124 replies to this topic

#1 artemisofephesus

artemisofephesus

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:00

I really liked Nela - she reminded me of a lot of my friends, and, well, myself as well. It was pretty shocking to see what happened to her in the end. She didn't seem like the sort of person who would become (for all intents and purposes) a suicide bomber.

Theories on what prompted this/what it means??

The only things I can really think of is that we know she was getting into hot water from some other Manifesto/Marxist members for not getting involved enough, or being willing to take radical action. I wonder if she was trying to prove some sort of point to them - but still, it seems out of character. Or maybe someone had something on her that prompted such drastic action.

The only other thought I have is that the bomb wasn't really a bomb, but some sort of teleportation device, and Nela is now happily joining the rebels in Marcuria. But that is a bit more of a crack theory than anything...

#2 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:05

What is/was in the box?

• DollyDagger likes this

#3 artemisofephesus

artemisofephesus

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:07

I *hope* some sort of explanation to Zoe about why Nela did what she did.

#4 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:09

Theories on what prompted this/what it means??

Essentially, it means that people in Europolis are feeling and getting depressed by the oppression they are enduring. Nela's action is the epitome of despair, but also of hate. Maybe even concern for her fellow people. Her freedom being taken away bit by bit, it was just too much for her to take.
:(

• skadet, agirlnamedbob, khh and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#5 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:12

Yeah Nela became a terrorist, rebel etc. Maybe Hannah told her "the truth" so Nela chose her ultimate path?

• Igelwelt likes this

#6 artemisofephesus

artemisofephesus

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:13

Essentially, it means that people in Europolis are feeling and getting depressed by the oppression they are enduring. Nela's action is the epitome of despair, but also of hate. Maybe even concern for her fellow people. Her freedom being taken away bit by bit, it was just too much for her to take.

I can see that for many people in Europolis, but Nela didn't seem to me to be a very despairing character. Cynical, yes, but there was always a tough kind of positivity behind her from my reading. I think if she really did just feel like it was too much there must have been something else we don't know about yet that was the final straw.

• Igelwelt, Ravenwoods and inspector like this

#7 Tamahome

Tamahome

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:15

I wasn't really surprised with what happened to her. The moment she gave Zoe the box I was like ''Okay she is about to get herself killed''. Then when she turned onto the street with the eye building it was pretty obvious what was gonna follow. It's a shame, I liked her character. 

Although I am pretty sure this will backfire and the clampdown will become even more strict. But maybe this will lead to more people rising up against it so who knows...

• agirlnamedbob, Igelwelt and inspector like this

#8 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:18

In my first playthrough I had chosen the sausages, which meant her cart was confiscated and her permit cancelled. Under these circumstances I could kind of see her being so "upset"/sad that she would do something so extreme (she probably felt her life was over anyway). I'll try the other path today (probably), but can anyone who chose the cheese soup tell me if her cart is "intact" in that path? Because if it is, it makes less sense that she would still go ahead with the "bombing".
  • skadet, Igelwelt and inspector like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#9 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:19

Nela faced a whole lot of oppression, saw and told what most people didn't want to see. And she looked the threat in the eye as a courageous person. But from the conversation with the Collective representative, we also get a glimpse into what she expects from her life. Some kind of normality, just selling food from her cart. Her marxist convictions weren't the end of all means.

Not sure what's in the package. It will certainly tie in with her despair, I'm sure of it.

However, for the character to crack like that, no additional incentives were really needed.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#10 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:29

Until further notice there's not such a thing like a teleportation device based on technology that can tp you from Stark to Arcadia. Ofcourse that can change. I've got several theories. Either it's just Nela's motivation to blow up the city because of her strong political standpoints, and she has actually received the same information that Zoë has (the corruption from wati), but it's maybe also something else. Maybe nela got the assignment to "wake up" Zoë, or have her to reset the dream ... if that even is possible.

You see that Falk Friedman is dragging Zoë's body away and when you see her in the bed, it's the same hospital bed she was in in story time/cassablanka. And RTG is pulling a "groundhogday/we're-not-in-Europolis-anymore" on us , with a twist ?

I can't wait for book three and hopefully it's not gonna be 4 months :)

• khh, spyked, Pawlo_86 and 2 others like this

#11 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:32

You see that Falk Friedman is dragging Zoë's body away and when you see her in the bed, it's the same hospital bed she was in in story time/cassablanka. And RTG is pulling a "groundhogday/we're-not-in-Europolis-anymore" on us , with a twist ?

Pretty interesting idea. Maybe Falk works for Helena Chang and she isn't that evil like we all think since ending of Dreamfall/start of Book One.

I pretty like idea about reset of Zoe's new life. After all Zoe failed task given to her by Vagabond and didn't remember Storytime. So she returns to coma state and got third...and last chance?

I think that Nela figured revelations about politics and chose to became a rebel and start a liberation of Propast.

• Igelwelt and inspector like this

#12 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:35

It's not possible to open the box, nor even to examine it, I think.

• Pawlo_86 and Igelwelt like this

#13 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:36

It's not possible to open the box, nor even to examine it, I think.

Yep.

#14 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:39

I hope not! ;)

• Cendres and Igelwelt like this

#15 artemisofephesus

artemisofephesus

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:41

Maybe nela got the assignment to "wake up" Zoë, or have her to reset the dream ... if that even is possible.

Ooh, actually, if Zoe is still dreaming, that could kinda work... Like Zoe's seb-conscious going 'right, I need to do something extreme so that she wakes up now?'

#16 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:43

Zoe used Dreamer just before Baruti/Nela events. Is there something about this? Lucid dream?

• Jecica, CosmicD, DollyDagger and 4 others like this

#17 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:43

They're definitely *not* going to retcon all of Books 1&2. However, the events after the (veery weirdly edited) "encounter" of Zoe with the Dreamachine could be suspect to a degree. I still don't think they're going to tell us that they didn't happen, but definitely something strange is going on there, the scene transitions are very bizarre, very dreamlike.
  • skadet, Riaise, DollyDagger and 1 other like this

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#18 Idinyphe

Idinyphe

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:51

The interesting thing about this topic is what I learned about me. When I realised she is planning an assault I tried to run away as fast as slow motion took me to a "savespot" (an entrance around the corner with walls to the center of the explosion) to be save from the explosion.

I still think there is no way to get away from it (please report if you managed that)

I am a little bit suspicious about what RTG is doing with this data :)

"13% of the people did run away from the explosion"

"92% of the people used the dreammachine within 5 minutes"

• jannar85 and Igelwelt like this

Unfortunately that's the story of revenge. It's messy. Never really works out the way you want it to.

#19 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:53

I just repeat "Nela! Nela! Nela!" all over again. I really wanted to stop her! Its awesome scene iin slo-motion. So emotional!

• Jecica, kellkerrick, CosmicD and 3 others like this

#20 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:56

Haha, nice one, Idinyphe! Too bad that it seems that RTG didn't really code a "choice" here (in order to preserve the dramatic moment I guess). It would be fun if you could actually hide from the explosion but right afterwards you're shot by a frantic guard or something, so you still end up unconscious.
Personally I was totally "sucked" in the scene as intended: I run straight TOWARDS Nela as fast as I could and even clicked on her several times (which I think results in shouting her name in vain).

• Jecica, khh, Mr Moo and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users