Photo

Ilusion of choice. The ending of Book Two.

Book two Nela explosion

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#21 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:01

I didn't know about it - it does sound crappy. A good way would be to still have her hit by the shock wave - only from the back. It doesn't have to lead to a different consequence, but it'd look more realistic, I agree. And it sounds doable.

That would be my preference.  Let my Zoe run away if I think Zoe would run away.  It's not unreasonable to think that she might still get caught in the blast, especially because--in my case, at least--I was slow to respond.

• Mr Moo, Sha'nie and Tomer like this

#22 DollyDagger

DollyDagger

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:02

I'm pretty sure that irl I would probably have run for cover, but in the game it didn't even occur to me that not running after her was an option, I just got caught up in the moment and went with the flow because I had to know what happened next. Even on my second play-through that part still sends my heart shooting up into my throat. Running after her even knowing I won't make it seems like a natural expression of how I feel in that moment!

• khh, Mr Moo and Sha'nie like this

#23 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:14

I don't know about the blast radius of the explosive thingy she holds, but it could be rather huge. If Zoe got shielded by a building far enough away, it could/should be survivable. Location is everything, like the real estate agents are on about. Best location during an explosion is far away, or behind/in something bomb proof. Close and around a corner could still be deadly, but probably better than close and out in the open?

Being close is bad, claims Wikipedia (no images).

• Sha'nie likes this

#24 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:49

I could tell that the game wanted me to run after Nela, so I did. It was a powerful moment. 

• Mr Moo, Sha'nie, DollyDagger and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#25 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:05

See...I actually did the opposite immediately and I'm a little ashamed. Like...I KNEW the explosion was coming before she even pulled it out and so my immediate knee jerk was "FUCK!" because I was afraid it would be like blowing up the Weapons. I took a couple steps away and was like "Wait. Maybe I can catch her!" and so I started trying to run after her instead. 

:mellow:

• khh, Mr Moo, Bruno and 2 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#26 Broken Thought

Broken Thought

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:34

I hit the run button but she didn't appear to run. I know it was slow-mo but it didn't look like a run animation. So I assumed I was doing it wrong and turned around the other way.

Shock wave idea seems like a good idea to me. Though that doesn't seem like something they would put in after release. I don't know RTG, might surprise us (or me at least).

My big question is; What was in the box? I pretty sure it won't be in your possession when you wake up. I wonder if there was a choice in that somewhere. I looked at it and don't think you could open it. I wonder if there is a way to drop it off somewhere before the explosion. Maybe there was some sort of hidden choice.

• Sha'nie likes this

#27 ElDoRado1239

ElDoRado1239

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location203km from Přístaviště

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:01

I hit the run button but she didn't appear to run. I know it was slow-mo but it didn't look like a run animation. So I assumed I was doing it wrong and turned around the other way.

Shock wave idea seems like a good idea to me. Though that doesn't seem like something they would put in after release. I don't know RTG, might surprise us (or me at least).

My big question is; What was in the box? I pretty sure it won't be in your possession when you wake up. I wonder if there was a choice in that somewhere. I looked at it and don't think you could open it. I wonder if there is a way to drop it off somewhere before the explosion. Maybe there was some sort of hidden choice.

Given that all other choices are really well announced by a message, I think this isn't anything you could change. And it will probably be photos/documents/jewelry, which will survive the blast. I wonder who dragged Zoe away, anyone tried to guess by those hands...? Is it Falk Friedman? Kinda looks like him, white shirt covered by suit...

BTW just replayed the scene and found out two things:

First - you can yell at Nela while you run! Didn't know that. Makes much more sense than running without a word.

And second - if you turn The Box so that the indented side is facing the bottom right corner of your screen, you can see inside it though a gap. It's mostly empty! :-O

So, wake up, Miss Castillo. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*...

#28 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:27

I don't know what I would do in real life but in the game I totally behaved as intented, running straight towards Nela without any hesitation and screaming. (Ragnar's writing always manages to have this effect on me, lol, in The Longest Journey when the goons were hitting on April's door and trying to break in after shooting Emma, I was panicked beyond belief that they would break in any moment now, despite KNOWING that there are no timed sequences in the game and they would bang at the door for all eternity if I just stood there).

It seems that Falk picked up Zoe, yes.

About the "Nela" screams, Ragnar said that they have multiple recordings of them but by error they put in only one (so all the yells are identical) and that they'll fix that soon.

As for the bo,x (I said it again that) it gives me David Lynch / Mulholland Drive vibes, which enhances the dream-like quality of the final chapter of Book 2.
  • Mr Moo likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#29 Tamahome

Tamahome

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:47

I ran straight for Nela too, and I agree it was a powerful moment and was somewhat enhanced by player control. But as I stated in the OP, that powerful moment can quickly turn into a silly moment, ''wat, I ran in the opposite direction how is this happening?''. Double edged sword, it could have been handled better. Maybe not a cutscene but maybe somehow by forcing the player to run in one direction, I don't know.

Maybe there is a super secret ending where we can stop Nela? :P And everyone is just doing it wrong. 

• Mr Moo likes this

#30 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 13:42

First - you can yell at Nela while you run! Didn't know that. Makes much more sense than running without a word.

I yelled Nela like 5 times I think (going to do it again after the patch when they add the recording variations).

#31 Bluejay

Bluejay

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 15 March 2015 - 14:34

I just stood there at the curb because I know what's going to happen. Then everything was taken out of my hands. *shrug*

Faith Manages - Delenn / Babylon 5

"Throw it and you're bedroom shoes!" - Honor Harrington to Nimitz

Dester'edre shena Tale'sedrin

Home
Asheron's Call | LOTRO | SWTOR | Guild Wars 2 | Star Citizen

#32 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 15:43

I could tell that the game wanted me to run after Nela, so I did. It was a powerful moment. 

It never even occurred to me as a possibility to run after her.  At first I didn't realize I could move and when the "hit shift to run" appeared, I assumed it was to run away from the blast.

• Riaise and Mr Moo like this

#33 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:18

It's very interesting seeing such a wide range of instinctual reactions! :)

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#34 merryawe

merryawe

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:52

So-ee my Zoe just stood there totally still and was like "Nela. Nela. Nela."

Then she suddenly teleported very close to Nela and the gate, did her run-fun and everything 'sploded.

I also froze when Kian had the possibility of being kissed for the first time in his life and I'm so sorry for him.

The whole reaction time limit is not going very well for me. 

I'll probably never try to drive a car now.

I'd be all like "Excuse me for freezing while driving over your grandchildren, ma'am".

P.S. - Did anyone check what was in that friggin' box?

• Mr Moo, Sha'nie and Tomer like this

#35 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:56

P.S. - Did anyone check what was in that friggin' box?

Many tried, but none succeeded. ;)

• merryawe and Sha'nie like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#36 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:00

We can't handle the truth of what's in the box! Too bad that Falk now has it (probably). May the sausages inside cause him indigestion.
  • DollyDagger likes this

#37 merryawe

merryawe

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:05

We can't handle the truth of what's in the box! 

Is this Mulholland Drive or what?

Edit:

The meaning has escaped me once more; the upper phrase was supposed to convey that it sounds Mulholland Drive-ish all the way.

Edit 2:

Also: I really should read before I post (I felt so unique with my MD reference for a moment), but there's too much to catch up after these few days and I just have this need to blabber... 

• urzagc13 and Atrus like this

#38 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:07

I've said 4 times that it feels so much like it!

Is this Mulholland Drive or what?

• Mr Moo and merryawe like this

#39 Retodon8

Retodon8

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:32

Hmmm, I ran after her because that seemed like the right thing to do. I only considered not running for a split second. The game should play a different cutscene if you don't run, or run the other way, for the people who had that instinct, or did that on their second playthrough. It shouldn't even have to influence anything that happens in the coming episodes... although I can't say that for sure since I don't know exactly how everything will play out of course.

To be completely honest after I noticed a familiar looking pair of arms grabbing Zoë and realizing I probably screwed Nela by letting the box fall in enemy hands after she trusted me with it, that's what mostly bugged me to reload the last save game. I noticed Zoë was standing right behind a trash can before she ran after Nela, so I had to try and dump it there. Also I never inspected the box in my inventory. I reloaded, tried both things and found out I didn't miss anything in the first place. Now the wait for book 3...

• Mr Moo likes this

#40 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:34

But is the truth, as Hitchcock observed, in the box?  No, there isn't room.  The ambiguity has put on weight.

• Mr Moo and DollyDagger like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book two, Nela, explosion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users