Photo
- - - - -

Freezes and makes noise... Book 2 eating RAM like crazy?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:43

I'm on the second to last chapter of Book 2. But the game is freezing a lot. When I started it, it was fine, then it started freezing but I was able to go to Task Manager, switch it off and start it again (I'd have to do this process several times, but I was still able to progress a bit.)

Now that I'm nearing the end, however, it's freezing and I'm not able to access the task manager. I have to force-shut down my laptop... I've tried restarting but it only works for a few seconds before freezing.

I think, for some reason, the more I progress with the game, the more memory it's eating. Especially in Marcuria..??

Well, this is a game-breaker for me because now I can't finish the game.

I am so disappointed with how DFC has been developed. I wasn't able to play Book 1 either until after all the patches were released, because of the horrible framerates. Book 1 plays fine now, really smoothly, it's just book 2 that I'm having problems with.

Is there anyway I can fix this issue myself? I would like to finish the game without having to wait for all the patches......

Thanks for any help

Note: I'm also surprised to hear people saying how nice the background music. I rarely hear background music and some NPCs seem to be saying something (I have subtitles on) but no sound is coming out of their mouth.

DFC is, truly, ridden with technical issues.

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:58

DFC is, truly, ridden with technical issues.

First question, naturally: On what system are you running Chapters, especially what graphic card?
  • Pawlo_86 likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:10

First question, naturally: On what system are you running Chapters, especially what graphic card?

That shouldn't really matter since I can play Book 1 smoothly (after patching) with medium settings.

But here you go:

Windows 8.1

4 gb ram.

System type: 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor.

Processor: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz

Graphics card: GeForce GT 540M with latest drivers

#4 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:16

All right, that sounds like a decent system to me. I have a desktop computer, but your specifications easily outdo mine with the exception of the graphics card.

If you haven't already:

• activate v-sync in the Chapters video options menu.
  • gforce cards let you force the framerate. Try to limit Chapters to 30 or 40 frames.

That's all I have at the moment, sorry. :(

In Book 2, street conversations in Marcuria as well as Europolis were inexistant for me too. Opposed to Book 1, people were not talking to each other. If that's a bug, it should really be fixed before the sun sets. :blink:  But at the time, I don't think it is.

As to the music, it kind of sneaks up on you. There was one theme in Marcuria I've heard quite often, and the cutscenes had music of course. On the whole however, there's no constant music in the game, and I'd say considerably less than in Book 1.

• Luna likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#5 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:51

Thanks, you're wonderful! I'm adjusting the settings now and I'll post back once I'm done!

There are definitely "minor" technical issues spread over the game, also the rare graphic glitch here and there, but those I can overlook. But the game freezing and sounding like it's about to explode is not something i can turn a blind eye to...

I also wanted to note that my pc can play high-end games like Tomb Raider with medium to high settings with no problems. The issue is definitely not on my end... It's just so sad the development of DFC has been really disheartening.... I had such high hopes for it during the kickstarter, and even after finishing Book 1 (despite the awful framerate.....) And I'm not willing to believe that with each book things will get better/easier, Book 2 proved to me that simply is not the case....

EDIT: Well, forcing the framerate and activating v-sync did nothing.. I also tried loading an earlier save but still...

All right, that sounds like a decent system to me. I have a desktop computer, but your specifications easily outdo mine with the exception of the graphics card.

If you haven't already:

• activate v-sync in the Chapters video options menu.
  • gforce cards let you force the framerate. Try to limit Chapters to 30 or 40 frames.

That's all I have at the moment, sorry. :(

In Book 2, street conversations in Marcuria as well as Europolis were inexistant for me too. Opposed to Book 1, people were not talking to each other. If that's a bug, it should really be fixed before the sun sets. :blink:  But at the time, I don't think it is.

As to the music, it kind of sneaks up on you. There was one theme in Marcuria I've heard quite often, and the cutscenes had music of course. On the whole however, there's no constant music in the game, and I'd say considerably less than in Book 1.

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:55

I also wanted to note that my pc can play high-end games like Tomb Raider with medium to high settings with no problems. The issue is definitely not on my end...

No one said that it is! ;)

The limitations are mostly the engine's, Unity. Chapters just asks more of people's systems than they are used to from more optimized engines from AAA developers shoving millions and millions into these engines. Unity isn't (yet?) up to that. RTG is looking to port the game from Unity 4 to Unity 5 though, which hopefully makes the game a good bit less demanding.

• Tina and Luna like this

#7 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 13:06

I didn't know they were looking into porting it to a more stable engine! Thanks for letting me know!

I'm hoping the final version of the game will be free from all these awful tech issues, and will include things missing from the game. Like rain. On powerful systems it would be ridiculous to have Zoe looking outside of the window and saying how strange it is that it only rains when she's inside... and people walking around with umbrellas when the weather is clear.

No one said that it is! ;)

The limitations are mostly the engine's, Unity. Chapters just asks more of people's systems than they are used to from more optimized engines from AAA developers shoving millions and millions into these engines. Unity isn't (yet?) up to that. RTG is looking to port the game from Unity 4 to Unity 5 though, which hopefully makes the game a good bit less demanding.

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 13:07

This sounds like it may be a memory issue to me. Try to make sure you're not running any other memory hungry applications in the background. Sometimes computers can start acting weird when they have too little memory available.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#9 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 14:48

When I managed to access Task Manager, it showed that DFC was eating abnormal amounts of memory. No other applications were running.

This sounds like it may be a memory issue to me. Try to make sure you're not running any other memory hungry applications in the background. Sometimes computers can start acting weird when they have too little memory available.

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 14 March 2015 - 14:56

When I managed to access Task Manager, it showed that DFC was eating abnormal amounts of memory. No other applications were running.

define 'abnormal amounts'

you only have 4gb of ram, and the game requires 3gb at lowest settings, with 8 being recommended.

#11 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 15:15

Where are you getting your info...?

define 'abnormal amounts'

you only have 4gb of ram, and the game requires 3gb at lowest settings, with 8 being recommended.

#12 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 15:16

Where are you getting your info...?

You posted your spec, and the system requirements are on the games home page on steam for everyone to see.
http://store.steampo...com/app/237850/

#13 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 16:07

I don't remember how much memory it consumed (cause now I can't access Task Manager when it freezes, I have to force-restart), but I'm pretty sure it was almost all of it, and I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.

Thanks for the link. Still, I should be able to play it. I have 4gb ram, more than the minimum. I'm using medium settings, and I have been able to play Book 1 with no problems at all (after patching...), so there should be no reason for me not to be able to play Book 2...

You posted your spec, and the system requirements are on the games home page on steam for everyone to see.
http://store.steampo...com/app/237850/

#14 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 16:15

Thanks for the link. Still, I should be able to play it. I have 4gb ram, more than the minimum. I'm using medium settings, and I have been able to play Book 1 with no problems at all (after patching...), so there should be no reason for me not to be able to play Book 2...

I would say medium with that spec is pushing it (To me, its a low spec machine). If I was you, switch everything to lowest, then increase a few settings as you go to see whats causing you problems.

#15 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 16:28

I would say medium with that spec is pushing it (To me, its a low spec machine). If I was you, switch everything to lowest, then increase a few settings as you go to see whats causing you problems.

Already tried that, thanks.

#16 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 17:22

Do you have virtual memory turned off, by chance?

And if not, is your system disk (where Windows is installed) very full?

To make an example of my Surface Pro (with Windows 8.1)

RAM: 4,00 GB (3,89 GB in use) - as reported by Control Panel - System and Security - System

On Advanced System Settings, from System above, (you should end up at Advanced tab) - Performance - Settings - Advanced

In Processor scheduling it should say Adjust for best performance of Programs

In Virtual memory the total paging file size is listed. For this computer that is 704 MB.

Clicking Change shows that the default "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is enabled. Or state the sizes listed for each drive.

In File Explorer, my one and only C: drive has 70,9 GB free, so the page file has plenty of room to grow. :)

If I look in Task Manager under Performance and Memory, it says

In use: 1,9 GB

Available: 2,0 GB

Written: 2,3 / 4,6 GB

Buffered: 2,0 GB

Reserved hardware: 116 MB (4,00 GB - 116 MB ~= 3,89 GB)

In use + available should equal the 3,89 GB (in use) above, from System.

4,6 (written) - 3,89 (RAM) ~= 0,71 GB virtual memory, which roughly equals the 704 MB page file.

• khh and Luna like this

#17 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 17:26

What do you mean when you say the game makes noise, btw?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#18 Luna

Luna

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 18:48

What do you mean when you say the game makes noise, btw?

When it freezes, it also makes an awful noise. it sounds kinda like "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and it doesn't stop until I force-restart my PC.

Do you have virtual memory turned off, by chance?

And if not, is your system disk (where Windows is installed) very full?

To make an example of my Surface Pro (with Windows 8.1)

RAM: 4,00 GB (3,89 GB in use) - as reported by Control Panel - System and Security - System

On Advanced System Settings, from System above, (you should end up at Advanced tab) - Performance - Settings - Advanced

In Processor scheduling it should say Adjust for best performance of Programs

In Virtual memory the total paging file size is listed. For this computer that is 704 MB.

Clicking Change shows that the default "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is enabled. Or state the sizes listed for each drive.

In File Explorer, my one and only C: drive has 70,9 GB free, so the page file has plenty of room to grow. :)

If I look in Task Manager under Performance and Memory, it says

In use: 1,9 GB

Available: 2,0 GB

Written: 2,3 / 4,6 GB

Buffered: 2,0 GB

Reserved hardware: 116 MB (4,00 GB - 116 MB ~= 3,89 GB)

In use + available should equal the 3,89 GB (in use) above, from System.

4,6 (written) - 3,89 (RAM) ~= 0,71 GB virtual memory, which roughly equals the 704 MB page file.

I checked and it was on. I have it set to the recommended settings. 3000 something mb. Quite a lot compared to yours..?

My harddrive has 80 gb free disk space.

#19 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 18:51

When it freezes, it also makes an awful noise. it sounds kinda like "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and it doesn't stop until I force-restart my PC.

I checked and it was on. I have it set to the recommended settings. 3000 something mb. Quite a lot compared to yours..?

My harddrive has 80 gb free disk space.

My Windows 8.1 install is my work PC, not my gaming computer. In my gaming computer it's 8136 MB, system controlled (PC has 8GB RAM).

The noise sounds like some fan, this may be driver or hardware related? Do you have the latest video card drivers installed?

Edited by Moohouse, 14 March 2015 - 18:52.

#20 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 14 March 2015 - 18:58

Unless the noise is from the speakers, in which case I would look into updating the sound drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users