• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 16:59

There may be several threads like this already, there may be a more appropriate place to post this within another thread. ( But I'm posting it here anyways)  :P 

Well I'm going to just be honest. What puts me off about this saga ... Dreamfall was a pretty decent game turning away from the beloved protagonist of the first game. In some ways the character of April Ryan was developed, as she was intermingled in the story of another lead protagonist,  but the character also faced severe changes. The character's story went into a very different direction. You might say that it had to, after she discovered she wasn't "the chosen one". There had to be a different direction for the character. 

There is no one way , direction the series had to go in. The writers could take it in any direction. I feel that video games always have one or a few favorite, relatable characters. April Ryan was my favorite character. To be honest when I get into a movie series or video game series, I do like the characters involved, often I like the main protagonist the story is centered around. Again, the game changed directions and the writers had every right to take it in whatever direction they wanted.

Granted this game is DreamFall The Longest Journey, suggesting it's another "adventure" within the series. April does change a lot, she has a long and full complex story between TLJ and Dreamfall. We don't really see a lot of that.We see a very changed character, and then she dies a rather lifeless death on screen.  

Spoiler

Any emotion the player feels for the character, isn't really inspired much through the game design. The first game actually has more emotional content with its video content and voice acting dialogs and that was a 2D game with barely any close ups. The reactions are terrible. I know it's just a game, that's why I'm able to hold it to my own standards. Like any one else I can play it, enjoy it or choose not to. I'm drawn to a game for it's story, emotional content and main characters. In this case the story at this point is weak, the emotional content is weak and the scene is done poorly. 

Spoiler

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 17:04

:) http://redthreadgame...e-make-of-her/ :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 March 2015 - 21:11

Shouldn't the parts about Chapters be in spoiler tags? It's just that there are people who may read this part of the forum who haven't played Chapters yet and end up being spoiled unintentionally.

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 March 2015 - 21:37

Nah, it's in the spoiler subforum and it's a long time since Book One was out. It's fine.

• Veen Friend likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 22:01

I think that the spoiler concern is more because this is the "TLJ" area, not the "DFC" area. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 March 2015 - 22:04

It's the TLJ saga. I'd still say that if you haven't played DFC Book One yet, you shouldn't be in any forum that says "Spoiler Warning!". 

April Ryan is my friend,

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 22:12

Fair, but I did make the distinction in the Spoiler Policy and it seems sort of pointless to have a separate section if this includes DFC, Also, the description of this section is "Discuss the story and lore from The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey." No mention of Chapters. 

Just my two cents.

• Riaise likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 March 2015 - 22:26

I went back and checked, looks like we forgot this section when we were discussing the official spoiler policy. So .. I don't know. Should we go back and discuss it?

April Ryan is my friend,

#9 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 23:22

I'll just spoiler tag it until  it's been decided. That way there's no immediate harm involved from here on.

Spoiler

#10 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:17

Spoiler

• Riaise, GistOfSpirit, yodagreen3 and 2 others like this

#11 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:17

Well, not surprisingly (given my other posts concerning April), but I quite disagree with your analysis, yodagreen, and here's why:

Spoiler

To conclude I'll use a quote from another of my most favorite stories of all time (the anime TV series Puella Magi Madoka Magica):

"If someone ever tells me it's a mistake to have hope then I'll just tell them they're wrong and I'll keep telling them until they believe, no matter how many times it takes."

So, don't lose hope, trust the Balance, (trust Ragnar) and trust yourself. 

Thus says I, a "hardcore" April-fan since 1999.  ;)  B)

• Dmm, yodagreen3, bongboy and 2 others like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#12 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:45

Spoiler

• Rowan37 and urzagc13 like this

#13 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 March 2015 - 23:48

I went back and checked, looks like we forgot this section when we were discussing the official spoiler policy. So .. I don't know. Should we go back and discuss it?

I guess I'm in the "since the title now has spoiler tags, I'm okay with it being discussed openly inside the thread" corner :)

If spoilers should somehow go into Book 2 territory, then I'll say spoiler tags inside thread.

But meh, I feel this is one of the edge cases of spoiler-land :P Hard to have a definitive answer. In any case, I feel the title now has a warning, so it's easy for people to steer clear if they want to :)

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users