Photo
- - - - -

Savegame management

savegame

Best Answer khh , 14 March 2015 - 20:57

There's an explanation of how the saves works, and where they're stored in the FAQ.

To answer your questions

- Well the game searches both locations for saves, so it can't be ignored precisely. But if you delete it, it shouldn't reappear I think.

- Yes. But don't delete the storyflags.data file that's one folder up from the saves, that's what transfers your choices between books.

- I'd back up both the Autosave directory and the storyflags.data. For my personal backup I zipped the entire C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters\ folder.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sméagol

Sméagol

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSchiedam, The Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2015 - 20:10

I've played through book 1 and 2. Normally, with Telltale games, I just check wikis for alternative outcomes, but the internet disappoints me so far, plus, since there seem to be many branching outcomes, I've decided I'll just replay the game in this case. But the savegames are a hassle. So, here are some questions:

- I see two folders with savegames. Can C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters\Autosave be ignored?

- I'm actually not interested in all the previous saves from my canon playthough. If I really want to change something, I'll do it immediately, otherwise I'll stick with it. Can I safely delete every save file in both directories except the latest one?

- If I want to back up my canon playthrough, can I just move the latest savegame to a temp folder within the save directory, and start playing chapter 1? (And when book 3 arrives, switch the savegames?)

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 20:57   Best Answer

There's an explanation of how the saves works, and where they're stored in the FAQ.

To answer your questions

- Well the game searches both locations for saves, so it can't be ignored precisely. But if you delete it, it shouldn't reappear I think.

- Yes. But don't delete the storyflags.data file that's one folder up from the saves, that's what transfers your choices between books.

- I'd back up both the Autosave directory and the storyflags.data. For my personal backup I zipped the entire C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters\ folder.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Sméagol

Sméagol

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSchiedam, The Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2015 - 21:41

Thanks!

• khh likes this

#4 denial

denial

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:11

To answer your questions

The folders listed in the FAQ isn't how it looks for me at OS X. It's a bit weird since it was Morten who listed those directories, and only three days ago.

After finishing book two I wanted to make a backup, but obviously found no new files in the old location. But there is no "~/Library/Application Support/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/" but instead "~/Library/Application Support/unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters". Maybe the FAQ should be updated (or my game fixed ...)?

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 21:26

I'll PM Morten about it, but I don't want to update it myself. We may be missing something.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: savegame

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users