap. I would rather want more content (or better rested developers) for book 3-5 than a fix for this, to be honest.

This may be a thing of perspective. Zoë is young and fit and capable of catching sombody that is young and fit. For me at my age there is no way that I could catch Nela so I did run into the other direction.

From my point of view the scene is OK as it is.

This is interesting. I wonder if the demographic of those who ran away is different than for those who ran after her. :)

• popcorngal, khh and Idinyphe like this

#82 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2015 - 21:48

I didn't even realize that Nela had some sort of explosive. I thought she was trying to commit suicide by cop and of course I had to try to stop her doing this.
  • GistOfSpirit, Mr Moo and Ravenwoods like this

#83 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:19

Ahhh, I see. I had no idea the game actually prompts you to run. I use the controller and nothing tells me to do anything. I just imagined I might like to try to move. But if there's a keyboard prompt then yeah it would feel more incongruous.

It also has the F focus on Nela thing, which tells you that you should be looking at Nela. Which tells you that you should run after her.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#84 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:33

What are the odds RTG could do something about this? I ran towards Nela, and it was a very powerful moment. But i can imagine how ridiculous it looks like when running away from her. I wonder whether, and how, RTG will take care of that.

We took care of it.

If you play the new beta branch on Steam (2.0.1) there is now a SECOND cut-scene that happens if you turn around and run away.

Oh, and we record your choice.

It will have repercussions.

(Unfortunately, you do have to replay the ending for this to kick in; fortunately, you only have to load the last save game and play for a minute.)

ADDENDUM: We were completely taken aback by the fact that some players didn't follow Nela. It just didn't occur to us that this would happen. Which is why we didn't cover for it. Lesson learned; people are COWARDS.

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, khh and 21 others like this

#85 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:37

It's so funny to hear how people act differently on that moment. I didn't have even a second's thought of running away. I bet I would in real life, but in the game, I don't recall having the slightest thought of doing anything other than running after Nela (worse case scenario, you load the game, right? :) ).

Same thing here. As I already said, I behaved exactly as I was "supposed" to: ran straight towards Nela and shouted at her a few times as well for good measure. But I also nearly had a heart attack in every scene in The Longest Journey when the "danger" track played even though I knew nothing would happen and I could stay there for all eternity.

Ahhh, I see. I had no idea the game actually prompts you to run. I use the controller and nothing tells me to do anything. I just imagined I might like to try to move. But if there's a keyboard prompt then yeah it would feel more incongruous.

Yes, it reminds you how you "run" (like a tutorial prompt) giving you the (false) impression that your "speed" is important in this scene,  which is actually a brilliant idea, I think.

This is interesting. I wonder if the demographic of those who ran away is different than for those who ran after her. :)

From those that posted here, I found that it a lot of people who actually live in more "dangerous" areas (where something like this has actually happened) instinctively fled. This "pattern" fits me as well, since I've never seen any short of violence -ever- from up close. So, the "idealists" tend to chase Nela more.

EDIT: Ragnar, you did what?!   :o  Unless you're joking, I'm incredibly impressed!! (and even if you're joking, it's still appreciated, lol)

• NeilClaimer and DollyDagger like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#86 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:40

ADDENDUM: We were completely taken aback by the fact that some players didn't follow Nela. It just didn't occur to us that this would happen. Which is why we didn't cover for it. Lesson learned; people are COWARDS.

Wow. With that being the case, then color me SERIOUSLY impressed that you took the time to add a second cut scene and work that in.  :blink: *slow clap*

• khh, CosmicD, NeilClaimer and 1 other like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#87 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:42

We took care of it.

If you play the new beta branch on Steam (2.0.1) there is now a SECOND cut-scene that happens if you turn around and run away.

(Unfortunately, you do have to replay the ending for this to kick in; fortunately, you only have to load the last save game and play for a minute.)

That is awesomely awesome. Now I must try to chicken out! :D

From those that posted here, I found that it a lot of people who actually live in more "dangerous" areas (where something like this has actually happened) instinctively fled. This "pattern" fits me as well, since I've never seen any short of violence -ever- from up close. So, the "idealists" tend to chase Nela more.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit, it's only logical. Age, as well, may kick in here. I find this really interesting, and researching these kind of scenarios could easily(?) have been my day job! :D

• khh likes this

#88 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:48

We took care of it.

OMG, seriously? You guys are fantastic!
  • khh, NeilClaimer, Bruno and 1 other like this

#89 Stormwhisper

Stormwhisper

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:51

So happy about how this came out here and was actually taken care of, really many thaks for how you've taken care of your game and your affectionated players, a part of them could be seen as cowards, but maybe it's because they got to love your main characters so much they relly care they won't get hurt. And by reading the reference someone made between Kian's explosion and Zoe's its understandable as a consequential choice, I didn't think about it and run after Nela in slowmotion, holding the run button, hoping to reach her and understand what was really going on (have to wait for Book III for that!)

So wow! Just wow again!

• Speak&Spell likes this

#90 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:52

We took care of it.

:o I totally didn't expect this, you guys are amazing. Initially I thought "I got to try this" but then I remembered that I've decided to stick with my choices for now, and I would have run for Nela anyway.

I'm especially surprised that there's repercussions. Wouldn't that mean changing some of the story later on?

• khh and Mr Moo like this

#91 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:54

I'm especially surprised that there's repercussions. Wouldn't that mean changing some of the story later on?

Yeah, but there probably won't be huge world altering consequences, but rather smaller subtle ones. A game is never completely set in stone until it's shipped.

• agirlnamedbob and Mr Moo like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#92 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:57

I'd view it less as "changing the story" and more as "adding more scenery." 

There are clear core aspects of the story that are locked down and have been for a while, but as the team learns what works and what doesn't, listens to feedback, etc, they're going to get new (and better) ideas of how to best tell the story that they're trying to tell. 

I'd actually say this is one of the benefits of episodic. If the game was already complete, it'd be a lot harder for them to go "Hey, people wanted to take this option, that gives me an idea, let's add this." 

• khh, Quatipu and DollyDagger like this

#93 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 22 March 2015 - 23:00

It's the bin! She gets bonked on the head by a flying bin. Yusss! :sohappy:

• Tina, khh, NeilClaimer and 3 others like this

#94 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 23:06

One way it could affect the future is how the Eye will perceive Zoe when she wakes up, assuming she's still actually in Propast. 

#95 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 00:58

big props for adding the cutscene, RTG team!!

#96 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:12

Wow.  That is above and beyond. Thanks, guys!!

#97 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:19

So, this has been implemented on the open Beta? Has anyone tried it yet?

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#98 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:52

Happy Tree's post seems to indicate yes, unless I'm misreading it. 

• khh likes this

#99 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:55

I'd view it less as "changing the story" and more as "adding more scenery." 

There are clear core aspects of the story that are locked down and have been for a while, but as the team learns what works and what doesn't, listens to feedback, etc, they're going to get new (and better) ideas of how to best tell the story that they're trying to tell. 

I'd actually say this is one of the benefits of episodic. If the game was already complete, it'd be a lot harder for them to go "Hey, people wanted to take this option, that gives me an idea, let's add this." 

The idea that the sausages might give Reza food poisoning and that he'd write an expose was actually thrown around on the forums.  I wonder if red thread picked the idea up from us or if they intended that all along.

#100 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:12

Add a new cutscene because of feedback from players? That's great! Can't wait to play version 2.1!

• Tomer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book two, Nela, explosion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users