Photo

Ilusion of choice. The ending of Book Two.

Book two Nela explosion

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 Tamahome

Tamahome

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 00:42

So the very last gameplay moment in Book 2, running after Nela who is about to blow herself sky high. What was the point of that exactly? It could have just been a cutscene. Instead the player is put into the driver seat, the problem with that is that you can run in the opposite direction (and some people would naturally do that) yet the following cutscene shows Zoe running to the rescue. 

I have ran after Nela myself, trying to stop her but what is the point of being given control of Zoe in that moment when the outcome cannot be alerted? In fact immersion can be broken if player decides to get the hell outta dodge yet somehow Zoe still runs after Nela in the cutscene that follows. So it might as well have been a single cutscene. 

The only reason I see for this is to add ''drama'' but it is sort of a silly thing to do here in my opinion, especially since some of the previous choices were reliant on the player walking up and choosing to interfere. The moment the run after Nela starts the player is under the impression that it is one of those choice moments, but in the end it is not.

• Atrus likes this

#2 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:13

Point is that you get engaged more when you do something rather than taken out to a cut scene. Choice is not always the point. You yelling out Nela by the player's control can also be engaging. I personally like this approach more tbh.

• khh likes this

#3 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:15

Greater emotional impact, because you're more involved. The only thing that could slightly improve it would be to add something for those who opted to run in the opposite direction instead (and still explain why Zoe is still knocked unconscious in that case).

• Luna, Ravenwoods and Yetili like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#4 ElDoRado1239

ElDoRado1239

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location203km from Přístaviště

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:18

It was a good thing realised in a bad way. The game should force you a bit more into running there. I don't say I know how it could have been improved, but the option to run away resulting in an out of place cutscene was really the only weak point of the game for me.

Luckily, I run towards her at first. Then I tried to load and run away, only to find this "bug" as well. I guess it can really break the immersion if you run away during your first playthrough.

Oh, yeah, I also managed to point at one of the stalls when the arrow was about to hit Kian and he started talking about shopping while facing his apparent death. XD

• MisterMetropolis, Mr Moo, NeilClaimer and 1 other like this

So, wake up, Miss Castillo. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*...

#5 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:11

It was a good thing realised in a bad way. The game should force you a bit more into running there. I don't say I know how it could have been improved, but the option to run away resulting in an out of place cutscene was really the only weak point of the game for me.

Luckily, I run towards her at first. Then I tried to load and run away, only to find this "bug" as well. I guess it can really break the immersion if you run away during your first playthrough.

Oh, yeah, I also managed to point at one of the stalls when the arrow was about to hit Kian and he started talking about shopping while facing his apparent death. XD

Well, tbh, I didn't even think to run away lol. So, I didn't have the experience.

• DollyDagger likes this

#6 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:13

:lol:

• Indrid Cold and Ravenwoods like this

#7 kurosuzeria

kurosuzeria

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:13

I didn't really like this either. It felt like it should have been a cutscene. I ran in the opposite direction. Who wouldn't? Well, I guess there must be people who runn after Nela, but that's such a crazy, unstable thing to do. I don't care who it was; they have their finger on a bomb detonator, and there's nothing you can do. It's insane to think you could run towards them and do anything about it. So I ran away, and suddenly I was at her back getting blown up? I went from, " holy no what the hell " to " what the hell was that? This is a stupid thing " , and the end of the book was a little ruined for me.

#8 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:14

It was a very powerful moment for me.
  • khh, Pawlo_86 and Ravenwoods like this

#9 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:20

Allowing people to run the other direction, and then teleporting them to the explosion seems not very good. But I'm not sure what would be a good way to solve this?

• Sha'nie likes this

#10 kurosuzeria

kurosuzeria

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:24

Allowing people to run the other direction, and then teleporting them to the explosion seems not very good. But I'm not sure what would be a good way to solve this?

Just remove control during that scene is really the only 'fix.'

#11 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:24

I didn't know about it - it does sound crappy. A good way would be to still have her hit by the shock wave - only from the back. It doesn't have to lead to a different consequence, but it'd look more realistic, I agree. And it sounds doable.
  • popcorngal, khh, Dmm and 4 others like this

#12 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:29

I didn't really like this either. It felt like it should have been a cutscene. I ran in the opposite direction. Who wouldn't? 

I didn't. I thought I could stop Nela so I ran after her!

• khh likes this

#13 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:29

I didn't know about it - it does sound crappy. A good way would be to still have her hit by the shock wave - only from the back. It doesn't have to lead to a different consequence, but it'd look more realistic, I agree. And it sounds doable.

I think just getting hit from behind by the shockwave is a better solution tbh.

#14 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:30

I didn't. I thought I could stop Nela so I ran after her!

Well, you did it cause it's a game. Would you do it in real life? ;) I think that's what Kurosuzeria was getting at... ;)
  • Sha'nie, Ravenwoods and inspector like this

#15 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:31

Well, you did it cause it's a game. Would you do it in real life? ;) I think that's what Kurosuzeria was getting at... ;)

I would only run after someone I loved dearly. So I would run away like Usain Bolt from ms grenade launcher.

• Sha'nie likes this

#16 kurosuzeria

kurosuzeria

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:32

Lol, I guess it's a testament to how in to the game I got that I began thinking as I would IRL, and not as a game. If my head would have been more in a game mindset, I might have run after her, but my initiial thought was sh*t, bomb, fleeeeeeeee. 

• Tomer likes this

#17 ElDoRado1239

ElDoRado1239

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location203km from Přístaviště

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:34

I didn't really like this either. It felt like it should have been a cutscene. I ran in the opposite direction. Who wouldn't? Well, I guess there must be people who runn after Nela, but that's such a crazy, unstable thing to do. I don't care who it was; they have their finger on a bomb detonator, and there's nothing you can do. It's insane to think you could run towards them and do anything about it. So I ran away, and suddenly I was at her back getting blown up? I went from, " holy no what the hell " to " what the hell was that? This is a stupid thing " , and the end of the book was a little ruined for me.

When making a decision, I always try to consider "What would Zoe do?" After all, there's a lot of situations where I didn't know enough to decide. Give the data to Sully? Is he reliable? I let Zoe tell me what she thinks about him first - "He's the best." Ok, I trust you on this, Zoe.

The same thing happened here. If I was there, I would yell at Nela - I would probably even guess what's about to happen a bit sooner than Zoe. But I wasn't there, Zoe was. And I know she would definitely run after her. Even though it's kinda crazy...

So, wake up, Miss Castillo. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*...

#18 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:34

Lol, I guess it's a testament to how in to the game I got that I began thinking as I would IRL, and not as a game. If my head would have been more in a game mindset, I might have run after her, but my initiial thought was sh*t, bomb, fleeeeeeeee. 

I don't think I could avoid running after immediate family members, especially kids. Even if I was certain I wouldn't make it.

Kids don't run very fast.

Edited by Moohouse, 15 March 2015 - 02:35.

• DollyDagger likes this

#19 Ravenwoods

Ravenwoods

Arcadia Native

• Journeyman
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:01

If I had Dreamer powers and if I had once nearly died (like Zoe has), yes :P

• Sha'nie likes this

#20 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:27

I might, depending on the specific relationship they had.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book two, Nela, explosion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users