#1 Zach055

Zach055

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 17:19

I entered the city and the blue kid showed me where the National Front meeting was. I talked to the guard and I followed the angry women. As I was trying to find my way back to where the meeting was, I got lost. I cannot find the meeting or the angry women. The maps don't help since it doesn't tell me which direction I'm facing when I'm looking at the sign. If someone could post a detailed map or detailed directions than I could find my way.

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 17:22

Are there any landmarks that you CAN find? Maybe we can give directions from there...

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 17:23

I just explored until I happened upon the angry woman. She's not very far from the NF meeting. 

Can't really post any detailed description of where to go without knowing where you are, though.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 14 March 2015 - 17:35

you want to be in the bones. there are only a few streets through there. Should be fairly easy to find.

#5 Zach055

Zach055

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 18:11

you want to be in the bones. there are only a few streets through there. Should be fairly easy to find.

Its not easy, I have been wondering around the city for hours trying to find the angry women, and even when I find the angry woman I cannot find the meeting place.

#6 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 14 March 2015 - 18:13

If you found the woman, the meeting is in the small alleyway to your right (if your back is towards the sea).
  • Vainamoinen likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#7 Zach055

Zach055

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 18:36

If you found the woman, the meeting is in the small alleyway to your right (if your back is towards the sea).

Thank you, you were helpful.

#8 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 00:33

The maps are actually pretty easy to use. You have to note what direction you're facing when you look at the map. For example, if you're in a large open space like a market, take note of which part of the space the map is located in. Then note the paths leading in and out of the space. By using those, you can figure out which way you're facing, so you can then figure out which path to take to get where you want to go. It takes a little practice, but gets easier the more you do it.

• Edreamer Jamil, Mr Moo and aeonfluxx75 like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#9 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 00:37

I guess this is what I do quite naturally? Because I have never even thought about finding my heading to be a challenge. :blink:

• aeonfluxx75, Carlos and Abbe like this

#10 aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:49

I got lost in Marcuria OFTEN when first there as Kian.  It was dreadful and the maps drove me crazy, I was forever going in the wrong direction and not paying attention to landmarks enough to read the maps properly - it was definitely user error.  My anxiety kept getting the best of me despite the veil.  I even fell asleep a few times trying to familiarize myself.  My gameplay hours are INSANE.

angry lady:

Spoiler

• Mr Moo and Igelwelt like this

I found it I did, a way through the marshes....Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go 'round for miles and miles.

#11 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:59

do the opposite of what the map tells you for left and right headings. So the star indicating where you at, if you want to go right, you just go left.

Then proceed from there slowly. i guess?

• Mr Moo and aeonfluxx75 like this

#12 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:03

North is always up hill. You can figure out pretty much everything just based on that. Plus if you can see that 500ft tower thats a good land mark to help you :)
  • khh, aeonfluxx75 and Igelwelt like this

#13 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:20

do the opposite of what the map tells you for left and right headings. So the star indicating where you at, if you want to go right, you just go left.

Then proceed from there slowly. i guess?

While this is humourous, I'm not sure it's the greatest advice. It kind of depends on which way the map is facing. Some face south, some west, some north, etc. I think you need to figure out which way you're facing so, when you look at the map, you can figure out whether you're currently facing toward the top, bottom, left, or right of the map.

• khh, Mr Moo and aeonfluxx75 like this

#14 Oktalist

Oktalist

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:43

e.g. If the map is near a T-junction, you can orient it by lining up the T-junction on the map with the T-junction in the world.

Or if not a T-junction, then any other feature with doesn't have rotational symmetry.

EDIT: I mean this is just map reading. It's not any different from reading maps in the real world.

#15 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:52

Partly related: during a year of study abroad, in the US, I did a geology 101 class. And was amazed at how even basic map reading skills eluded US college freshmen. We were using topographic maps and stratigraphic profiles to show how the layers of rock were running, and most of them had no clue... I consider map reading a necessary skill for functioning in society, but perhaps I have too high standards. ;)
  • agirlnamedbob, khh, Mr Moo and 2 others like this

#16 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 21:19

I suck at wilderness map navigation (the you are here dot would help immensely - I suck at finding my outdoors position on a map), but I'm fairly good at building and city map navigation.

#17 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 March 2015 - 21:23

There IS a "you are here" thing in the Marcuria maps, it's the "cross in a circle" symbol.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 21:23

Partly related: during a year of study abroad, in the US, I did a geology 101 class. And was amazed at how even basic map reading skills eluded US college freshmen. We were using topographic maps and stratigraphic profiles to show how the layers of rock were running, and most of them had no clue... I consider map reading a necessary skill for functioning in society, but perhaps I have too high standards. ;)

Where in the U.S. did you study? ;) 

I'm honestly curious. Because standardization with a lot of that stuff varies so much depending on where you're at here. I remember learning a lot about maps at various points in my education. I kinda like topographic maps actually (gasp) and I remember doing an entire unite on them in at least one of my science classes. Though I have friends who definitely didn't. 

I still have serious issues reading maps, but it wasn't for a lack of coverage in the curriculum at my school. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#19 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 21:27

Where in the U.S. did you study? ;)

Tacoma, WA. It was rainy.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#20 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 21:34

Maps seem to be one of those things that were invented by men so men find them easiest to use. My wife and I are poster children for the differences. I navigate by direction and distance; she navigates by familiar landmarks. I think it would be really interesting to see some maps drawn from a woman's perspective. I suspect other women would find them easy to use, and men wouldn't be able to make head or tail out of them ;)

• aeonfluxx75 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users