#381 Jito463

Jito463

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNebraska, US of A

Posted 16 March 2015 - 20:40

If there is one thing long time TLJ fans are good at, it is waiting.

It's Ragnar's inside joke.  When he called it "The Longest Journey", what he really meant was to make the games, not the story in them.   :P

• Dmm, Rowan37 and Yarrozu like this

#382 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 22:48

It's Ragnar's inside joke.  When he called it "The Longest Journey", what he really meant was to make the games, not the story in them.   :P

Well, considering that this series was always the most complex and ambitious adventure done... One can say that! :D

#383 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:48

It occurs to me that you have the exact opposite style when it comes to fans than Vince Gilligan had while he was making "Breaking Bad". He completely ignored the fans. It seems like you can't, and shouldn't, really do this, but maybe there's a middle ground. Maybe consider ignoring all the fans except the ones here. Only pay attention to mature adults and their helpful criticisms and ignore the jackasses who have the maturity level of a petulant toddler.

This is not entirely correct (about Vince Gilligan and Breaking Bad). The only season where he admited to completely ignore feedback from fans (basically reviewers and ratings) was the second one (and probably the first one -but that one had a bunch of other issues and also I don't remember reading any interviews of his about the first season). So, while they did season two without taking any viewership/ retings/ reviews/ fan feedback into consideration, they decided that this is not working well for them. Starting from season 3 the way they planned the season arcs was changed dramatically and they made some major changes to their initial stories and arcs as the season progressed. 

#384 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 16:49

"Fan feedback" is always dangerous grounds. Usually, fans want too much of what they perceive as 'good' while indeed certain characters, events, motifs or game mechanics profit a whole lot by remaining comparatively scarce highlights (Enu, Crow; love affairs among the characters; romance options; sudden revelations of family relationships; etc.). Fandom in geek culture quite often latches on to an idea that once upon a time was great, but seldom remains great in repetition ("groundhog day episode", "musical episode", etc.).

On the whole however, storytellers and game designers are quite able to distinguish the overenthusiastic, mayyyybe not particularly great advice from single prominent suggestions that may have some value. I'm pretty sure that Chapters' story in particular won't change in any way because of the fans, neither because of their suggestions nor because they happen to "guess the story right" (not particularly trustworthy rumor has it that Telltale changed the Wolf among Us storyline after fans pointed out the killer directly after episode 1).

Of course, fan feedback did influence the technical side of Chapters quite a bit. Getting rid of online contact attempts for statistics has remained hassle free, as explicitly promised by Ragnar in forum discussions; the game is now able to toggle consequence notifications and has assorted additional configuration options in comparison to the release builds of Books 1 and 2; RTG is working on a more sensible save system. To overstress the comparison one more time, that is significantly more than Telltale has ever changed the technical side of their games mid season (we e.g. had dozens of complaint threads in the TTG forums in 2012 because The Walking Dead didn't let you invert controls, which was a factual gamebreaker for a whole lot of angry people, yet that wasn't fixed).

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Dmm and 4 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#385 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 June 2015 - 13:49

Well, to be honest, if you don't feel Book Two contained any answers, I doubt you'll feel any better about Book Three.

I don't necessarily believe storytelling is about providing answers. I much prefer stories that ask questions and leave the answering to players/viewers/readers.

There will be answers in Book Five. Answers to all questions from Dreamfall and Chapters? God no. No, many questions will not be answered. But I think we'll provide enough satisfaction and closure to be able to move on and leave the Dreamer cycle behind us.

Actually i feel that progress of plot in Book Three and storytelling were much better than in Book Two. Book Two build never ending mysteries without resolution. Book Three shift the story faster and we even got some revelations. So in terms of plot i feel much better with Book Three than Book Two.

#386 Limerick

Limerick

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 19:54

I know this thread is really old (Pawlo made me feel a little better by posting today), but I just had to say, I truly have loved every moment of the DFC adventure so far, sure, there are frustrating moments, but, all in all, I have no regrets. I still think it is one of the best games I have played, even if it ended in Book 3, I would love the fact that it happened.

I don't understand truly, how people as a whole don't really understand what Kickstarter is. I, at least, view it as a commitment to do your best to fulfill promises made, but a full understanding that some of those promises even may turn out impossible. We, as backers, I think, don't have any special rights beyond those who purchase a retail game. The money, in my mind, is to help make a dream come true. A Kickstarter backing should be made only if you can afford to lose it all.

That said, I think RTG has done an outstanding job living up to their promises, and, I hope you can take to heart the true love many of us have for your series. Like has been said, we are TLJ fans, we won't give up on hoping for something to come out, but I also wish you and your team the best at pursuing your dreams. Because, that, is what I believe we have funded. Your dreams and ours. And I see nothing lacking in the way you have fulfilled them. I hope you can find time in your happy place, away from all the stressors of the world. I wish you the best in all you pursue. I hope too that you know, as I am sure I am not the only one, that there are plenty of us out here who truly believe in your vision. Even if you don't do a kickstarter exactly, if there is any way we can help, we will. No strings or expectations attached. We trust and believe in your vision. For me, that even extends to passing the torch, I know you will only pass the torch if you truly feel this will bring the appropriate value to the franchise, but I do hope at least you remain if only as the creative director (though I admit, most of me would still love to see you fulfill this, your vision is special, but I know you have plans and can appreciate that).

Like others have said, this is a book, but I feel it had to be said.

If TLJH never comes, know we will be hoping to see it until our dying breath, but no pressure :P We believe in you and in your vision which has opened our eyes to a world we had never imagined ourselves but yet, rings so true to our world.
  • Edreamer Jamil, khh, Mr Moo and 2 others like this

#387 dreamer_04

dreamer_04

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria

Posted 28 June 2015 - 22:53

The idea of never playing The Longest Journey Home makes me so extremely sad that I just teared up a bit as I was reading this topic, Still, it's out of our hands or RTG's, as the rights are with Funcom, so whatever happens, happens. In the meantime, I hope when DFC is finished all the people who were waiting or were sceptical buy it and RTG make a good profit. I just want to thank Ragnar, Dag, Martin and all the programmers, artists, actors and musicians for bringing us this amazing story and world again, I loved Book Three maybe even more than the previous ones, despite it being shorter. I played TLJ just when the Kickstarter was running, to see what all the fuss was about and it came to me at the perfect time, when I was feeling uncertain about what I wanted to do, like April and it really hit close to home. I still don't know what to do with myself, ofc, but at least I'm starting to get a tentative idea and that's something. In the meantime, I'll make sure to support RTG and I'll definitely buy Draugen when it comes out, even if I can't run it.

• Tina, MisterMetropolis, isThatAHippo and 2 others like this

#388 Kahvinarksu

Kahvinarksu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 05 March 2016 - 23:18

When I first played this game I was about 9 or 10 years old. Well, I didn't technically play it myself, my father did and I watched him. I was blown away by the game. I really liked April and I saw her as my big sister (don't laugh). Seeing her die in DF:TLJ made me really upset. I was seriously in pain and shock. Ragnar, I don't know if you will ever see this but I hope you will. I understand that it is not easy to make/fund a game. But I think that I'm just one of many reasons why you should finish April's story. Even if it's not in a game form. I would choose the game form of course because that's how I was initially drawn into this world (and I also adore Sarah's voice).

I just hope that you see this Ragnar. You've shaped my life in some ways with TLJ and all the prequels. I am willing to aid you as much as I can as a dedicated fan. Whether it'd be a Kickstarter campaign or whatever possible way I can do to help.

• popcorngal, khh, MisterMetropolis and 3 others like this

#389 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:19

Well, a 2D game is a lot cheaper than a 3D game. So if they could get funded to make DFC I expect they can get funded for TLJH too.

There are so many crappy games making money yearly (I'm looking at you EA and ubi) that I would hate if TLJH can be made because of money  :angry:

#390 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:20

Well, a 2D game is a lot cheaper than a 3D game. So if they could get funded to make DFC I expect they can get funded for TLJH too.

.....I would hate if TLJH can be made because of money  :angry:

I think its more due to RTG not wanting to use crowdfunding again. Can't say I blame them tbh.

Still, if their other projects do reasonably well, maybe that will enable TLJH as one possible future project.

#391 Adam Jensen

Adam Jensen

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 March 2016 - 22:15

I love how there's just been a gigantic necro and nobody minds :D

I can feel the hype starting to brew. It's going to get so real. Usually hype is very detrimental, but due to the model of distribution, I think the current situation is a little different. So many things are different here compared to a regular waiting-for-a-game-to-be-released thing, it's insane (good-insane). Maybe it's because I've never played anything episodic before, much less before all of the parts were released.

#392 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 15:58

Well, necroposting is only a real problem in big forums. In a forum with few to none active threads a necro is not a huge deal, IMHO.

• Future Markus, ct2651 and Adam Jensen like this

#393 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 23:11

This forum is not old enough for "gigantic" necros. :P
  • Future Markus and ct2651 like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#394 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 00:04

This forum is not old enough for "gigantic" necros. :P

yeah, just a bit necro, would you say? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users