• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 21:56

While this is humourous, I'm not sure it's the greatest advice. It kind of depends on which way the map is facing. Some face south, some west, some north, etc. I think you need to figure out which way you're facing so, when you look at the map, you can figure out whether you're currently facing toward the top, bottom, left, or right of the map.

it's not, but it will help. the point is that after reading the map, turn your back against the map before you start walking. 

If you don't turn your back, you will ends up going the opposite direction of where you wanted to go.

#22 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 22:07

Partly related: during a year of study abroad, in the US, I did a geology 101 class. And was amazed at how even basic map reading skills eluded US college freshmen. We were using topographic maps and stratigraphic profiles to show how the layers of rock were running, and most of them had no clue... I consider map reading a necessary skill for functioning in society, but perhaps I have too high standards. ;)

Is it much better here though? As far as I can recall we spent like an hour or two talking about maps in elementary school and that was it. I learned reading maps from my dad.

Maps seem to be one of those things that were invented by men so men find them easiest to use. My wife and I are poster children for the differences. I navigate by direction and distance; she navigates by familiar landmarks. I think it would be really interesting to see some maps drawn from a woman's perspective. I suspect other women would find them easy to use, and men wouldn't be able to make head or tail out of them ;)

I don't think it's that simple, though. I'm a guy and yet I preferentially navigate based on familiar landmarks.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#23 aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 March 2015 - 20:03

Maps seem to be one of those things that were invented by men so men find them easiest to use. My wife and I are poster children for the differences. I navigate by direction and distance; she navigates by familiar landmarks. I think it would be really interesting to see some maps drawn from a woman's perspective. I suspect other women would find them easy to use, and men wouldn't be able to make head or tail out of them ;)

I wholeheartedly agree.  I have ZERO interest in a map of any sort and it is certainly not for lack of education or lack of the occasional boyfriend who try to show me how easy it is (bless their hearts).  It's like, I don't care how easy it is - I simply do not care nor have any desire to learn.  For the most part, I base my navigation on landmarks or use GPS.  Maps fill me with sadness.

I found it I did, a way through the marshes....Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go 'round for miles and miles.

#24 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 20:37

I don't think it's that simple, though. I'm a guy and yet I preferentially navigate based on familiar landmarks.

I think you're just one of the outlyers. When I said "men" and "women" I did not mean to imply every last man and woman, without exception, everywhere in the universe. It's a general statement: "the majority of men" and "the majority of women". There are, of course, exceptions for both genders.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#25 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 March 2015 - 21:17

I think you're just one of the outlyers. When I said "men" and "women" I did not mean to imply every last man and woman, without exception, everywhere in the universe. It's a general statement: "the majority of men" and "the majority of women". There are, of course, exceptions for both genders.

I just haven't seen any evidence or indication myself to suppose that maps are for men. I guess that's what I'm saying. 

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#26 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 March 2015 - 23:17

I just haven't seen any evidence or indication myself to suppose that maps are for men. I guess that's what I'm saying. 

Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps: How We're Different and What to Do About It

The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'

Apparently, Gay men read maps like women (use landmarks)

• khh likes this

#27 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 18:21

I am a heterosexual male and I find both methods useful for navigating.

I use both maps and landmarks. If I am going into an area I am unfamiliar with I rely mostly on maps, but note any thing of significance if I think I might be returning to that area. But once I am familiar with an area, a combination of a mental map and landmarks seems to work the best for me. So if someone wants to describe to me how to get a specific location by using landmarks, no problem and if they want to use a map to show me how to get there, that is fine too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users