Photo
- - - - -

Freezes and makes noise... Book 2 eating RAM like crazy?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 19:02

My Windows 8.1 install is my work PC, not my gaming computer. In my gaming computer it's 8136 MB, system controlled (PC has 8GB RAM).

The noise sounds like some fan, this may be driver or hardware related? Do you have the latest video card drivers installed?

No, the noise is from the game. I use earphones, it's not coming from the laptop itself. And it only happens when the game freezes.

Book 2 just doesn't seem to be optimized well. At all.

Such a shame, I was almost done with the second to last chapter and I can't complete it. Really disheartening. I think I should just wait until they're done with all the books (and the many patches....) and then play this.

Would have been better if it didn't work from the start so I wouldn't have had to waste any time with it... ironically.

#22 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 19:04

Yes, because this happening to one user totally proves that. ;)

#23 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 19:07

Yes, because this happening to one user totally proves that. ;)

All I can tell you is that it's not working on my laptop. I don't know if others are having problems.

But the fact remains.

Maybe it's just not optimized for Intel laptops. That doesn't mean it's not important to fix.

#24 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 19:27

All I can tell you is that it's not working on my laptop. I don't know if others are having problems.

Yes, the computer should clearly never hang, for any reason.

Unlike in the TLJ saga, mystery really isn't important when it comes to things like these ...

#25 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 19:29

Yes, the computer should clearly never hang, for any reason.

Unlike in the TLJ saga, mystery really isn't important when it comes to things like these ...

I'm all for computer hanging, but not for unneccessary computer hanging. :P

Completely agree.... But maybe it's not so much a mystery?

#26 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 20:48

When it freezes, it also makes an awful noise. it sounds kinda like "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and it doesn't stop until I force-restart my PC.

That changes things, actually. I've mostly heard that kind of sound with hardware issues such as overheating, or a driver crashing. That may be what's going on there.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#27 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 20:52

That changes things, actually. I've mostly heard that kind of sound with hardware issues such as overheating, or a driver crashing. That may be what's going on there.

No, the noise is from the game. I use earphones, it's not coming from the laptop itself. And it only happens when the game freezes.

#28 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 21:03

Yeah, exactly. When the computer crashes the soundcard is often stuck playing the same tiny piece of sound it has in it's buffer over and over. It sounds like an unpleasant buzz.

• Dreamcatcher and ShadowNate like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#29 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 March 2015 - 22:05

that bzzzz could be a direct audio crash or hang up. edit: ninjad by khh :D
my windows is german and I have a startmenue extension so I
can go to systemconfig in a way you most likely can not.
Ok. I´ll try my best.-
Try settings-(the gear symbol) ~systemconfiguration - sound-
select speakers (edit : or headphones) then search for settings and then Tab Advanced
See if Exclusive mode:
~programms have exclusive control over device

(I´m guessing here and try to translate my version
it could well read somehow different.) :wacko:

is checked.

It should be and most likely is. but it might be worth checking.

#30 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:19

My problem isn't that the audio crashes, it's that the whole thing freezes. I literally cannot play the game.

Even if I do manage to stop that awful sound from happening, I still wouldn't be able to continue Book 2...

#31 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:35

Driver or hardware failure would result in a BSOD. So it sounds like over heating to me since the whole machine is freezing not just the game. You get freezing and looping sounds when windows its self cant catch the error.

For the record I find book 2 to be about 50% faster than Book one, thats also on an intel i5.

• khh likes this

#32 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:04

It's not overheating, I touched the bottom of the laptop to make sure. However it probably would overheat if I left it, but after 3 minutes of waiting for it to unfreeze I switch it off because I think it could cause some damage.

Before when it froze I would be able to access Task manager and turn it off, but now it's like you say, the whole machine is freezing it's not just the game.

Driver or hardware failure would result in a BSOD. So it sounds like over heating to me since the whole machine is freezing not just the game. You get freezing and looping sounds when windows its self cant catch the error.

For the record I find book 2 to be about 50% faster than Book one, thats also on an intel i5.

#33 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:17

It's not overheating, I touched the bottom of the laptop to make sure.

an overheating cpu or gfx chip wouldn't result in any major heat you could feel from under the laptop.

Anyway, thats really all I have on this issue. Good luck getting it fixed :)

• Luna likes this

#34 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 13:21

Overheating issues may be detected by using a logging temperature sensor program. Without knowing your laptop well, I can't say which one would work with it, however. :(

Does the Windows event log say anything interesting?

• Luna likes this

#35 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:34

an overheating cpu or gfx chip wouldn't result in any major heat you could feel from under the laptop.

Anyway, thats really all I have on this issue. Good luck getting it fixed :)

Didn't know that, thanks!

Overheating issues may be detected by using a logging temperature sensor program. Without knowing your laptop well, I can't say which one would work with it, however. :(

Does the Windows event log say anything interesting?

I checked it, but it doesn't seem to say anything out of the ordinary...

Anyway, I'll just wait for the patch and hope it gets fixed! I would like to complete Book 2 since I have progressed so much with it and I'd like to keep the choices I've made, but I won't be playing any of the future books until they are all released and all tech issues have been dealt with...

Thanks for trying to help guys!

#36 Turin231

Turin231

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 21:41

Hey guys...

This is a memory Leak issue. I had the same thing and i am using a much more powerful PC (16bg of RAM and R9270) and actually had the same problem on LINUX.  And always had the freezes on propast which is a much more demanding area visually. I had to ramp down the visuals to avoid it happening often. And it still happens. This is fully a game bug. Hope it is fixed soon.

#37 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:36

Ok guys, I fixed IT!!!!

Turns out the new Nvidia driver had been crashing and freezing my PC!!!! Somehow the new Nvidia driver is incompatible with DFC!

I reverted the update and I'm now using the old driver. IT WORKS. IT WORKS.

Nvidia + Dreamfall Chapters = shit?

If any of you are having problems like this and have recently updated your drivers, try reverting the update and see what happens.

FUCK you Nvidia for releasing unstable drivers. There's NO excuse for this bullshit!

So yes, I got to finish Book 2 yesterday.

Explosions.

Nuff said.

• Tina and khh like this

#38 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:34

Happy that you got it working in the end, but worried since I installed a new nvidia driver yesterday evening :P I did actually test Chapters after installing, but only to play one scene in Book1.

My laptop worked great with Chapters, already from the early access book1 unpatched release btw.
  • Luna likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#39 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:59

Happy that you got it working in the end, but worried since I installed a new nvidia driver yesterday evening :P I did actually test Chapters after installing, but only to play one scene in Book1.

My laptop worked great with Chapters, already from the early access book1 unpatched release btw.

What laptop are you using?

It could be just the drivers for the same graphics card like mine. I'm really clueless with all this techinical stuff. Either way I'm not going to update my drivers for a while now...

#40 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:10

Lenovo ideapad y510. But it comes with different configurations and I'm not sure exactly what hardware I've got on mine (since I'm at work now). And I'm also clueless about technical stuff :P

But I did buy it according to the "recommended" specs for Chapters (needed a new one anyway), with a bit of help from the more technically advanced boyfriend :)
  • Luna likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users