Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 March 2015 - 16:51

(link to kickstarter update)

Dreamfall Chapters Book Two will be delayed 48 hours

Hi, backers!

It's in the headline but worth repeating:

Dreamfall Chapters Book Two: Rebels will be delayed until Thursday, March 12th, at 1900
Oslo headquarters time (CET). That's 11 AM PDT, 2 PM EDT and 6 PM GMT.

The reason for this brief delay is that we've found and fixed a couple of critical bugs today, and
we need another full day of testing with the next release candidate before we're comfortable
pushing the big green button.

We will of course continue to work through the evening to make sure there are no other
issues — stay tuned to Twitter for pictures of tired team members!

We sincerely apologise for the delay, but we're sure you want the same thing we do: a polished
and (mostly!) bug-free experience. We'd rather delay forty-eight hours than rush something out
without having tested it properly. We hope you all agree.

This will hopefully also enable us to release concurrently on Steam, GOG and Humble,
something we always strive to accomplish but can't always deliver on.

When it comes to early access, we have stated on several occasions that our goal is to provide
that with every episode, if possible. We opened up twenty-four hours early with Book One, and
we will do our best to provide the same early access to relevant backers with Book Three.
Because of the above-mentioned bugs, however, we have decided to not open up for early
access to Book Two. Above all, we don't want anyone to have a subpar or buggy experience.

We are working to put together something special for early access backers next month,
however, and we will update you on that as we get closer. It should hopefully be a nice surprise!

We hope you understand our decision to delay, and we apologise again for the late notice.
These things do happen in game development, particularly with a small team trying to do big
things (and Book Two is massive). We appreciate your support and continued patience, and we
hope and trust you'll be very, very happy with what we have in store for this Thursday!

Team RTG

• Tina, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 6 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#2 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 March 2015 - 16:52

Ouch.
  • Justanne77 likes this

#3 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 March 2015 - 16:53

(my like = "thanks for posting, khh")

• WorldsReunited, Em_TC, debro and 1 other like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#4 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2015 - 16:56

Still better late than never! Sounds like they're in need of pest control :P

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Ceres and 2 others like this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Dreamfall Chapters Transcript | Twitch Stream

#5 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 10 March 2015 - 16:56

I'm fine with this, as long as it's available on GOG before the weekend. If I have to wait until Monday, I'll be extremely angry with GOG.

• Crowboy likes this

#6 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 10 March 2015 - 16:57

Not unexpected, and slightly unfortunate, but also I think it's important that the update acknowledges our recent debates here (about early access and GoG/Steam disparity) in an excellent way. I will personally debate to tears anyone who's not satisfied with what's said here! (I'm mostly joking, btw).
  • NeilClaimer likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#7 Cyberbard

Cyberbard

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 March 2015 - 16:58

Take your time, RTG.

The downside with Kickstarters is the fact that you have to put up with impatient backers all the time. I suppose this isn't much different from putting up with normal customers in a non-crowd-funded project, but it feels like you could do well without the constant nagging and bickering.

In an ideal world, you wouldn't have had to announce the release date until after the final bug had been fixed, and the game was just ready on the shelf to be shipped. That way, you guys wouldn't have to pull your own hair over these crazy crunch-sessions and lose sleep over the game. But there you are, backers probably wouldn't understand, and would grow impatient without the release date news.

Either case, I'm glad that you worked it out, and I very much look forward to my first "Shift" in years!

• Justanne77 and byatrobe like this

#8 TheDreamer

TheDreamer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:00

Pro tip for the future = since you have deadlines and schedules obviously, maybe in the future add 3-5 days to your most critical deadline date and then release early instead if you can.

I know NOTHING about game devving, but one would THINK there is a way you could expect this earlier than few hours before release. I realize youre working hard, but the last we heard it was "there are no critical bugs/gamebreaking bugs" and now suddenly there are.

So, please for the sanity of all of us, when you decide a deadline for book 3, add maybe even a WEEK to that time. Thanks.

-love and peace <3
  • WorldsReunited, Em_TC, Clairobscur and 8 others like this

#9 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:03

Pro tip for the future = since you have deadlines and schedules obviously, maybe in the future add 3-5 days to your most critical deadline date and then release early instead if you can.

I know NOTHING about game devving, but one would THINK there is a way you could expect this earlier than few hours before release. I realize youre working hard, but the last we heard it was "there are no critical bugs/gamebreaking bugs" and now suddenly there are.

So, please for the sanity of all of us, when you decide a deadline for book 3, add maybe even a WEEK to that time. Thanks.

-love and peace <3

They added TWO WEEKS to their deadline for book two. Pro tip for the future = inform yourself of the facts before posting. Also, try to understand how complicated coding is and try to understand that shit happens and it's not always very quick and easy to fix a bug.

• Lee-m, NeilClaimer and Idinyphe like this

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:03

well, at least i'll be on time for work tomorrow.

See you all Thursday and we;ll do this again.
  • Mr Moo likes this

#11 TheDreamer

TheDreamer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:04

They added TWO WEEKS to their deadline for book two. Pro tip for the future = inform yourself of the facts before posting.

No need to get hostile. Im not omnipresent and all-knowing. I apologize for not being up to date on every single fact. :)

#12 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:05

Knew it

jHevh80.jpg

#13 Tamahome

Tamahome

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:06

I suggest that when the next release date guessing thread is made there should also be a secondary question of ''How much of a delay will there be from your predicted release date'' just to make things interesting. :P It's best they delay the episode and release it as bug free as possible so good on them, but I do hope that a new approach is taken where they decide on a release date and add a few days on top of that, and that is what will be announced as ''the'' release date, or maybe just don't announce a release date until 2-3 days before it actually comes out. 

It's great you are taking your time but it does sort of reflect badly on your scheduling and planing abilities, without any harsh feelings I have to say I feel you overestimated yourselves a few times already, which can happen to any studio really (CDPR to name a recent one) but hopefully you'll learn a bit from it.  

Anyway good luck and thanks for the hard work RTG, thanks for continuing the saga and doing a fab job of it. :)

#14 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:07

No need to get hostile. Im not omnipresent and all-knowing. I apologize for not being up to date on every single fact. :)

Sorry, it's just been bugging me lately how so many people around here just don't understand what they're going through and keep complaining about things that are beyond their control. Patience is a virtue. And it's not as if they've been silent about what's going on on their end. If they had been I'd completely understand the attitude people have been giving them.

Edited by bongboy, 10 March 2015 - 17:08.

• Dmm and NeilClaimer like this

#15 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:09

The downside with Kickstarters is the fact that you have to put up with impatient backers all the time. I suppose this isn't much different from putting up with normal customers in a non-crowd-funded project, but it feels like you could do well without the constant nagging and bickering.

I think the problem with Kickstarter is that people tend to get this idea that by giving money that allows a project to be completed when it may not have been otherwise, they therefore "own" more of it than they actually do and feel entitled to more than your average customer. I'm sure there'll be some unpleasant grumbles before Thursday, but those would be the same people grumbling if the game was released buggy.

• Morten, khh, Ceres and 3 others like this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Dreamfall Chapters Transcript | Twitch Stream

#16 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3076 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:11

I'm not that bothered by the delay, more bothered by the fact that it's coming on a Thursday which means there's definitely no chance of me starting till the day after. heh

#17 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:11

I think the problem with Kickstarter is that people tend to get this idea that by giving money that allows a project to be completed when it may not have been otherwise, they therefore "own" more of it than they actually do and feel entitled to more than your average customer. I'm sure there'll be some unpleasant grumbles before Thursday, but those would be the same people grumbling if the game was released buggy.

Exactly. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can either have it now and buggy or later and polished. I vote for the latter.

• Edreamer Jamil and Eveolene like this

#18 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:14

It's fine with me :)

Take more days if you have too (although I do understand that there can't be a series of updates announcing new delays without causing much frustration). I just hope that the 48 hours estimate is not cutting it close for the team. Nothing good comes out from overworking yourselves over several days -for one, maybe two days it's fine, but you've been doing this for the past few days already...

#19 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:14

As a programmer, I personally don't think it's smart to take only 48 hours when you've uncovered there are still critical bugs (even if they're fixed, as the Email suggests). I'd prefer to have a delay of a week at least, which gives RTG more time for appropriate testing. I hope they know what they're doing!

#20 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 March 2015 - 17:15

They added TWO WEEKS to their deadline for book two. Pro tip for the future = inform yourself of the facts before posting. Also, try to understand how complicated coding is and try to understand that shit happens and it's not always very quick and easy to fix a bug.

Be nice, not everyone knows the terrifying facts of game development!

It's not always code. In fact, it's often NOT code. In this case, it was a combination of smaller things — a collider in Book One that had mysteriously changed, for example — that just popped up.

The thing with building a game is that every time you fix one bug, another two appear. If you're lucky, they're small enough to not matter, but in this case we've been generating pesky bugs as we've been squashing others, and so a delay was necessary.

Maybe we could have made it tonight: everyone here is ready to work through the evening to ready a new release candidate, but it'd be very risky, and we want to steer clear of risk whenever possible. We risked it with Book One, it went okay, but there were still too many bugs.

And that's something we want to avoid this time around.

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 12 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users