• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Moregan

Moregan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 18:44

Hi did any one watch the unity 5 reveal last night?. I am looking forward too see what that means for Dreamfall chapters. I can see in the forums that Ragner has said that Dreamfall chapters will be ported to unity 5. but we will not see it in the upcoming book 2 but maybe in book 3 so I am curious to hear if book 1-2 will receive some sort of update/remaster later Like unity game wastland 2 and republique got.

Here are the links from last nights event

and the blacksmith demo (looking real nice)

I hope that the new 64bit editor will help you guys overcome some of the limitations that unity 4 has so that you can make the game that you are dreaming of. Anyway cant wait for book 2 next week keep up the good work :)

• Edreamer Jamil, Mr Moo and mrKnask like this

#2 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 04 March 2015 - 18:56

What, that's the ex EA president :)

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:07

I just have this picture in my head of unity 5 having this big button that says 'Import Unity 4 project' :)

Something tells me that dream is way off the mark.
  • agirlnamedbob, khh, CosmicD and 1 other like this

#4 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:14

I just have this picture in my head of unity 5 having this big button that says 'Import Unity 4 project' :)

Something tells me that dream is way off the mark.

This is what Starr Long (aka Darkstarr/Lord Blackthorne) had to say about the move, in the case of Shroud of the Avatar...

Moving to Unity 5 requires us to redo and retouch just about every graphical asset in the game; including textures, camera rigs, and lighting setups. Since this is such a large endeavor, our goal this release was basically, “Please make it at least look as good as it did in Unity 4.” We believe we accomplished this goal, however there might be a few errors still in the build, including missing textures (will show up as bright pink) or incorrect shaders (which can just make things look “wrong”). There may also be some scenes that still need lighting adjustments as well. In some cases, though, we believe the game is already looking much better. For instance, with Unity 5 we are now doing some post process edge shadows that really make the geometry pop.

• khh, Lee-m, CosmicD and 1 other like this

#5 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:26

God, I loved that! I know nothing about computers/programingengines/making games but I would guess there's more to it than a tec-movie thought. Sure, the graphics are beyond nice but there's more to a game than that right? How was the tec-movies for Unity4? I really am asking, I'm not trying to be an asshole or something. It's just that I don't know anything about these things. Like, if we forget about graphics, in what way will Unity5 help RTG/ DFC?

(Just to make myself clear; I'm not saying "stick to U4, I just want to learn!) I'll just trow this in here... :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#6 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:30

God, I loved that! I know nothing about computers/programingengines/making games but I would guess there's more to it than a tec-movie thought. Sure, the graphics are beyond nice but there's more to a game than that right? How was the tec-movies for Unity4? I really am asking, I'm not trying to be an asshole or something. It's just that I don't know anything about these things. Like, if we forget about graphics, in what way will Unity5 help RTG/ DFC?

(Just to make myself clear; I'm not saying "stick to U4, I just want to learn!) I'll just trow this in here... :)

Yeh I was also wondering what elements of the tech demo highlighted the improvements.

While this probably won't answer that question here's one of the demo videos for Unity 4, released in 2012...

• mrKnask likes this

#7 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:36

I think the game engine in Unity 5 has been substantially improved, especially when it comes to utilizing multicore systems. That would be huge for RTG, if it works as advertised.

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, CosmicD and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#8 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:53

So essentially they have to rehash the game completely for ps4 ?

#9 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:58

Yeh I was also wondering what elements of the tech demo highlighted the improvements.

While this probably won't answer that question here's one of the demo videos for Unity 4, released in 2012...

-Snip-

Thanks for that thought, laughts were had (and it's kinda funny/scary to see how much graphics have improved...)

Maybe weird question: Did the "bad" graphics of old make games feel more real? I remember playing Silent hill on PS back in the day, and that was crazy good, then... Silent hill 2 on PS2, no way to make it better than this (still talking about graphics)...

But now... As graphics gets better I feel more and more disconnected but I still crave for better... I think it's just because they use too much of the budget on graphics, nevermind the story... Mistake folks, mistake!!!

mrKnask preaching to the choir :P   

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 March 2015 - 20:01

I think the game engine in Unity 5 has been substantially improved, especially when it comes to utilizing multicore systems. That would be huge for RTG, if it works as advertised.

When RTG announced the PS4 version, I do remember making a comment as to how on earth they would get it working on that awful PS4 cpu. I guess its always been the case they would have to move it over to unity 5 at some point. I assume what works for the PS4 will also be true for the PC. Such as better performance on AMD cpus (which is what the PS4 has anyway).
  • khh likes this

#11 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 March 2015 - 20:04

So essentially they have to rehash the game completely for ps4 ?

What do you mean by rehash completely? 

They have to upgrade to Unity 5, but that doesn't mean they need to completely remake the game from scratch. That would be insane.

It's not going to be a straight magic "port this over" button. They'll still have to test and trouble shoot and all that. Much the same way they have to test and troubleshoot the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of the game separately. 

I'm in no way an expert on this, mind you. But I wouldn't freak out too much. (Yet.) 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#12 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 20:45

I'll comment again, even thought I know nothing. I guess U4-5 is some work, but it's not like going from Unity4 to unreal... I'll guess it will be smoother, but I don't think we'll see Book 1-2 in U5 until everythings out, and that's fine (for me)!

#13 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 04 March 2015 - 20:53

Well if the team does it and releases it with Book 3, that would apply to the existing game, so chapters 1 -3, due to the way the game is constructed. It all needs to run on the one engine

• Riaise and mrKnask like this

#14 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 21:05

You're right, my bad..

#15 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 March 2015 - 22:30

Even if DFC were to run with double the frame rate, and amazingly better everything, I'm sure some would piss and moan express their welcome opinion about how DFC book 1 and 2 now don't look exactly the same as with Unity 4  ... :P

• Morten, Edreamer Jamil and Crowboy like this

#16 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:57

What do you mean by rehash completely? 

They have to upgrade to Unity 5, but that doesn't mean they need to completely remake the game from scratch. That would be insane.

It's not going to be a straight magic "port this over" button. They'll still have to test and trouble shoot and all that. Much the same way they have to test and troubleshoot the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of the game separately. 

I'm in no way an expert on this, mind you. But I wouldn't freak out too much. (Yet.) 

Well, if they say that all textures and animations and rigs have to be looked at, that's what I mean by rehash, like they would have to do a pass on all these assets that start to derp out in unity 5.

But since they need to do that for the ps4 port anyway, it's maybe useful and has it's merrits for the pc version also ? I mean I wonder if we could at some point benefit from that work and have a huge update on the entire game, and have more optimized cpu managment in the process ?

#17 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1059 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 March 2015 - 14:02

Porting it to PS4 means having to utilize Unity 5, and when we do that and release the game for PS4, I can't see any reason why we wouldn't want to utilize Unity 5 for the PC versions too. It might not be at the exact same time, since there may be different requirements and limitations, but creating a PS4 version with Unity 5 and then not moving to Unity 5 for PC at all is not something I can see happening. :)

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, khh and 8 others like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#18 Moregan

Moregan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 16:42

thats great to hear. i hope that unity 5 can help you guys. especially in scenes like europolis where unity 4 realy showed its weaknes where we had verry poor framerates until RTG patched it i assume that some objects where removed in order to increase stability and improve framerates. this may not in the future be necessary ?

• Edreamer Jamil and Mr Moo like this

#19 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 March 2015 - 16:58

thats great to hear. i hope that unity 5 can help you guys. especially in scenes like europolis where unity 4 realy showed its weaknes where we had verry poor framerates until RTG patched it i assume that some objects where removed in order to increase stability and improve framerates. this may not in the future be necessary ?

Yeah, I want the walking shadow-y people (on the other bank of the river and the catwacks up high) baaack*!  :megatear:

;)  :P  :blush:

*I assume they are still gone, I haven't fiddled with the game recently, I'll do so this weekend in preparation for Book 2.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#20 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1059 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 March 2015 - 19:55

Optimizations in Book One were mostly achieved by improving assets and code we already had in place and not as much removing assets. As mentioned, the "shadowy people" had to go, but that was more a matter of reducing the memory footprint than a framerate improvement.

Framerate improvements were made mostly by optimizing occlusion culling, lighting and reducing texture sizes of smaller and more insignificant assets.  :)

• Crowboy likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users